Red Storm - Campaign Path

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Red Storm - Campaign Path

Post by bebro »

This is the campaign path for RS, it's mostly linear again, so not much in alternative scenarios, but you need to decide how to continue at two points:

1. Do you want to play or skip the (almost) Partisan-only scenario named "Hide and Seek"? Losing it does not stop the campaign, but you can unlock a few benefits for the later Operation Bagration. You get asked about this during the Liberation of Crimea.

2. Do you want to end the campaign after Berlin or go on to Manchuria vs. Japan? I guess most ppl will opt for Manchuria as it's simply one battle more, but some could find it anti-climactic after Berlin. This decision is made during the Battle of Berlin.

Also you need major victories to fight the last two battles, so no Berlin if you do not achieve all objectives at Seelow for example. If you opted for Manchuria at the end you still need a major win in Berlin to actually be able to play vs. Japan.

RedStorm_cam.jpg
RedStorm_cam.jpg (942.34 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Red Storm - Campaign Path

Post by StuccoFresco »

No different branches then? A bit underwhelming.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

Hide and seek and Manchuria are VERY interesting scns
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

kondi754 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 pm Hide and seek and Manchuria are VERY interesting scns
but not very difficult for bonus scns
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

terminator wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:58 pm
kondi754 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 pm Hide and seek and Manchuria are VERY interesting scns
but not very difficult for bonus scns
It's always depends on the difficulty level you are playing
Manchuria was not easy and very intersting scenario for me at hardest level, Japan army is relatively weak for our veteran units but Bebro has designed this mission in an interesting way using the difficult terrain conditions to the advantage of the Kwantung Army
Alexander1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Alexander1 »

bebro wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 pm no Berlin if you do not achieve all objectives at Seelow for example.

RedStorm_cam.jpg
Unfortunately, it is not clearly set in the scenario objectives that you need BOTH secondary objectives to enable Berlin. I opted to skip knocking out railroad gun, finished scenario and ... no Berlin... Please correct the description of goals.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Alexander1 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:28 pm ...that you need BOTH secondary objectives...
You need to complete ALL objectives for a "Major" victory as depicted in the campaign path image.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

sov3_09_Baltic44: the choice of Riga(Take or Besiege?) does not seem to have any impact on the campaign :(

sov3_09_Baltic44(9).jpg
sov3_09_Baltic44(9).jpg (357.87 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Alexander1 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:28 pm Unfortunately, it is not clearly set in the scenario objectives that you need BOTH secondary objectives to enable Berlin. I opted to skip knocking out railroad gun, finished scenario and ... no Berlin... Please correct the description of goals.
I can add a small note to the description, but "major" always refers to a complete victory with all goals achieved indeed.
uncajerf
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by uncajerf »

bebro wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 pm
Alexander1 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:28 pm Unfortunately, it is not clearly set in the scenario objectives that you need BOTH secondary objectives to enable Berlin. I opted to skip knocking out railroad gun, finished scenario and ... no Berlin... Please correct the description of goals.
I can add a small note to the description, but "major" always refers to a complete victory with all goals achieved indeed.
Hi!

I have to assume(!) that others have been able to achieve this, and I'm wondering how. All my aircraft get knocked out easily by AA/enemy jets, and I cannot deploy paratroops, plus the K5 repairs itself, so how does one destroy the gun in 5 turns?

JRR
uncajerf

"Artillery adds dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl." -Frederick the Great
prestidigitation
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by prestidigitation »

uncajerf wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:57 pm
bebro wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 pm
Hi!

I have to assume(!) that others have been able to achieve this, and I'm wondering how. All my aircraft get knocked out easily by AA/enemy jets, and I cannot deploy paratroops, plus the K5 repairs itself, so how does one destroy the gun in 5 turns?

JRR
I did it with ease on difficulty 4 using 2x Yak-9T fighter bombers, 2x IL-10 and 2x B-25C. I wrote about it in my AAR for the Seelowe Heights mission, albeit briefly because I knocked it out without issue. BTW as always I highly recommend bringing 37mm AA for clearing out enemy fighters as it will utterly tear them up. Use a fighter or recon to bait the jet over the AA when you want to kill it and it’ll be no sweat.

viewtopic.php?f=373&t=101585&sid=f9eb80 ... dfa3b6cbeb
Protonic2020
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Protonic2020 »

you made that pic all by yourself or after some template? (Imported plane and map, perhaps).
But on the topic of the scenario tree\order of battle, if i may give my subjective opinion about it here, i preferred the old Close Combat series way of how the game was played out with the whole area like Normandy to play in for example with each part of the map that was fought for on squad level, and each geographical parts control was dependent on how you fought each "map" successfully and tactically. And in the bigger map you moved your whole divisions, armies for advance and capture in the bigger scale. So almost two games in one with the tactical scenario battles and then the more strategical overview and movement in a bigger scale as well. (But its AI was total rubbish, too bad that).

Edit: I hope i make sense after one edit.... and a bit OT i guess as well now.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”