Banzai - campaign beta test

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Mascarenhas
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Banzai - campaign beta test

Post by Mascarenhas » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am

Did you complte bthe task of exiting land units at the marked hex? I Captured the exit hex, but my units remained there, never exited.

ColonelY
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by ColonelY » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:34 pm

05Nomonhan2: 8)

Another very good scenario :D , but with a little bit of additional work required. :|

So, let's go to work, shall we ?

-> :!: I've seen no enemy air at all, and, in the end, I've received another ace... :? it was a real surprise! :o
I've taken a look in the Editor; the sec obj "Do not lose any air unit" has never been enabled during my playthrough... but as the triggers "Air lost" and "Air survive" are active from start, and as I've lost no plane, then I've received this ace.
(0. These triggers don't need to be active from start, they could be activated once this sec obj becomes visible for us... but it's fine like this too, in this case, I guess. :wink: )
1. A "Set Objective State" (as completed) must be added as effect in the "Air survive" trigger...
2. Under "Jap" -> "air visible"... it should work, but first under "Enable Objective", select as sec obj "Do not lose any air unit" instead of "Do not lose any tanks" :wink: , and then...
3. Where are the Soviet planes on this battlefield? Okay, I've seen them (2 I-16 near their airstrip)... but they should NOT have the AI Team 1 now (the one of the land "2/6 Company"). In the AI Setup, there is NO AI set right now for Soviet planes... something to modify! 8)

-> :!: The sec obj about destroying at least 5 enemy armored units (tanks or recon) stayed as "open" despite (at least, perhaps) 13 enemy units destroyed! :shock:
Again, by the Editor:
1. Check Unit Count -> ">0" should be replaced by ">4" :wink: (otherwise the counter looks strange :? , like "0/1" for at least 5...)
2. :idea: I think the condition Check Obective State (on the pri obj) should simply be removed, as you validate only the pri obj at scenario end and at that time there is no longer "Combat Event" (as trigger event) and then it can't be achieved... Anyway, it can be checked in the middle of the scenario without any problem, can't it? It should fix it, or at least I do hope so. :D

-> The two art "152mm m1909 30" haven't taken a single shot as they've stayed on their trucks... I haven't understood all in this case (Reinf. T3 & T4; it seems perfect within the Editor), but that's how it was for me... Anyway, one can live with that, I guess. :?

-> :idea: What about adding some Soviet AA-unit near their airstrip? (Especially because we don't have the right to lose any single air unit in this scenario... :lol: :twisted: )

-> And finally a very little detail: Part 1 of the briefing: "Honorable Chuusa, Due to the ferocity of our offensive, the [...]" -> no need for a capital letter in the case of "Due", I think... :wink:

Et voilà ! :D

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:47 pm

:idea: Ah, and I would prefer seeing an additional (short) event within this scenario: once (first) enemy air unit has become visible, once the sec obj related to planes becomes enabled, then an event would be welcome (informing about new obj/order)... A nice picture is always a cool little something, isn't it? :wink:

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:06 pm

ColonelY wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:34 pm
05Nomonhan2: 8)
[...]
-> The two art "152mm m1909 30" haven't taken a single shot as they've stayed on their trucks... I haven't understood all in this case (Reinf. T3 & T4; it seems perfect within the Editor), but that's how it was for me... Anyway, one can live with that, I guess. :?
[...]
By looking Inside the units.csv file, it does seem that this artillery unit should use Komintern Tractors instead of Soviet Trucks as transport mean, and this may be the reason why I've seen that effect! :wink:

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 am

06Shansi: 8)

Great little scenario, for once on a defensive stance. :D

Basically, I see here only two elements:

1. :idea: I suggest increasing the XP of the Chinese units!
First, because it's now really easy (no MG-foxhole has suffered any casualty & the last of the enemy units has been whiped out during the 10th turn, despite several of them retreating far away and after ferocious pursuit :twisted: ), perhaps a little too much.
Then, because several of the player's units may already be at full XP... so facing enemy units with a single star of XP makes it easier anyway...

2. :!: Add the promised spec pt for holding the secondary location! :wink:
(Now, the +2 spec pts for killing all enemy units works as expected, but now the +1 spec pt for holding this sec location isn't given... So, adding Under trigger "Loc", as effect, a... well, you've got it!)

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:38 pm

07Guam: 8)

Another very interesting scenario, in my opinion! :D

So, let's debrief, shall we?

-> About pri obj "Exit at least 13 units":
1. Indeed, land exit hex not working... :|
Mascarenhas wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am
Did you complte bthe task of exiting land units at the marked hex? I Captured the exit hex, but my units remained there, never exited.
Yes, same thing here! But it's "normal", I guess, according to the color: in this campaign, it's red for Japanese (see the color of the symbol at the air exit hex :wink: ) whereas it's blue for the US and their Allies... and here it's blue! :roll: ( :wink: ) A little something to fix, Erik, please.
2. :idea: Maybe add a counter? (Of land units already exited, I mean.)
3. So, "draw" as well in my playthrough because this obj stayed on "open" (whereas all the rest was considered as achieved - we'll come back to it soon :wink: )... it should instead be considered as "failed" at scenario end if not completed, shouldn't it? :wink:

-> :o 'Should allow sec obj to be - if needed - considered as failed... this concerns Jap 2 obj, MG nests and air, if I'm not mistaken!
By the way, this can be quickly achieved using as condition the "Check Objective State" at scen end (is it still "open"?) and then as effect by a "Set O. S." (as "failed" then)... :wink:

-> About the sec obj "Eliminate all MG nests":
1. :idea: A counter there as well would be welcome...
2. :shock: After the very first attack (and not even against a MG nest) this obj is directly set as achieved/completed! :evil: ( :wink: )
Again, it's "normal" because now this "event" is triggered as "combat event" and the amount is set as "=0"... so, yeah, first combat event, still no MG destroyed (=0), so all conditions met and that's it! :?
:arrow: So, I think that adding as "Link to objective" the "Eliminate all MG nests" (to make a counter appear) and putting ">8" instead of "=0" (I've counted 9 minefields on this battlefield, if I haven't forgotten any) shall solve these two points directly. 8)

-> The event related to the sub... Really cool, I like this kind of content... :D BUT it's written "has just arrived" whereas it's deployable and in the unit list from the beginning of the scenario!? :shock:
There, I suggest simply spawning this unit instead of deploying it (and of course removing the sub of the list of units). Or perhaps keeping it in our unit list but making it undeployable... :wink:

-> :idea: An US AA unit to cover their airstrip?

-> :idea: Some nice and immersive names for the two "silver flags" and the three "golden star flags" which haven't yet any name?

-> Finally, some very little detail(s) about the scenario description:
1. Too many empty lines/space at the very beginning...
2. Add perhaps 1 empty line before the very last paragraph.

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:59 pm

Well, Colonel, I'm not expert in programming this thing, but entirely agree with your remarks. Anyway, transforming what historically was about just a promenade for the invasion force is fun and the scenario very playable.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 pm

:D Oh yes, I also find this scenario very enjoyable, as well as this entire campaign so far... and I am convinced that the next steps should not disappoint us either.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:41 am

08Siam: 8)

Anoter short but really nice scenario! :D

I think this scenario may become a little tricky to fully succeed, timewise I mean, depending on which units the player do select (motorized or not, etc.)... but that's up to him (or her), so that's perfectly fine as it is.

So, not any really big issue seen within this scenario, but several points here and there... Let's get started, shall we?

-> No "failed" possibility now for sec obj "all enemy units killed"... :wink:

-> The MG-fox have no defined AI right now :| , so that even if they return fire when attacked (except by snipers of course :wink: ) but don't take any shot of opportunity when they could... :(

-> About the "Exit 5 (core) units": right now, it may not be considered as completed if the last units are moved at the exit hexes during the very last turn of the player! :!:
To trigger event, it's now on "Move Event"... :o Perhaps it would be better :idea: at "Turn Start" or even at "Any Event".
Why? Well, let's imagine this situation:
Last units moved at/over these exit hexes (let's say at least enough of these core units)... they are exited when the turn pass to the next one... so, if it was the very last turn of the scenario, then enough units have been exited, that's fine, but then there is no more "move event" (and in case it may somehow have counted, all enemy units shouldn't move either as they should at that time already have met their ancestors :lol: :wink: )... in consequence, no more "move event", it means nothing to trigger the completion of this pri obj as it is now (in this case, of course).

-> First event reinf. (t2): "You may depåloy more units." :o Well, well, it's obvious... :wink:

-> :idea: A third air deploy hex for the recon plane (from "War Economy" spec) that any player shoud have at this point?

-> :idea: Some cool and immersive name for the two "gloden star flags" (pri obj)?

-> Scen descr: The note you've written there must definitely appear in this case, so that's excellent. But only this as description, it's too "light", isn't it? I think you should definitely add some cool and immersive description here (and keep at the end of it the actual note, of course).

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:29 am

09Malaya1: 8)

Another awesome scenario, which can be a little difficult timewise, but that's just perfect like this! And nice random spawning (played two times, see the change directly - from the right, they'll all move in sooner or, rather, quicker :wink: ). :D

Time for another feedback, isn't it?

-> First a very little detail in the scen descr: "Colonel Saeki (you) is leading a small attack force in a ightning raid against the emplaced British 25 pounders [...]" -> is it, perhaps, "lightning"? :wink:

-> :idea: Maybe add an event, a pop-up, on the third turn to inform the player that it's the last reinforcement wave available for this operation?

So far so good, then I've taken a look at the triggers...

-> The 2 sec obj can't be considered as "failed" right now (well, for the tanks it's really unlikely to happen :roll: , but still)... so, just in case... :wink:

-> About the pri obj, in the section "Art survive"...
Our obj is to destroy ALL enemy artillery units, i.e. the two of them. So, destroying none of them OR even one of them means that this obj is failed. Therefore, as condition, instead of "destroyed =0", I suggest selecting "<2" (i.e. either 0 or 1). The case "only one of the two art destroyed" isn't to be forgotten! :wink:

What's why I like this combination: at scenario end, if this objective is still open, then it's failed!
(Using both "Check Turn" & "Scen Turn limit" checked, as well as Check Obj State & Set Obj State, of course.)
This combination can't of course be used always but very often, and it's often easier as well because there is then no need to thing about more precise conditions, like numbers or so...

robertahyuk

Post by robertahyuk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:33 am

After going through the campaign a second time, all I really found wrong was:
Guam: Cannot exit units through the blue exit point. Should be Red and doesn't work.

Wake: Triggers not working to win the game. Completed all objectives but still get a draw. That needs to be fixed also.
Good campaign and enjoyable.
Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.11 - 05.00.06.75.png
Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.11 - 05.00.06.75.png (952.95 KiB) Viewed 443 times

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:52 pm

:| I'll go a little faster than usual for the two next scenarios (which are already really great, by the way :D ):

10Malaya2: 8)

-> Sec obj "Destroy at least 2 enemy tanks": There is a real MIX now between enemy tanks and our auxiliary recon snipers! :shock:
It starts as completed from start with "0/2" (tanks destroyed) but with Red arrows pointing at our aux recon units... :?
I've looked into the triggers and there you really wish to talk about tanks... then I have to strongly advise/suggest:
1. Remove these red arrows pointing at our recon snipers...
2. Uncheck the option about considering this obj as completed from start of the scenario...
That shall do it! :D

:idea: Then, of course it would be possible to add another sec obj about "Don't lose any auxiliary recon unit" or, rather, "At least one of your auxiliary recon unit should survive" (as it may be a little tough here to save both of them), this time with these red arrows and with this obj checked from start and as long as one (or two - your choice! :wink: ) of them do indeed survive!

-> There is no possibility to consider any of the sec obj as "failed" (now it's only either "open" or "completed")... a little something to complete... :wink:

-> In the triggers, "Jap exit" and "Jap exit fails"... the "Core Units" isn't checked... :? Does it mean that aux units may count as well? :?: If yes, then it's a little something to change (the 2 times), because you want that the player "Exit at least 9 core land units" (pri obj), but like this maybe the aux recon snipers would count as well... :wink:

-> Very first event (about reinf.), pop-up: no valid picture! :o Perhaps replace the "type97_37mm" (written now according to Editor) by the "type95hago", or something, the picture name in the folder of this scenario... :wink:

-> Then, event "Air Support!": Now "You may deploy 2 air units." & 12 ACPs unlocked... :? Cool, but 12 ACPs = 4 planes :arrow: Then, better writting "You may deploy 4 air units." :wink:

-> By turn 10 (out of 20), all enemy air units and land units (including airstrip) have been destroyed... except perhaps (I'm not 100% sure right now :roll: ) their recon vehicle, you know, the one with some special abilities... So, just in case, I've put a garrison in each and every enemy exit hex, moved in mass my own troops towards the South and their own exit area... and basically pass several turns doing nothing or almost... :idea: At some point, maybe add the possibility of an early (Major) Victory?

11Malaya3: 8)

-> Too many empty lines at the end of the first part of the briefing... :wink:

-> No valid picture for the first reinf (despite the name of an picture called "tanks" in the Editor)... :o

-> Again, no possibility now to have any of the sec obj really "failed" (instead of just "open")...

-> :idea: Perhaps increase a little the supply output with the new locations on the 3rd turn? (at least 12 instead of 10... as 12 = 4 "regular" inf and there is 4 deploy hexes)

-> :!: Now some auxiliary units aren't spawned as promised... :evil: ( :wink: ) As promised? :o Yeah, do you remember the "Important: The last part of the reinforcements may only be deployed after the AT guns have been taken care of."?
In the trigger "AT destroyed", the two Osaka and the Ha-Go can't be spawned because you haven't selected/targetted an hex for them... a little something to fix :wink:
And I think it's more or less all about these two nice scenarios. 8)
I'm about (or almost :lol: ) to test the last scenario, namely "12Wake". :D Feedback should come "relatively" soon. :wink:

Cheers up, Erik, keep up the good work! :D
Last edited by ColonelY on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 pm

:D "Banzai, 1939-41"... hum... 41?

:arrow: Erik, do you plan a sequel to this great campaign? :?:

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:00 pm

Indeed I do. Banzai 1942 will probably be split into 2 campaigns since there are altogether 27 scenarios for that year.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Fine! :D

Well, well, that looks promising and already titillates my interest... :wink:

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:20 pm

12Wake: 8)

Let's go for a last feedback on this version of the campaign, shall we?

-> Very little detail within scen descr: "[...] with which t o strike back. [...]" Well, "to", obviously. :wink:

-> If you plan a sequel to this great campaign, then you could :idea: add some reward(s) for both of these sec obj: 4 US air units down & all land units destroyed, as +spec pts or/and +some commander... this won't be lost as it will be useful for the next part of the Banzai campaign! :wink:

-> Right now, impossible to properly "fail" (with red cross, I mean) the sec objs about air, sub and land! :| Now only either completed or open...

-> What's the point of all these deploy hexes already out of the water, including on two of the pri objectives? :shock: Our recon units are even still on water right now... :? Please, remove all of them! :wink:

-> :idea: Add few deploy hexes on t5 (a little like the 3 we've on t3, and the 3 on t4)... indeed, perhaps still some LCPs are left unused, for quite a while, like this... :(

-> About pop-up "Sub spotted": 8)
1. Two little details within the text: "An enemy sub is spotted in the area.|Use your destroiyers to hunt it down and sink it!|Proetct your aircraft carriers at all costs.|Note new orders."
2. In the new orders, you mean (from the Editor) "Do not lose any carriers" & "Sink at least one enemy sub." :arrow: Okay, but then, the sec obj "Do not lose any carriers" should not been enabled and visible from start! :wink: (But it can still be left as completed/validated from start.)
-> Now, about this:
robertahyuk wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:33 am
[...] Wake: Triggers not working to win the game. Completed all objectives but still get a draw. That needs to be fixed also.
Good campaign and enjoyable. [...]
All objectives? :| According to the picture you've posted (14th turn out of 24), you had the 3 pri obj (golden star flags) under control but there was still 2 enemy land units left to destroy ('could have been some MG-foxholes :wink: )...

Right now, the pri obj can be considered as completed only if these sec obj have first been achieved: 4 US air down, sink at least 1 sub & all land units destroyed. As you haven't destroyed all land units, the pri obj can never be taken as achieved. That may be why! :wink:

This condition actually allow for an early Major Victory...

:arrow: Actually, Erik, I suggest to let this trigger as it is now (early Major Victory possible, that's super), but what about :idea: adding another trigger, a new one, simply to check at scenario end if these 3 pri obj are controlled by the player and then setting this as completed? :wink: Otherwise, it may stay on "open" forever if the player fails to complete any of these 3 sec obj. :cry:
-> A little too easy right now: (13th turn, no more enemy land unit at all (and no plane either for a while)... & Major Victory on the 17th turn (out of 24)...)
1. No defenses around Deveraux HQ? :? (most of the US intantry units surrounded, outsupplied & massacred near the beaches)
:idea: Put at least a (regular but entrenched) bunker there, and some US Seabees around it (as near the western pri obj)... And maybe some Willys Jeep unit (perhaps even patrolling)?
Maybe with an US commander in this bunker/HQ (like you did with Chiang Kai-Shek previously). :wink:
2. :idea: What about adding an US AT unit somewhere, as well as some artillery unit(s) and even an AA unit near the airfield?
3. Nice, these two US DDs spawning (randomly, as the subs - excellent!)... but too weak as well... maybe :idea: add a third DD and some cruiser as well (even out of these random triggers, as it shall be easier like this)...

-> Looking in the Editor: we don't receive the auxiliary (Jap) reinforcements you've planned because there is no hex targetted/selected for them... (all the "Spawn Unit" parts)... anyway, we don't need them, we don't need that much (except for the "variation", for having "something else happening as well" :D ). :arrow: So, here I suggest:
1. Perhaps let some of them really spawn (together with a nice and immersive event & of course not outsupplied),
2. "Clean" the others from these triggers,
3. Increase the amount of RPs directly received at scenario start (finishing upgrading our many units to '41 costs a lot).

And I think that's all there is to write right now about it!

Oh, and the "Export Core" option is now already valid. :D
:idea: About the sequel of this campaign:
1. It could be nice to :idea: keep all already unlocked specs and part of the XP of our units (perhaps 50% of the XP?)... But you've certainly already thought at this point.
2. To save some time, if I may, perhaps verify directly if all obj (especially sec obj) can be considered as "failed" as well, instead of just completed or still open. :wink:

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:35 pm

:oops: Well, well, I've just read/discovered this on the topic "CSI Sweep: US 3d Infantry Division":
bru888 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:26 am
Casablanca, beta version

[...]Here's another suggestion. Usually, we don't bother with fail triggers for secondary objectives. Like the "Clear SW Hex" objective, they either are completed or remain open; there is no need to fail these objectives like you do with primary objectives. [...]
So, if that's what is usually done, then I won't bother you any longer, Erik, about suggesting doing it, adding fail triggers for sec objs... :wink:

:arrow: If some of my feedback(s) doesn't make sense for one reason or another, don't hesitate to tell me so that I can improve. :D

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Colonel
Thanks for the very detailed feedback.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:49 pm

You're welcome. :D

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:39 am

This beta test is finished. Look for inclusion of the campaign in the Scenario Forum.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”