The most annoying terrain in PzC?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

The most annoying terrain in PzC?

Post by Panzerpimp »

So, I am replaying the Allied Corps now. Playing the Cobra scenario. I guess I forgot how annoying the bocage terrain is.
Every unit on the map is stuck in the bocage hex. So slow. :(
So, for me the most annoying terrain is the bocage? What do you think? Which scenarios have the most awful terrain?
Make love, not war.
slowgtp
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: The most annoying terrain in PzC?

Post by slowgtp »

Bocage is the worst, probably followed by swamps.
sauvequipeut
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by sauvequipeut »

Has to be desert...if the reduced infantry movement isn't bad enough, the reduced resupply is a real killer.
Erasermarek
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Erasermarek »

Imagine Rain + Mud and Swamp or Bocage...Could it be worse? For me there are also worse things and that is river change (freezes). You have set the defense and then the river freezes and all your plans are thrown in the trash.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

as I mentally prepare for Vyazma on Ultimate difficulty I cannot conceive of any more difficult terrain than all of it after 2 consecutive days of rain....ugggh!
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Panzerpimp

Post by Panzerpimp »

Erasermarek wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:15 am Imagine Rain + Mud and Swamp or Bocage...Could it be worse?
I had a similar moment in the Alternate Grand Campaign mod. There was a map with a lot of bocage hexes and rainy weather.
So bocage, muddy ground + rain. I made a mistake when moving units and one of the super tanks from my core got completely stuck in bocage in the middle of the map for about 3 turns. It was very annoying.
goose_2 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:08 pm as I mentally prepare for Vyazma on Ultimate difficulty I cannot conceive of any more difficult terrain than all of it after 2 consecutive days of rain....ugggh!
I remember Vyazma from the Grand Campaign. It was not that bad. Just some mud. :)
But on ultimate difficulty with reduced turn limit I guess it will be truly horrible. :(
Make love, not war.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Good point Goose2.
You could play 'mud glorious mud' on an endless loop to add to the immersive experience.
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

Yes, anything when it rains and you're hurrying towards the final objective or two and your ground units can hardly move and your bombers become useless!
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

rubyjuno wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:37 am Yes, anything when it rains and you're hurrying towards the final objective or two and your ground units can hardly move and your bombers become useless!
Yeah whenever I have consecutive turns of inclement weather it always makes me miss the PG2 extra hero all weather, that allows planes to attack, even at reduced effectiveness in rain and snow.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
IggyDaDino
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by IggyDaDino »

I'd say forest because I tend to be armour-heavy and you can only bring so much stuff to peel infantry that get stuck in there. Forest is also much more common in the grand campaign I'd say than the other terrains and thus unavoidable, e.g. the objective has 1 road and that's through it.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

SPArt (especially wurfrahmen) and an overstrength flammpanzer can work wonders on soft targets in tough terrain. However both are magnets for enemy aircraft so probably need experienced quad SPAA or a fighter to keep them more or less safe.
faos333
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by faos333 »

slowgtp wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:45 pm Bocage is the worst, probably followed by swamps.
totally agree
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Yrfin »

Jungle. Never seen it :)
When im died - I must be a killed.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Swamps are pretty annoying, but I'll agree that bocage is not easy to love.
Afrika Korps has jungle which is more or less like forests, However, in one or two scenarios the occasional jungle hex shows as clear which is very tough on your tanks if you forget to check the description and park your Tiger 2 there just before the HW infantry come to play.
MaxF
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxF »

Swamp is the worse. Bocage has same handicaps but at least it looks beautiful. I prefer to stuck in a garden than in a swamp.
But I remember my first campaigns where I didnt understand/see the bocages, couldn't understant why my units couldnt go in what appeared to be just clear terrain...
I had to open the Library one day to see what was a bocage - I would have hated it, if only I knew it was there!

Return to “Panzer Corps”