Panzer Corps 10th Anniversary (11-07-2021) improvement ideas

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Japoivvb
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Panzer Corps 10th Anniversary (11-07-2021) improvement ideas

Post by Japoivvb »

If I am not wrong on 11th July 2011 PC was released, in exactly one year it will be 10 years from that date. I know developer team is involved in PC2, I know there are many mods and support material for PC1 to play/replay a whole life... but maybe to celebrate that date Slitherine/Matrix could develop some improvements(not able in modding) on PC1 based on a community wish list order by voting system, even released in a small purchasable new DLC, maybe Panzer Corps Platinum.

I created a trello board to manage these wishes and vote with a first sample(trait to destroy bridges), it is public but you need an invitation to edit/vote, so feel free to reply this mail with your address or PM and I will invite you if you want to participate or write here the improvement and I will forward it to trello board.
https://trello.com/b/jmXLMGjC/pc-20

I hope software developer team can listen us if there are many and good improvements making an effort upgrading source code of PC1. I think if SSI had had the current social media tools they had continued improving PG/AG instead follow line PG2/PG3...

In order to know "How much would you be willing to pay for a "dream patch" of PzC1?"
Quick survey:
https://eSurv.org?u=DreamPatchSurvey

Results page:
https://esurv.org/results-overview.php? ... 784&mode=4
Last edited by Japoivvb on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Panzer Corps 10th Anniversary (11-07-2021)

Post by PeteMitchell »

One wish would be to have the Dice Chess option in MP... would make a huge difference...

I hope Rudankort will read this and can find the time for it...

I would keep it simple and collect the ideas here on the forum (IMHO)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
glaude1955
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by glaude1955 »

Carrier able to accept several planes or at least the possibility of refueling on adjacent hexagons.
Japoivvb
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Japoivvb »

proposals added, dice chess MP and carrier split in two

trello board is a good way to see quick and clear all proposal and their status without reading several pages on forum, unfortunately for voting them you must have an account
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Cool, thanks! I reached out to Rudankort directly as well just in case he hasn't seen this forum thread
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 am One wish would be to have the Dice Chess option in MP... would make a huge difference...

100% agree. I would also like some of the bugs worked out of mp, not sure why it has so many bugs
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm
PeteMitchell wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 am One wish would be to have the Dice Chess option in MP... would make a huge difference...

100% agree. I would also like some of the bugs worked out of mp, not sure why it has so many bugs
One bug was the thing with the next day if I recall correctly?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm
goose_2 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm

One bug was the thing with the next day if I recall correctly?
giving me an extra turn...the blue circle of death...games that switch on me...just buggy, that never got fixed or addressed
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Japoivvb
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Japoivvb »

Sorry I am not experienced in MP game with PC only with PG(PBEM), what is the point exactly? to list it in trello board

I added some other improvements that they are already developed for PC2(e.g. overrun)
I set too labels for each card to know where it would affect(e.g. trait, game engine....)

The status of change would be
- with 10 votes, the card must be detailed what it means
- with 25 votes or more, is moved to Nice-To-have column
- with 50 votes or more, is moved to Must-Have column
glaude1955

Post by glaude1955 »

PeteMitchell wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:39 pm Cool, thanks! I reached out to Rudankort directly as well just in case he hasn't seen this forum thread
hello, how did M. Rudankort react to our requests?
Does he think he can follow through?

Best regards
Yves
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Sorry, I don't know. I haven't heard back yet.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Here is my wishlist for my "dream version" of PzC1. :) Some of these might be easier to fix than others, but I think these would improve several things, especially multiplayer games.

1.) Receiving heroes and awards (medals) in single scenario and multiplayer games should be possible or made optional before starting a stand alone scenario or multiplayer game (as currently these are only given in campaign games). I understand that multiplayer games (especially in a tournament) could be made unbalanced by a randomly given strong hero to one of the players but it could be made optional for those who are willing to accept this possibility. If possible, at least awards/medals should be given to successful units in single scenario and multiplayer games as they are purely cosmetic and does not affect the game balance in any way.

2.) Choosing "limited dice roll" and "chess/no dice roll" should be made possible before issuing multiplayer games through the server. So that players who do not like the random dice roll can play otherwise.

3.) Various problems with the server multiplayer games should be fixed:
- in some cases it is not possible to play a multiplayer game with "See opponent's moves = ON" after a few turns as the game swicthes back to "See opponent's moves = OFF" on its own after a few (seemingly) random number of turns (it may only happen in larger maps with lots of units)
- scenario scripts with a turn counter erroneously running twice in a turn instead of once as long as "See opponent's moves" is ON
- long multiplayer games cannot be continued via the server after the replay log file reaches 10 Mb (this should be confirmed though as it happened in the past, but not sure if it is still like that today)

4.) The "camo" trait currently does not seem to work with "submarine" class units, when it should work with them as it does work with other unit classes.

5.) "Camo" trait works with units that have it all the time (except for submarines, see above), even if they are being transported by a generic transport that does not have the camo trait. With other words, units with camo trait should lose this trait when being transported by a land, sea, train or air transport that does not have camo trait. Not sure if it can be made like that, though.

6.) If possible, fuel usage of generic transports should be monitored independent from the fuel level of the unit being transported. Currently generic transports does not use fuel, even if a max fuel amount is given to them. Especially air transports should not have unlimited fuel, but have their own fuel usage, same as with other normal air units and ideally with the same fatal consequence if running out of fuel. Again, not sure if it is possible to do it like that, but it would be a nice thing. Especially in multiplayer games it would be harder for players to capture empty enemy cities in the hinterland by using paratroopers if their air transports would have limited fuel like other normal air units.

7.) Adjacent naval units can block enemy ports and cities from making unit upgrades, but they cannot block them from buying new units. With other words, if I place one of my naval units next to an enemy port or city hex the opposing side will be unable to upgrade his units in that city or port but will still be able to purchase new ground units there. The opposing side should not be able purchase new units there as in this case it should count as a naval blockade (same as it happens if a ground unit stands on the adjacent hex to an enemy city or port). Not sure what causes this inconsistent mechanic and if there is any reasoning behind that or if it is just an unwanted game bug that could be fixed.

8.) Air units should be able to move through each other (or ideally it should be made optional). Currently it is possible to completely surround enemy air units with my own ones making them immobile until they run out of fuel. In reality aircraft can move in three dimensions so they should be able fly above or under the enemy air units to escape in a situation like this. It is especially a big problem in bad weather when the opponent is unable to rescue his trapped air unit(s) by destroying at least one of my encircling air units. Also in bad weather air units tend to bump into each other when moving in the fog of war - they just block each other's movements but are unable to fight which does not make a lot of sense.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

+1 to all of McGuba's points! :)
Japoivvb
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Japoivvb »

@McGuba, all your points have been added to board, thanks for explaining them as well, you can find the details in description field of each card
e.g.
https://ibb.co/HntV6Jf

@PeteMitchell, I registered your votes on these cards, but It will be easier track them if you create an Trello account, go to board and click in "vote" option
e.g.
https://ibb.co/KyKyBTQ

I defined proper labels, they can identified with color line above card title
https://ibb.co/GnvHw3X
Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Yrfin »

PeteMitchell wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 am I hope Rudankort will read this and can find the time for it...
ROFL
When im died - I must be a killed.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

:)
guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by guille1434 »

Hello guys... This thread is a wonderful idea, and in fact I was thinking since some time ago about proposing such an initiative here in the forum, but I was a bit lazy about writing down the ton of ideas I have to make improvements to PzCops 1, in order to turn it into a PzCorps Classic, PzCorps Forever, PzCorps Platinum, etc... you got the idea, I suppose. After reading this thread, I will put my notes and ideas into some order and write them down to share them with everybody here.

But there is also another aspect of this idea... Remember that what is for most of us a very enjoyable hobby/passtime (that is playing and/or modding PzCorps), for Alex and the other members of the dev team this is no more, no less, a means to earn their keeping (that would be, of course, a work). So, very important questions would also be:

- How much are we willing to pay for a "dream patch" for PzCorps?
- And importantly also, how many of us will be willing to take the wallet out of the pocket and give our hard earned money to get our dream became a reality?

I, for example would happily pay u$s 50.- for such a patch (for comparison a new copy of PzC2 is worth $40.-) Hey, I would gladly pay $100.- for a patch that includes all or nearly all of what I have in mind, because this would mean that PzCorps "Ultimate" would be the only game I would play since that patch is released till I leave this world.

So, why not make some kind of poll telling the dev team members how many of us and how much will be willing to pay for their work?

May be, If they do the math, and conclude that the reward is worth the effort, we all will get what we are asking for here...

What do you pals think about this?

Thanks and greetings to all!

PS: Here in Argentina, the 20th July is the "Friendship Day", so my salute to all forum members, that in some way, I consider them to be friends! :-)
Japoivvb
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Japoivvb »

Good points Guille (regards to Argentine from friend Spain) for this reason in my first topic I wrote
even released in a small purchasable new DLC
because these improvements mean effort and effort means time/money, I am developer too(not videogames) and I could not imagine my client requesting me changes by free.

You exposed key questions
- And importantly also, how many of us will be willing to take the wallet out of the pocket and give our hard earned money to get our dream became a reality?
we could do a poll about them but I guess is Slitherine/Matrix/Flashback who must propose they way to to convert this idea in something real, and this would answer them too your questions. I mean, something like
- DLC(as is) mode, I estimated your wishlist and new DLC could be released by X price, are you interested?
- Crowdfunding mode(as indiegogo https://www.indiegogo.com/explore/video ... t=trending), I estimated your wishlist and If we reach X money in X time they can be done
- Subscription mode(as patreon https://graphtreon.com/top-patreon-creators/games), I estimated your wishlist and if we have X patrons with X money we could deliver X improvements by month/year
- ... etc

The PG/PC community is a real strength of this game, I had paid/crowdfunded/subscripted to SSI since 1994 :)
Ursulet
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Ursulet »

guille1434 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:27 am Hello guys... This thread is a wonderful idea, and in fact I was thinking since some time ago about proposing such an initiative here in the forum, but I was a bit lazy about writing down the ton of ideas I have to make improvements to PzCops 1, in order to turn it into a PzCorps Classic, PzCorps Forever, PzCorps Platinum, etc... you got the idea, I suppose. After reading this thread, I will put my notes and ideas into some order and write them down to share them with everybody here.

But there is also another aspect of this idea... Remember that what is for most of us a very enjoyable hobby/passtime (that is playing and/or modding PzCorps), for Alex and the other members of the dev team this is no more, no less, a means to earn their keeping (that would be, of course, a work). So, very important questions would also be:

I, for example would happily pay u$s 50.- for such a patch (for comparison a new copy of PzC2 is worth $40.-) Hey, I would gladly pay $100.- for a patch that includes all or nearly all of what I have in mind, because this would mean that PzCorps "Ultimate" would be the only game I would play since that patch is released till I leave this world.

So, why not make some kind of poll telling the dev team members how many of us and how much will be willing to pay for their work?

May be, If they do the math, and conclude that the reward is worth the effort, we all will get what we are asking for here...

What do you pals think about this?

Thanks and greetings to all!

PS: Here in Argentina, the 20th July is the "Friendship Day", so my salute to all forum members, that in some way, I consider them to be friends! :-)
We salute u my friend
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Does anyone have any idea/high level estimate how many hours of work would be required and what they would cost?

If not, how could we find out?

Return to “Panzer Corps”