BrucErik CSD Studio

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: BrucErik CSD Studio

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 pm Finished. Version 1.2* of WW40 is available. These are the only changes:

03MakinenRoadblock (exit trigger Turn Start and +10 AA gun supply)
05SummaSisu (exit trigger Turn Start)
06Terenttila (+10 AA gun supply)
07Lahde (+10 AA gun supply)
08Muolaa (exit trigger Turn Start and +10 AA gun supply)
09SummaHardestDay (exit trigger Turn Start and +10 AA gun supply)
10Kirvesmaki (+10 AA gun supply)
12Lemetti (exit trigger Turn Start)
13TuppuraIsland (exit trigger Turn Start and +10 AA gun supply)
14Viipuri (+10 AA gun supply)

*If by some chance you downloaded version 1.1 for the short time that it was up there, please download version 1.2. See my next post for an explanation.

For version 1.2:
- restored all RP bonuses from 50 to 100.

Note: This version 1.2 does not include the new campaign introduction image.

The beta download link is the same:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BU31hi ... sp=sharing
*Here is a post from the Continuation War 1941 beta thread, reproduced here:
Erik2 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:00 pm 10Karhumaki

I cheated (added enough resources) at the start of this scenario, upgrading all infantry to ski units.
ColonelY wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:58 am 10Karhumaki

Well, I had to give myself several hundreds of extra RPs too, even at the commencement of this scenario... :roll:
Well, that's the last straw! Or straws! :x (Kindly said, though. :wink: )

I should have stuck with my gut feeling and left all of those RP bonuses at 100 instead of 50. Instead, I listened to youse guys wallowing in RPs to start WW40 and thought there was a glut, so I cut them all back to 50. Then came complaints in later scenarios: "Not enough RPs!" Same now in CW41! :x ( :wink: )

I approach CSD systematically; it's what I do (did), creating spreadsheets and apply algorithms in such matters as resource points. I believe in my system, as I must because I don't actually play out these scenarios and campaigns. I spend too much time designing them! Sometime down the road (when I have mostly forgotten), I will play them for enjoyment and maybe then adjust them as needed for my own tastes.

So for now, yes, RPs are calculated based on average costs (and CPs, of course) and are awarded as the player needs to purchase core units. The +1 RP per unit, per turn is debatable, of course, but I'm sticking to that too.

Also, RP bonuses will be 100 at a time instead of 50. Maybe if my system is too stingy (until recently, I thought it was too generous), this will make up for it. I would much rather have sufficient RPs than to see two experienced players needing to purchase warbonds toward the end of the campaign.

And as always, once I turn these scenarios and campaigns back over to Erik, he is welcome to make any subsequent changes that he deems advisable.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik, please hold off. There is a version 1.3 of WW40 coming.

Here's yet another rule of thumb: In campaigns, avoid general "Do not lose X units" if any of them could have been core at any time. My notes:

Core Units and 'Do Not Lose X Units' Objectives

In campaigns, for objectives such as "Do not lose (a number of a type of units)" (that is, the player's own units), if these units have been eligible for core purchases and any have been destroyed in previous scenarios, they "carry forward" and count toward the amount of units that are checked for being "Alive" or "Destroyed."

Avoid this type of objective unless it is definitely not inclusive of previous core units having been destroyed. Better to tie such an objective to specific units that are already on the map in the scenario.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:36 pm Erik, please hold off. There is a version 1.3 of WW40 coming.
Okay, version 1.3 is uploaded. The beta download link is the same:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BU31hi ... sp=sharing

Only two scenarios were potentially affected: 11Honkaniemi and, of course, 15Turku. As for the others, never have I been so welcoming of seeing verbs like "Capture," "Destroy," "Decimate," "Defeat," and "Kill"! :)

In 11Honkaniemi there was the objective to not lose a tank and in 15 Turku, it was to not lose more than 3 planes. The problem was, the game might count destroyed core tanks and planes in the "Alive" and "Destroyed" conditions. As you know, clicking "Core" in those conditions just narrows it down to core units, which is self-defeating here, and unclicking "Core" means all/any tanks and planes.

So I constructed a series of triggers that counted the destruction of one of the specific aux tanks on the map in 11Honkaniemi and four of the specific planes in 15Turku to fail the respective objectives. Both series were tested and they work.

Hopefully this is the last reissue of WW40 from this end. Back to CW41 to search for more "Do not lose X units" objectives.
- Bru
Erik2

Winter War 1940 1.3

Post by Erik2 »

Winter War 1940 1.3

Link updated in first post.

Various scenario changes by Master Bru.
Erik2

Continuation War 1941 v1.0

Post by Erik2 »

It is official.
Download link in first post.

Have fun
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Thanks, guys! :D
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik, a minor matter; I forgot to move these air deployment hexes to the new airfield location.

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (408.15 KiB) Viewed 2274 times

Version 1.0 beta link is updated or if you just want to download 10Karhumaki, here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MwccTP ... sp=sharing
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Here is another proposed campaign image file for Winter War 1940 (the original color painting is still included in that file):

image.png
image.png (458.7 KiB) Viewed 2264 times

Assuming it's alright with SA-Kuva; we are non-profit after all. :wink:

So the trilogy would look like this:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (301.49 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (336.88 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (319.19 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Updated winter stuff, kept the version numbers.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

As we agreed, while waiting for work on Free France to begin, I am jazzing up New Britain with tidbits such as these:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (276.29 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (305.08 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

Also, there will a fourth scenario, Jacquinot Bay, which will feature Australians only, their having taken over operations on New Britain from the American 1st Marine and 40th Divisions. No historical stretches; just a further tightening of the "Ring Around Rabaul." This extends the campaign into 1945 so the new title will be New Britain 1943-1945.

Incidentally, I tailor these popup messages so that they are never truncated in 8.3.0. I am aware that in 8.4.x, changes to the fonts and text boxes will cause some of my texts to overflow the message box. However, I believe I saw the introduction of a scroll bar when I looked at 8.4.x and, if so, all should be well.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Erik's very first attempt at creating a campaign gets the Bru treatment.
Lovely.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:37 pm Erik's very first attempt at creating a campaign gets the Bru treatment.
Lovely.
It was pretty darned good for a first attempt, IMO.
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

WinterWar40

There's still some minor issue with 12Lemetti that I've encountered by chance, if you care to check it. Happened on (the enemy's) turn 12 as the last of the kitchen-staff-conscripts killed himself on one of my units. The objective changed to "complete", but none of my "kitchen" units were removed then.

There's only a minor concern of mine in 13TuppuraIsland: if it's really okay to spawn wounded men in the towns that are already occupied by the enemy?

14Viipuri
This was a good one. Finally some tracks... :wink:
Good action almost throughout the turn limit. But you did not change the engineers AI task here, I guess, as there was no mine-clearing action anywhere. It's just that this delays the heavy inf. and arty units arrival on the front up until the point where the rest of the army's destroyed by then.
As a minor suggestion I'd leave the sec. obj. "hold x towns" open until the end instead of being "complete" from the start.
Also I'd suggest to garrison the northern supply hex of the general's surprise flanking-attack:

Screenshot 147.jpg
Screenshot 147.jpg (999.61 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

Thanks, guys, it was fun. 8) :D
Onto the Continuation, then...
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Whoa! I see, Mister Softee is no more. Holy moly, back to Erik's "usual" standards in difficulty...

I did use the #overtime cheat quite much TBH, but as I'm playing out of my mod, I'm not sure how that might affect difficulty. Naval scens play differently for sure. (Therefore you may wait for other feedback before you start adjusting anything in that regard.)

You should recheck all your "no ski troops" triggers to activate the "core units" checkbox in the remove unit effect. It works fine with the "infantry only" trigger. The reason is this: If you use an imported core and want to deploy the ski units, they will be bought, and then undeployed. The other trigger works in the way that the imported core units stay in an "imported" state and my RP are refunded.

01Salla
I made an "error" and placed mines in the southern corridor. That way I never saw any tanks and did not achieve the sec. objective. Why not add some tanks in the center-attack, too? And maybe rather make it two destroyed units.
I think the Finns income gets increased a turn too late, should be the same turn with the reinforcements IMO.
Please don't use the "check unit count" condition anymore when it comes to "don't lose X units" objectives. The "kills&casualties" effect works well for that. As I tend to "revive" my dead core units if possible, the objective will never fail in this scen.

02Kuolajarvi
This one's rather frustrating. A narrow supply corridor to defend, with mines, foxholes and enemy infantry everywhere, hiding in some forest, lurking, and always eager to cut my supply lines. I added myself 10 turns and needed 5 actually. Still quite difficult, I reloaded more than once a turn in this one....
Bruce, with this scen my advice to you would be the same as with Erik once, play it for yourself and then decide the turn limits and enemy forces. I think it's too much as it is now.

Screenshot 149.jpg
Screenshot 149.jpg (174.08 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

"There is der Hinterhalt out there" sounds very strange. Big "H" and make it "ein Hinterhalt".
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

End-turn screenshot:

Screenshot 150.jpg
Screenshot 150.jpg (988.29 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

And the Soviet insignias look somewhat strange here...
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

03Bengtskar

Okay, this one's on the very easy side again. I guess the map was too small for any real invasion action with them enemy troops debarking for themselves(?).

There's an exploit using engineers possible, making them enter the impassable area. See this thread.
I've lost the water tank immediately after the second Soviet reinforcements wave hit the map. Naval units are just too strong against land units. But as said, this may be due to my mod's changed mechanics (and might be prevented in a replay).
The arriving Jaegers (they're still spelled JaegArs in the text) units are not needed IMO, the ships on the other hand are.

In here (and at least the next scen) there's the recurring problem with objectives being evaluated at turn start and achieving them on the last turn on the scen. I'm not sure if this can be fixed using Shard's table of the trigger-evaluation-order.
The early victory trigger must have fired before the evaluation of the "rid the island" trigger, because it was unchecked in the victoy screen:

Screenshot 154.jpg
Screenshot 154.jpg (833.83 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Similar problem with the next scen:

Screenshot 153.jpg
Screenshot 153.jpg (982.38 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

11Kirkenes

I've played on middle difficulty this time, and now I think it's too easy. The German dogfighters are incredibly strong. I've lost one, had to repair one for 5HP and that was it. Battle was effectively over after turn 6 as the enemy was unable to attack with anything by then. Mopping up the skies after that. Maybe one or two dogfighters less for the Germans, or some older plane models? And each of the eastern and western areas should get one less AA.

04Ienikuvaara

The prim. objectives are okay to achieve, but the Partisans objective? I found it impossible to hunt them down and destroy them all in the allotted turn limit. One or two, yes, but following them with my regular infantry through dense forests and such? Losing efficiency each step and them Partisans repairing to no end while defending against attacking Soviet troops at the same time? As you see in the above screenshot I cheated myself enough turns solely for the purpose of hunting them down. I had to cut the whole enemy supply or it would have been truely "impossible" to kill them all. Maybe reduce the amount to two or assign them to a different faction with no income.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

05Sainio

Nice. Nothing to add besides this little "issue" here, that you should do something about, I think:

Screenshot 156.jpg
Screenshot 156.jpg (955.5 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:14 pm [...]
04Ienikuvaara

The prim. objectives are okay to achieve, but the Partisans objective? I found it impossible to hunt them down and destroy them all in the allotted turn limit. One or two, yes, but following them with my regular infantry through dense forests and such? Losing efficiency each step and them Partisans repairing to no end while defending against attacking Soviet troops at the same time? As you see in the above screenshot I cheated myself enough turns solely for the purpose of hunting them down. I had to cut the whole enemy supply or it would have been truely "impossible" to kill them all. Maybe reduce the amount to two or assign them to a different faction with no income.
Indeed, this part is quite tricky.

Here I would rather vote for destroying 2 of them (out of the 4) but letting them replenish as well... :wink:
Anduril
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Anduril »

Winterwar 1939, Scenario 08 Kotisaari

The text for the event 20_59 is missing.
08Trigger.jpg
08Trigger.jpg (383.6 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
Great campaign so far. :lol:
Sorry for my bad scoolenglish
https://www.designmodproject.de/

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”