Need evaluators for a new campaign

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Need evaluators for a new campaign

Post by Navman2854 »

Indeed, that's perfectly right. :D Therefore, I'll vote yes in this case. :wink:

Navman, do you remember which scenarios this could to be changed in?
[/quote]

Not offhand but I'll go back and look today. Probably be awhile before I post results...
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

Okay, got that done faster than I thought I would. Through the first 7 scens, only 6-Volt and 7-Barb. Both have exit hexes at top and bottom of maps. I know this gives players more than one option; up to conboy on what he wants to do of course. My suggestion for both scens and maybe any of the rest where this occurs is to remove the map top hexes. Depending on where air deployment is of course. The air deployment is mostly middle to bottom for these 2 scens; so for realism I think the bottom hexes are the way to go. Once again, just an :idea:
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by conboy »

Thanks, guys.
I'll fix per your advice.
This is great -- Thanks!

conboy
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

11 Dragoon

It looks like most of Allied units have zero exp while the German units may have up to 10 exp (!). Is this intended?
My 3 core 8-9- exp air units are replaced with zilch-exp units. Sorry, that makes no sense.
So in general it looks like the unit exp is all over the place.

All the German trucks around Butler's final obj is just noise IMO.

I would move the 'inflict 55 casualties' to a sec obj.

All phase II objectives were captured on turn-13, still the objectives failed.

After the rest of the pri objs were captured on turn-18, I nuked my way to Alsace.

This scenario needs some additional work, but balance is good.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Erik2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:18 pm 11 Dragoon

[...] All phase II objectives were captured on turn-13, still the objectives failed. [...]
Yes, but this is normal, because the obj is actually to "Take all Phase II Objectives <Turn 13", so before turn 13. :wink:

I agree with Erik about putting the "55 casualties" as sec obj and, of course, about unit experience (I've written a lot about "consider the experience that our units have already gained" with suggestions and examples). 8)
Last edited by ColonelY on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

14 VosS: 8)

That’s an awesome scenario, based on a huge map (probably the biggest so far)!

Well, we’ve already missed Betty… and now Ted, damn this weather, we aren’t lucky on this either! :lol:

The part “End Scenario Early:!: does deserve some attention; the rest of my comments are more like a bunch of very little details (although worth noticing! :wink: ) and few little ideas/suggestions.

So, let’s go, guys!
Various:

-> Remove the “v1.0” of the scen name
-> Scen descr: “7th army and VI Corp” -> uppercase for “Army
-> Event title a little too long: “3d ID -- Prepare to Attack” -> maybe “3d ID, Prepare to Attack” shall do the trick?
-> The US 36th ID (in the South) has no Engineers at all! :( What about adding one unit to them? :idea: These could indeed be useful because this Division will encounter some minefield on its sector, plus some heavy fighting in some woods and its surroundings…
-> Related to the event “1/141st Bn Cut Off!” :D , we see this unit spawning on Hill 645… why not giving this one actually its name “1/141st Bn”? :idea:

-> Visual aspect on map: probably better to move the airfield NE of Etival a single hex towards the West… otherwise, with a road in the middle of it, it looks rather strange…
-> We have 3 objectives of “Clearing all enemy units <XYZ hexes”… the last one (Bonhomme Pass) in the single where we have no unit counter to help us. Is it on purpose?

-> Ah, if I’ve understood correctly, when talking about CCA and CCB (previous post!), actually CC means “Combat Command”… is this correct? If yes, then this could (shortly) be mentioned in the briefing of the scenario where it’s question of many units named either “CCA” or “CCB” + something… :wink:
:!: ISSUE(S) with the sec obj “End Scenario Early”, as it doesn’t trigger the “Major Victory” right now!
The conditions were fulfilled on the 26th turn (40 turns max for the scenario, less than 30 turns to achieve this!), but the “Major Victory” was actually NOT triggered… :shock:

So, I’ve made several tests to clear up a little, to rough out the problem... Here are the results (telegraphic style! :wink: ):

Remaining obj to achieve (only these here!)-> how was it afterwards (like marked as failed or achieved or something)
(1) Clear near Bonhomme -> still the blue “?” :?
(2) Seize all final pri obj -> considered as failed with the red “X” :shock:
(3) Take all sce obj -> considered as achieved (even if all sec obj haven’t still been taken, of course!)… :D
(4) End Scen Early -> still blue “?”… :?

So, for (1) and (4), it must be modified to be actually considered as “achieved”. :wink:
For (2), it follows the actual instruction which should be exactly inverted in the trigger (I’ve taken a quick look at it). :wink: => By the way, this obj will be re-evaluated at the end anyway and then (only) switching to actually achieved. But we're not supposed to stay until the end once the conditions of "End Scen Early" are fulfilled, right? :o
For (3), this works as it should! This one is ok. 8)

If I’ve understood correctly, to trigger the Major Victory, the success of this part of the scenario must change all the obj not yet achieved (blue "?") to immediately achieved (green "check" symbol). Like this, with all achieved, the Major Victory should be immediate as well! :D

Once these 3 flags have been taken before the 30th turn… when the next attack/clic is made, then (only :? ) comes an event, a Pop-up about “Germans Surrender!”.

So, this event is triggered correctly once the "End Scenario Early" conditions are fulfilled - although why not exactly immediately? :?
And there is no picture right now. :shock:
It talks about Germans surrendering at Strasbourg and about a “Major Victory” that is achieved… But nothing changes in front of us and the turns can continue like nothing happened. :shock:

(And the troops defending Strasbourg haven’t vanished either – although this is not the point, because this triggered Major Victory won’t allow us to see them anyway! :wink: )

So, I’ve continued to play, taken all flags anyway… At the end, all was considered as achieved (even this famous red X has disappeared :wink: ), except that there was still the “?” in front of the “End Scenario Early” :? and thus it was considered only as a Minor Victory… And this, although the Major Victory was achieved, in theory, on the 26th turn already. :evil:

When I was looking at the triggers, I’ve actually been really surprised to see that under this “End Scenario Early” condition there was 2 tests like “Check Hex Owner”…
Only 2?! :shock: But, scrolling amongst the locations for this "End Scen Early" objective, we do see 3 “Red Arrows” (Phalsbourg and Saverne in the North, for one part of the pincer, and another location in the East)… 2 tests “Check Owner” for 3 locations?! :shock: Maybe that’s the point? :wink:

:idea: Then I think one should as well invert what is now made about “Seize all final pri obj” (failed -> achieved!) and add the part about “Clear near Bonhomme” (so from totally “neutral” to achieved as well)…
(This last part being quite far away from our starting zones, it’s unlikely to have been cleared much sooner anyway.)

‘Not super easy to explain; hope I made it somehow clear.
Well, now few more “classical” elements:

Brief.:
-> “the US 3rd DIv Commander” -> more like “3rd Div”…
-> “Meurte River” -> “Meurthe River”
-> “45th Infantry DIvision” -> again, “Division” (with small “i")
-> “They [the Germans!] won't give up anything and expect hard counterattacks.” -> As it’s certainly not the Germans that do expect counterattacks, what about adding something like: :idea: “They won't give up anything and we must expect hard counterattacks.”

-> There is here something I haven’t understood :o : “[…] 3d Division, press the attack on the German center, reach the Muerte, wait for […]” -> “reach the Muerte” (like the Deads/Death in Spanish?)… is it an expression or an actual location, because I’ve seen not any single other reference at “Muerte” in this entire scenario… :?

-> “Raon l'Etape” -> “Raon-l'Étape” (i.e. same spelling that on the map)… this appears as well once on an obj and another time in an event text…
-> “Jeanmenil” -> “Jeanménil” (briefing only; it’s correct as well right now on map)
Text of obj.:
-> About Pontoon Bridge: “US 3rd DIv” -> “US 3rd Div”
-> “End Scenario Early”: “If allies form […]” -> uppercase “If Allies form”
Names on map:
“Le Panges” -> or maybe “Lépanges” but for this one I’m actually not sure:?
“Rouges Eaux” -> “Rouges-Eaux”
“Le Salle” -> “La Salle”
“La Houssiere” -> “La Houssière”
“St Die” -> “St Dié” (as well as in an event title and 2 different event texts)
More various:
-> Unit name: “106th Recce” -> a double-space to remove…
-> Event texts: “to hiill 645” -> “to Hill 645”
-> Major Victory text: “Next stop, the Rhine RIver! (after we clear Colmar...)” -> “Next stop, the Rhine River! (After we clear the Colmar Pocket...)”

And… well, I think that’s more or less all!

Phew!

This scenario in itself is trully excellent. Just several modifications, slight corrections and so one, and it will be perfect! :D
The biggest point right now is definitely this story about the “End Scenario Early”.

Cheers up! Keep up the good work! 8)
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Navman2854 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm Okay, got that done faster than I thought I would. Through the first 7 scens, only 6-Volt and 7-Barb. [...]
It's okay if I let you check that, too, for the remaining scenarios? :D

As you go along, of course, there's no rush... :wink:
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Erik2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:18 pm 11 Dragoon

[...] All the German trucks around Butler's final obj is just noise IMO. [...]
:idea: Maybe these trucks could just vanish once the obj has just been achieved?

As this kind of thing happens already from time to time throughout this campaign and as here it may be helpful indeed. :wink:

(I've at the time encountered some slight problems with these damaged trucks moving around and even outsupplying several of my units, and that once the obj has been achieved, once these trucks have already taken largely enough damage.)
conboy

Post by conboy »

Thanks guys, having the trucks vanish is achieved is a good idea. Maybe I can find a way to set up the trigger to make it happen.

conboy
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

ColonelY wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:36 pm
Navman2854 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm Okay, got that done faster than I thought I would. Through the first 7 scens, only 6-Volt and 7-Barb. [...]
It's okay if I let you check that, too, for the remaining scenarios? :D

As you go along, of course, there's no rush... :wink:
Yeah, no sweat. I'm on the first Anzio right now, everything looks good air wise. Ground wise, I can get the objs in 11 turns but how the hell do you fight off that counterattack? For a few turns okay, but 7 turns? I know historically Anzio was a near disaster but what the hell happened to my AT and ART units? They take their guns and go home?
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

8-Anzio-B = Okay, what's the key here? I get the objs in 11 turns, then all that does is trigger the massive German counter attack from the N and NE. I have some ART but no AT for the 3 RCTs. The TAC air helps but nowhere near enough. What am I missing? Also, there's 2 ART for the 7th and 15 in core force but not enough CPs to deploy? They would help but more critical is the lack of AT. It's been awhile since I read anything about Anzio, historically was there a lack of AT for the US? This one is very frustrating. With the balance of forces, I don't see any way of holding those objs. I don't nuke my way thru scens but this one has me very tempted :?
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Casablanca

I suggest moving the golden flag over the village(Tit Mellil). No supply and there is no one who defends this golden flag in the desert:

conboy(17).jpg
conboy(17).jpg (765.44 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

3d Division Torch.jpg
3d Division Torch.jpg (104.21 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Navman2854 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:49 am 8-Anzio-B = Okay, what's the key here? I get the objs in 11 turns, then all that does is trigger the massive German counter attack from the N and NE. I have some ART but no AT for the 3 RCTs. The TAC air helps but nowhere near enough. What am I missing? Also, there's 2 ART for the 7th and 15 in core force but not enough CPs to deploy? They would help but more critical is the lack of AT. It's been awhile since I read anything about Anzio, historically was there a lack of AT for the US? This one is very frustrating. With the balance of forces, I don't see any way of holding those objs. I don't nuke my way thru scens but this one has me very tempted :?
:?

Really try not nuke your way through! :wink: Well, first things first. It seems there is definitely some issue with the units at your disposal... :?:

If I'm not mistaken, in 8 AnzB, you have almost enough LCPs to deploy all your units. Only 2 US LCPs are missing for now (problem already indicated)... which means you can actually play with all of them, except (for now - this will be corrected in later versions) the less important of them, namely the two hallftracks (Signal & Ordnance).

When you write "there's 2 ART for the 7th and 15 in core force" :shock: I'm just thinking: "Well, that's may certainly be because you haven't disbanded some units in due course." :wink:

For example, if by "2 ART for the 7th" :? you mean a "105mm Howitzer" (towed ART named "10th FA Bn") and a 3 "M7 Priest", that's exactly it! :D

:arrow: If it's really the case, then disband the units you should (already) have disbanded and try again. 8)

Like this, you'll have powerful ART with you and 4 main ATs (the two towed AT-guns units + the 2 TDs, the Hellcat), as well as the two mobile AA guns which can switch to AT-mod and help a (very) little. :wink:

Just as reminder, 'could help:
ColonelY wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:35 am 5 Sale: 8)

[...]Ahh, the player receives several new units to replace older ones that has to be disbanded, it's great! :D

So I've looked at them a little closer, if I may say so:

1. Two mobile "M15 CGMC" to replace our two "M2 90mm AA Gun"... :idea: What about directly giving these new units the names of the old units that they are about to replace?
Indeed, if they just replace them; and like this, it will help the player to realize/remember quickly, easily which units can safely be removed! Well, but only if it's correct historicaly, that is! :wink:
So, I assume that in this case, one of our new "M15 CGMC" could appear on our reserve unit list wearing the (old) name "Reg AA Co A&B" and the second one the (old) name "Reg AA Co B&C", couldn't it? 8)

2. Our "towed arty" is about to be replaced by nice "M7 Priest"... So, we exchange 3 "105mm Howitzer" for 3 "M7 Priest".
In terms of names:

Rgt (color) ¦ Old name...... ¦ Actual name... ¦ Suggested names :idea:
............. ¦ (105mm How.) ¦ (new M7 given) ¦ (directly from start... :wink: )
********************************************************************************************************
30th (no)..¦ "39th FA Bn"... ¦ "30th Reg Arty" ¦ Perfect, so the same ("30th Reg Arty")
7th (Blue) ¦ "10th FA Bn"... ¦ None............ ¦ "7th Reg Arty"
15th (Red)¦ . "9th FA Bn"... ¦ None............ ¦ "15th Reg Arty"

3. And finally our tank "M3A3 Lee" is to be replaced by a new "M4A2 Sherman" tank unit, but we keep our tank "M5A1" Stuart unit! :D
Ok. So far, so good! [...]

At the time of the briefing of 5 Sale, we have been invited to, quote, "(Write this down!)", because there was indeed several operations to fulfill... :wink:

:arrow: So, in short: NO MORE 90mm AA gun, NO MORE 105mm Howitzer and disband as well the tank M3A3 Lee!

Then, try again this scenario... 8)
Last edited by ColonelY on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

terminator wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:48 am Casablanca

I suggest moving the golden flag over the village(Tit Mellil). No supply and there is no one who defends this golden flag in the desert: [...]
It would be better, indeed. :D
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

I've got just now another idea: :D

About "8 AnzB", we can read in the briefing this:

"[...] The British 1 Division, 2 and 3 Brigades will simultaneously land with you at Anzio's left. They will attack north and hold your left flank throughout. Respect your left boundary line or risk being fired upon by 1 Division flank outposts. [...]"

:arrow: Well, I've already suggested adding few other flags with info about this famous boundary (to try making it crystalclear)... but I think, on top of that, one could even ADD ANOTHER EVENT, a Pop-up: :idea:

When? Maybe around turn 5, so once landings are finished and our forces begin/continue their advance north towards Cisterna...

Title? Maybe something like: "Roger, out!"

Text? Maybe something like: "Commander, good news! The British on our left flank have successfully landed and manage indeed to clear the forest from German soldiers. So no nasty surprises to be expected from the Germans on that side.|Forward, straight on to the town of Cisterna!"

As picture? The radioman of "2 Lica".

Like this, the player will be sure that there is no need to let some unit behind as "garrison", to protect the flank, to avoid being outsupplied or things like this... So, all forces towards the North! Right now, we KNOW that the British are tasked to protect our left flank, but we've just no idea at all whether they are successful or not... :wink:

'Sounds good? :D
Last edited by ColonelY on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

12 DraII

I would move the 'destroy all fleeing...' to sec obj.

Fun, quite easy scenario. It was all over for the Germans by turn 14/20.

For some reason I only got a draw even when there where no Germans left on the map (I checked with orbitalcommand). To my knowledge, no Germans exited. I'm not sure how to interpret the 38/30.

end.jpg
end.jpg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Erik2 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:39 am 12 DraII

I would move the 'destroy all fleeing...' to sec obj.

[...] For some reason I only got a draw even when there where no Germans left on the map (I checked with orbitalcommand). To my knowledge, no Germans exited. I'm not sure how to interpret the 38/30.
38/30 -> because right now the Germans can actually replenish their 3 Truck units, and (if I'm not mistaken :roll: ) the trigger now check "only" if "=30" at a given time (like end turn or so). :wink:

But I agree about making this actually a sec obj. :D
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Back to 14 VosS - some tactical suggestions: 8)

1. Mountains just North of St Dié: add 1 German light AA gun on some mountain, so that it's actually able to cover the 3 arty...

2. Wollsberg Pass: put 1 Bautruppe as "garrison" in there and 1 MG-foxhole just nearby, either 1 hex north of the Pass or 1 hex South-west from the Pass -> so that this one will be able to take shots directly after this Bautruppe unit has been discovered... like this, it may give the player the feeling that the Germans are actually building some defenses there...

3. Two hexes SW from the "French Armor Route" (on the road for the Pass), maybe put 1 German heavy or 1 Gebirg. on this mountain and 1 Nebelwerfer unit a little "behind" this unit (so at its SE)... both on mountain. There is a road nearby that the player will almost be forced to follow...

4. Strasbourg: replace the Bautruppe at the town itself by something stronger, like a heavy as garrison...

Then some thoughts on immersion: 8)

1. Why not convert some of these Germans units into SS? :idea:
We've encountered some of them in the previous scenario, which was already on theses Vosges Mountains, and this map is really big, with a lot of various units so...

2. 'Could add some German/SS commanders here and there... :wink:
Last edited by ColonelY on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Erik, ColonelY,
I understand all -- thanks!

Navman, re:anzio beachhead
Not to overdo this, but (as ColonelY mentioned) you should have two TDs, two towed antitank, plus two weak GM15 that can do antitank fires. Also, the Airborne/SSF units have 3-inch guns that can be used direct fire antitank weapons. Also, for arty you should have 3 priests, 1 SP 155 (M12), and a Chemical Mortar Battalion and combined divisional cannon companies that can provide indirect fire. Also, the Airborne/SSF units have 3-inch guns that can be used as artillery.

I think tactics come in to play here -- don't run units way out front unless they are recon (they tip enemy off to your main force intentions), try to keep units contiguous (at least RCTs), concentrate artillery fire on the most immediate threat, try to rest units and rotate (except for units that are heavily dug in), use terrain to your advantage, don't leave gaps for the enemy to hit your flanks, use air recon to determine enemy disposition and assess intent, use air to keep powerful units suppressed after artillery does its job on the preceding turn. All these are very important, especially the last few, when going over to defense.

I will send you a link with a playthrough. It's challenging but definitely doable using the forces available -- there are many effective combinations to whip the counterattackers but they are all based on fundamentals.

thanks for playing and commenting - your perspective is very important!

conboy
Last edited by conboy on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

15 Kays: 8)

A much smaller map again, which offers a nice change after the last one (through the Vosges until Strasbourg) and the next one (the Colmar Pocket)… An excellent and well-balanced little scenario. :D

I’ve found a little issue with the sec obj and then there is few little details.

So, let’s begin, shall we?
Issue with sec obj: It was achieved “too soon”, therefore I’ve taken a look in the triggers…

We’ve 3 bunkers around Kaysersberg, let’s call them A (for the one in the NE of Kays.), B (for the one in the West) and C (for the one in the SE).

Right now: the trigger targets the bunkers A and B, whereas the player is told (via our famous “Red Arrows” while playing) to destroy the bunkers A and C… :wink:

So, I was a little confused when A and B have been destroyed and C reduced to a 7-strenght bunker to actually see this obj achieved… :shock: because, yeah, C wasn’t down yet! :?

:idea: Easy solution: maybe target actually the 3 bunkers in the trigger and check if the “Red Arrows” for the player follow this change…
“Guemar” -> “Guémar” (scen descr AND on map as well AND in event text)
“Chatenois” -> “Châtenois” (event text)

Brief.:
1. “Gueymar” -> “Guémar”
2. “S-2 --” -> maybe “S-2:” (as for the n° 1 and on overall everythere else; same thing for S-3 and S-4!)
3. Right now, the last part of the briefing is empty… so either add something sweet and immersive or simply remove this completely :wink:

Obj.: “Take Kaysersberg <9” -> maybe written as usual on this campaign, i.e. “Take Kaysersberg <Turn 9

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”