scenario editor help please for newbie

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

stenicplus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

scenario editor help please for newbie

Post by stenicplus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Hiya, I've read the scenario editor Guide and good with it all.

To test it I have a simple map with an AI controlled British AT gun in a town and on a VP with British flag. AT gun set to idle AI.

A German infantry unit is a couple of hexes away and human control. Objective is the VP Capture point, no secondaries. Game is set to 5 game turns. Trigger is set to check ownership of VP location and if German set objective to 'completed'.

Should be simple, in my head.. :)

When I run the game it shows the objective along with narrative so I know what I have to do.

German unit move to AT gun, attacks it in turn one, turn 2 it forces a retreat and take the VP location.

As the German unit now owns the hex and flag changes to German flag I'd expect the game stop with a win for the German.

But no, game carries on, irrespective of trying th trigger as a VP Capture Event or even a Turn Start event. I run each turn until turn 5 is completed and it tells me it's draw, despite the German unit owning the hex.

Any suggestions please as I must be missing something fundamental since in theory it should work for such a simple test?

conboy
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: scenario editor help please for newbie

Post by conboy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Try setting the objective for Check Turn, <5, not end of scenario.
That way, when the hex is taken, the game should end.
If you have it set for end of scenario, it has to go to the end of the turn limit.
Also, you have to go to the Mission Tab and set the objectives for both sides. In this case, you'd need to add an objective to the German side to seize the town, with a corresponding trigger set to <5 turns. That way you should get a victory, if you set for Capture VP and <5 turns.

Also, read the Victory Conditions part in the manual that talks about Major Victory, Victory, Draw, Defeat, and Major Defeat.

These are the technical definitions of Defeat, Draw, and Victory:
● Major Defeat: NOT all primary objectives met + NOT all secondary objectives met + hostile alliance has achieved all primary objectives.
● Minor Defeat: NOT all primary objectives met + ALL secondary objectives met + hostile alliance has achieved all primary objectives.
● Draw: turn limit reached + no one has met ALL primary objectives.
● Minor Victory: ALL primary objectives met + NOT all secondary objectives met.
● Major Victory: ALL primary objectives met + ALL secondary objectives met.

conboy

ps - here is a link to a thread that you might find highly beneficial, wherein I ask a lot of basic questions and Bru88 answers them. also, he has examples in the thread that explain what you're asking. Check it out!

viewtopic.php?f=374&t=87989&p=749162#p749162

objectives, specifically:
viewtopic.php?f=374&t=87989&p=749162#p749103

It's all there, hombre.
Last edited by conboy on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stenicplus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by stenicplus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:06 pm

conboy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Try setting the objective for Check Turn, <5, not end of scenario.
That way, when the hex is taken, the game should end.
If you have it set for end of scenario, it has to go to the end of the turn limit.
Also, you have to go to the Mission Tab and set the objectives for both sides. In this case, you'd need to add an objective to the German side to seize the town, with a corresponding trigger set to <5 turns. That way you should get a victory.

Also, read the Victory Conditions part in the manual that talks about Major Victory, Victory, Draw, Defeat, and Major Defeat.

These are the technical definitions of Defeat, Draw, and Victory:
● Major Defeat: NOT all primary objectives met + NOT all secondary objectives met + hostile alliance has achieved all primary objectives.
● Minor Defeat: NOT all primary objectives met + ALL secondary objectives met + hostile alliance has achieved all primary objectives.
● Draw: turn limit reached + no one has met ALL primary objectives.
● Minor Victory: ALL primary objectives met + NOT all secondary objectives met.
● Major Victory: ALL primary objectives met + ALL secondary objectives met.

conboy
Ta conboy, that made no difference I'm afraid. I must be doing something basic wrong. I only have the 1 objective, no secondaries to keep it simple, after all, it is literally moving a unit onto hex to claim it and end the game.

conboy

Post by conboy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Plaease see the links I provided in my edited post.
Nothing ia easy in the editor at first.

comboy

stenicplus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by stenicplus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Hmm, so turns <5 thing did not work nor did setting a hold or fail objective for the British AI.

Appreciate the link to your feedback, once I can get a simple game going that thread will be help loads.

I need to go look at some examples of 1vsAI custom scenarios that are simple so I can work out where my issues is.

conboy

Post by conboy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:05 pm

I believe you should use the Trigger Event 'Capture VP Event' to cause an early ending when the location is captured.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:18 pm

There are a lot of things which can go wrong, if you want just attach your scn then we can have a look.

stenicplus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by stenicplus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:15 am

conboy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm
try this
it'll gitchee goin

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8pjsfi3n8qfhqx8/file
Awesome, ta conboy, i'll take a look

stenicplus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by stenicplus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:22 am

stenicplus wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:15 am
conboy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm
try this
it'll gitchee goin

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8pjsfi3n8qfhqx8/file
Awesome, ta conboy, i'll take a look

conboy

Ah. I see what you've done there. I suspect I've misread the guide, I'd though AI player did not need a contra objective, just the Human player needed a win or lose one.

Your example is great so I'll play with that and see how it all works out. Thank you :D

conboy

Post by conboy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Yes, every primary objective needs a reciprocal for the enemy.
Secondaries don't need one unless they are turn-count sensitive (so the players know they missed the objective.)
So it really complicates scenario set up.
BTW if you have lots of objectives, for this reason it's best to use the victory flag counter instead of listing each objective with 4 victory conditions.
I didn't figure this out until I was almost done with my campaign (soon to be released!). It's a little hard that way but you only have to do it once per scenario instead of however many objectives you have. A lot can (and does) go wrong that way.

good luck!

conboy

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”