Unit lore related tweaks and changes

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Tassadar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Unit lore related tweaks and changes

Post by Tassadar » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:59 pm

A discussion about awards and captured equipment lead me to think a bit about stats and names on some units not in terms of pure game balance changes (especially for multiplayer), but increased historical accuracy. These are, and should be, just minor modifications that would be nice to see and perhaps some of them could one day make it to the main game. Contrary to "Ideas and suggestions" threads for the game and its DLC, it's aimed at things that are quick and can be changed in the equipment file, but would be nice to see as a part of a path, or at least discuss their viability.

Of course it is quite easy to edit the equipment file and do so, but rather than to edit it individually, perhaps there is an option to do some of these tweaks "officially" if it makes sense.

For starters, here are a few examples:

PZL.37 Łoś - It is strangely under-powered in the game compared to the actual ones - it should be closer to the He 111 H-2 with similar soft attack but smaller hard attack (large bomb load for quite a small machine, but due to bomb bay design it had limitations in the weight of single bombs it could carry), but the strangest thing is very low air defense while the aircraft was fast and so maneuverable, that it was even considered a conversion into heavy interceptor variant. Would be quite interesting to use that captured stock, but with these stats there's little point.

Both PZL.37 Łoś and PZL.23 Karaś - They are named as PZL P.37B Los and PZL P.23B Karas, however the "P.number" system was generally reserved for fighter planes with the "gull wing" design by Zygmunt Puławski, such as the P.11c that we encounter in-game. Nothing huge and not really an error, but could be changed potentially.

Sd.Kfz. - shouldn't all of these use the "Sd.Kfz." (with full stops) rather than current "SdKfz" naming? I know it's a bit nitpicking. :)

Heinkel He 70 - does not have any passive air attack, yet was armed with a defensive machine gun. At least [1] would be feasible.

SM.79 - similar issue to PZL.37 Łoś, its air defense is really low. The game does recognize it as a tactical bomber, so there's the question of balance, but it seems a bit strange to me.

nexusno2000
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Unit lore related tweaks and changes

Post by nexusno2000 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Various unit-related suggestions have been made since the first beta I joined.

I can't remember (could be mistaken) any unit having changed as a result.

There is also MP to consider. So even if a unit makes little sense historically, maybe it was stated that way for MP.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

nexusno2000

Post by nexusno2000 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:29 pm

Tassadar wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:59 pm
Sd.Kfz. - shouldn't all of these use the "Sd.Kfz." (with full stops) rather than current "SdKfz" naming? I know it's a bit nitpicking. :)
Nitpicking is the best kind of picking.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

Tassadar

Post by Tassadar » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:51 pm

nexusno2000 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:27 pm
Various unit-related suggestions have been made since the first beta I joined.

I can't remember (could be mistaken) any unit having changed as a result.

There is also MP to consider. So even if a unit makes little sense historically, maybe it was stated that way for MP.
That's why I'm mostly looking at nations such as Poland, Italy, Romania, etc. where MP balance is not really a factor. I'm not a MP type of guy, so I might have missed something, but I don't think these are playable in MP for the most part. There's Italians in Tobruk, but that's about it?

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”