Order of Battle: Red Storm has been announced

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Order of Battle: Red Storm has been announced

Post by bebro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Well, subs haven't been touched, as they play not much of a role in new DLC. Do you have a specific change in mind? Thing is I kinda agree, but we need to see how any change would affect existing content (like KM).

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:58 pm

In my opinion, subs should either hit hard or miss the target altogehter. Strength nibbling should not be part of the equation.
Maybe they should be able to launch 2 torpedo spreads before reloading.
They should be very vulnerable if attacked by depth charges, but harder to spot (even with sonar) when submerged.
If this changes existing content like the KM campaign, so be it. Change the scenarios :wink:

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:01 pm

As we discussed someplace else, spotting surfaced subs from the air (only certain planes with a certain trait, I think you or Shards said) would be good, balanced by a bit more offensive punch which I would imagine would be just a tweak in units.csv. Not enough impact to damage any DLC or custom content, I don't think.

Heh, Erik beat me to that punch. :wink:
- Bru

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:18 pm

It is odd how some of us care so much for subs, or Zündapps...

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:27 am

bebro wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:57 pm
Well, subs haven't been touched, as they play not much of a role in new DLC. Do you have a specific change in mind? Thing is I kinda agree, but we need to see how any change would affect existing content (like KM).
In general I think subs just need to have an entire patch devoted to them. I think all other aspects if Naval Combat is fine in OOB, but subs are really a nuisance rather than a very real threat in most scenarios. They just do not do enough damage to even very lightly (or not even armored units) in most aspects. While they should not be able to sink capital ships in one go, they should at least be able to to be used more like they were used in real life, to harass and potentially sink already damaged or vulnerable targets. Torpedoes are woefully under powered, when they should be as effective (and personally I think better than) torpedo bombers. I think all this was discussed in another post, but I am hopeful to see some love for subs anytime in the near future. Although I do understand how a rework would affect current scenarios, especially in KM's case (never did beat that campaign, I find it to be the hardest one OOB has to offer.)

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:43 am

Looking through unit stats - what if we actually adjust ship's torpedo defense stats instead of fiddling around with various torpedo attack settings. This could achieve what we want, and should allow to differ nicely.

BBs would still be difficult to sink (gotta pump lotsa torpedoes into a Yamato class etc.) but say transports, supply ships could be made easier targets, with DD, CA, CV somewhat in between depending on type.

This would also effect DDs or aircraft, but after all torpedoes from planes or DDs would be effective vs. those TPs etc. too, and less vs. highly protected warships.

I gotta test it obvsly. But overall I still rather leave it for next beta or post RS patch, as there is plenty of stuff to do for Red Storm still.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Sounds like a plan. Please don't forget to consider aircraft spotting surfaced submarines from say, 0 to +1 hex distance. I know that I sound like a broken record but you should see the gyration that I just went through to "even the playing field" in an historical situation where a sub was present against a cruiser and a sloop (i.e., gunboat). Absolutely defenceless, as even air patrol could not spot the sub when surfaced. Had to depend on the AI to surface right next to one of the ships, or blindly stumbling upon it, which is absurd. My workaround did the trick but it involved referencing what actually happened in a popup message (IRL, the cruiser's seaplane did get lucky and disabled the sub), followed by a perpetual "Reveal Unit" so that the sub could no longer hide. Heh, I would say this gambit has very limited applicability! :)
- Bru

SirAllan
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by SirAllan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 am

I used to be a beta tester - but cant see how to apply this time - where do I find it?

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:15 am

SirAllan wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 am
I used to be a beta tester - but cant see how to apply this time - where do I find it?
First post of this thread, right under the lowest pic.... click on the "here"... :)

SirAllan

Post by SirAllan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:31 am

Thx Gabe as usual you have very sharp eyes :wink:
I totally missed that :oops:

SirAllan

Post by SirAllan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Damn, I somehow didnt qualify to be a betatester this time, cause I havnt got any e-mail yet :cry:

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:56 pm

Could be there's another wave later (I don't handle thsi).

Return to “Order of Battle Series”