Field of Glory II: Medieval is coming soon

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Field of Glory II: Medieval is coming soon

Post by Pixel »

Looks like the Hungarians have some wagon defenses too! From a steam page screenshot: Image

City walls were also visible in the twitch preview the other day too.
Image Image
Badger73
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Badger73 »

manickennel wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 am
SLancaster wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 am Does anyone have the link to the Twitch preview? I have tried searching but couldn’t find anything.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/771108778?t=01h01m59s
Enjoy!
That URL didn't work for me. Is there another?
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Image Image
Badger73

Post by Badger73 »

Pixel wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:34 pm try: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/772068157?t=00h38m23s
Much better! Thank you.
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

Glad to see wagons come back. I just hope the same as for camps. Graphics are very nice and elegant , as expected , but the question is about the really new gameplay features, if any. I want to be confident this time it's going not to be "Pike and Shot" with better textures. (aka "I still play Field of Glory "classic") 8)
Warlord156
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Warlord156 »

So looking forward to this, it's been a long wait...... Might even drag me back into scenario design,
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

So...I saw on Steam that AGEOD is working on a new game...any chance there'd be any connection with FOG2: Medieval? Insta-buy for me if Fog2 Crusades comes out with Empires Crusades...
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I looked at the product page and there is no mention of the Spanish and the Moors so I guess there will be no El Cid battles. It mentions the Mongols so Ghengis Khan. What about the Huns and Attila? It also indicates the Baltic Crusades? What about Crusades in the middle east, Saladin etc.? Or do I assume that these will be DLCs for Medieval? If a new game is required rather than having medieval battles as DLCs does that mean there will be sieges of castles in FOG 2 Medieval? Basically what I will be looking for is whether there are signficant differences between the new game and FOG2 other than covering another historical period?
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

canuckgamer wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:07 am I looked at the product page and there is no mention of the Spanish and the Moors so I guess there will be no El Cid battles. It mentions the Mongols so Ghengis Khan. What about the Huns and Attila? It also indicates the Baltic Crusades? What about Crusades in the middle east, Saladin etc.? Or do I assume that these will be DLCs for Medieval? If a new game is required rather than having medieval battles as DLCs does that mean there will be sieges of castles in FOG 2 Medieval? Basically what I will be looking for is whether there are signficant differences between the new game and FOG2 other than covering another historical period?
I believe this release roughly corresponds to the Oath of Fealty table top book, which does include the Northern Crusades. So future expansions will cover the south/east, and the later Medieval era. If it ends up being the same as the table top system, it would be three DLCs, but who knows. Castle assaults are outside of the scope of the game, and I'm not sure that the engine is particularly well suited to it. Huns and Attila are already covered in the FoGII DLC Legions Triumphant; after all Ancients currently covers about 700ishBC-1040AD.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Interesting !

The strength of a Knights and Sergeants unit is only 120 men.

Interesting in terms of gameplay and historically speaking (for someone like me who don't know anything about medieval military organisation, except for the 100 lances of the 'Compagnies d'ordonnance')
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Athos1660 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:46 am Interesting !

The strength of a Knights and Sergeants unit is only 120 men.

Interesting in terms of gameplay and historically speaking (for someone like me who don't know anything about medieval military organisation, except for the 100 lances of the 'Compagnies d'ordonnance')
The game uses a scaling system to ensure that armies are suitably sized for the historical period and region. Most western feudal armies are scaled to 50% of base unit size, whereas further east some armies use 100% scaling and some (e.g. Mongols) even higher. If two armies with different scaling meet in a custom battle, the average of the two scaling factors is used for both sides. This representing the side with lower manpower having to pull out all of the stops to be able to meet the side with larger manpower at all in open battle.

Consequently, the number of men represented by each unit varies from one theatre of battle to another. This system was already used in the Epic Battles and historically-based Campaigns in FOG2: Ancients, but has been extended to Custom Battles in FOG2: Medieval to avoid unrealistic numbers appearing in "normal" western Medieval battles.

The scaling does not affect actual gameplay, apart from the reported number of men and casualties. (Realistically, of course, it should, as it changes the ratio between unit frontage and shooting ranges, but we did not want to get into the complexities of having different rules for scaled battles).
Richard Bodley Scott

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Okay ! Thank you very much, Richard, for this clarification.
(and impressively well-thought!)
rs2excelsior
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rs2excelsior »

I am a bit disappointed it will be an entirely new base game (I wanted to play around with Roman legions against medieval knights!), but the screenshots look great and I am excited for what y'all will be able to do without having to fit the DLC into FOG2's (I suppose FOG2: Ancients now) framework!
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

canuckgamer wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:07 am I looked at the product page and there is no mention of the Spanish and the Moors [Ret: Such as the Siege of "MALAGA-CASTLE".] so I guess there will be no El Cid battles. It mentions the Mongols so Ghengis Khan. What about the Huns and Attila? It also indicates the Baltic Crusades? What about Crusades in the middle east, Saladin etc.? Or do I assume that these will be DLCs for Medieval? If a new game is required rather than having medieval battles as DLCs does that mean there will be sieges of castles in FOG 2 Medieval? Basically what I will be looking for is whether there are signficant differences between the new game and FOG2 other than covering another historical period?
Insightful commentary "canuckgamer"... I agree with your presentation... eventually... we would like to see more than just one slug-fest after another without an overall determined strategic goal.

Controlling a national-faction... with a realistic strategic-plan... with meaningful objectives... with determined spirited purpose... as well as the inclusion of the 'Construction' of 'Castles' that took great-expense and the time necessary to complete... with 'Sieges' included... as well as the defense of ones territorial holdings... could be considered for some future time... to enhance this daring project!.

At present!... what is presented... is quite bizarrely exciting... the 'Graphics' are 'Breath-Taking' [Very-Good-Work!]... and later could stlll be improved upon [Such as detailed 'Terrain-Features'].
Sh1mbo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Sh1mbo »

Cuestion:
the game with be laucnh con gog.com too?, because i havent see any info in GOG about FoG2 medieval
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_ ... re%20used.

Siege of Málaga (1487)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Siege of Málaga (1487) was an action during the Reconquest of Spain in which the Catholic Monarchs of Spain conquered the city of Mālaqa from the Emirate of Granada. The siege lasted about four months.

Background
Mālaqa was the main objective of the 1487 campaign by the Catholic Monarchs against the Emirate of Granada, which had been steadily losing territory to the Crown of Castile forces. King Ferdinand II of Aragon left Córdoba with an army of 20,000 horsemen, 50,000 laborers, and 8,000 support troops. This contingent joined the artillery commanded by Francisco Ramírez de Madrid that left Écija. The army decided to first attack Vélez-Málaga, and then continue west to Malaga.áí[1] Nasrid spies gave word of the movements of the Christians, and the inhabitants of Vélez fled to the mountains and the Bentomiz castle.

The Spanish reached Vélez-Málaga on 17 April 1487 after a slow advance through difficult country. A few days later the lighter siege engines arrived. It had proved impossible to move the heavier ones along the poor roads. Muhammad XIII of Granada (El Zagal) made an attempt to relieve Vélez, but was forced to retreat to Granada by the superior forces of the marquis of Cadiz. On his arrival there he found that he had been overthrown in favor of his nephew Abdallah Muhammad XII. Seeing no hope of relief, Vélez capitulated on 27 April 1487 on condition that the lives of the people would be spared, and they would keep their property and religion. Smaller places also surrendered along the road to Málaga, the next objective.

Emirate of Granada in 1462 (dark green)

Model showing the original Malaga walls

https://www.guidetomalaga.com/see/malag ... the-walls/
A map showing where Malaga walls went
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://tvbattlecastle.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/malaga/
Battle Castle: Medieval Castles Under Siege

The build: Malaga was transformed into a military stronghold by Muslim leader Yusuf I and his successors in the 14th century. Situated in Granada in modern-day Spain, the city’s defences were built to protect its key port against Christians from Aragon and Castile during the Reconquista. Designed to guard a kingdom against annihilation, the city boasts not one, but two fortifications: Gibralfaro Castle – or Castillo de Gibralfaro – and the Alcazaba of Malaga. Its unprecedented military passageway, vast underground chamber system and brilliant watchtower network are testament to its role as the eye of an empire.

The siege: The castle was attacked by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella in 1487 as part of a massive offensive against the city. Commanded by the King’s elite soldier, the Marquis of Cadiz, and defended by Hamet el Zegri, a Muslim warrior fuelled by the desire for revenge, the stronghold was hammered by powerful “lombard” cannons – a weapon that would change the nature of warfare forever. The city and its citizens were also targeted, and for months, the battle raged on. This sustained onslaught would prove to be the bloodiest siege of this centuries-old conflict. And its outcome would change the future of Europe.

BATTLE CASTLE_MALAGA [YouTube]
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vtIZ4zal0 ... ansparent

Videos of Battle CASTLE_MALAGA [YouTube]
https://www.bing.com/search?q=BATTLE+CA ... RS=CHECKED
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

@Retributarr : The base game is set in 11th-13th century North and Central Europe. But DLCs will surely follow (covering until 1500)...
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Finale'... the best explanation of the entire conflict at MALAGA... right here!.

Battle Castle (2012) Season 1 Episode 6 "36:44 minutes".

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=BA ... ORM=VDQVAP
lapdog666

Post by lapdog666 »

ive never been a big fan of fog2 dlcs but this looks more than promising. no wonder it took so long. i wouldnt mind being milked to death with dlcs for this medieval fog2 (since i heard its a separate game).

The terrain looks really better. i like the slightly more cartoonish look and the flags are awesome. Cant wait to play
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

lapdog666 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:05 pm the slightly more cartoonish look
This is the only detail which is bothering me TBH; getting strange Battle Academy vibes here (great game, but the graphic style … :roll: ). Too toy-like - I prefer the more ´realistic' look of FOG2 Ancients maps/textures.

IC XC
NI KA

Return to “News & Announcements”