Need some book advices

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Need some book advices

Post by Benedict151 »

Just a quick note to say that -

"Ph. Contamine, La Guerre au Moyen Age, 2003"

Is also available in English (as 'War in the Middle Ages'). I'd suggest its worth having in your library although I personally prefer Verbruggen and France.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Benedict151 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 pm I think the Ian Heath books are excellent (he also did 'A Wargamers Guide to the Crusades' as well) and well worth having. I'm interested to know if the 2nd Edition of A & A of the Crusades is significantly different to the 1st.

I'd also the second the suggestion re David Nicolle's books (although I find his style at times can be a little off putting) and J France.
For warfare in western medieval Europe I'd be inclined to suggest that -
J France 'Western Warfare in the Age of the Crusades' and
J F Verbruggen 'The Art of Warfare in Western Europe During the Middle Ages'

are both almost indispensable

regards
Ben
Hi Ben,

I received the 2nd Edition of Armies and Enemies of the Crusades this morning. I have not had time to go all through it yet, but my initial impression is that not much has been added. The page size and format has changed, it is a smaller page and larger font, so it is very hard to tell at a glance if much has been changed. 

There is now a contents page, that even lists the individual illustrations. The illustrations and maps are all the same, but much smaller than the originals, I would guess about 75% of the original size. Some sections have been slightly rewritten, and some new information given in places, but nothing major. If you have a good copy of the original it is not really worth getting the 2nd edition.

If you don't have the original, and have any interest in the Crusades and the contemporary wars of the Byzantines and Mongols in the Middle East then it is a must buy.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Benedict151 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:45 am Just a quick note to say that -

"Ph. Contamine, La Guerre au Moyen Age, 2003"

Is also available in English (as 'War in the Middle Ages'). I'd suggest its worth having in your library although I personally prefer Verbruggen and France.
Too bad Verbruggen's book has never been translated in French, although the original edition in Dutch of this Belgian author (De Krijgskunst in West-Europa in de Middeleeuwen, 1954) included a long 40-pages summary in French.
NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by NikiforosFokas »

Just to repay my French friends. There is an excellent book of Abbés Zouache Armées et Compats en Syrie. And you can read it online for free in the open edition's webpage.
A bientôt.
For Byzantium!!
Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Benedict151 »

Paul59 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 pm
Benedict151 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 pm I think the Ian Heath books are excellent (he also did 'A Wargamers Guide to the Crusades' as well) and well worth having. I'm interested to know if the 2nd Edition of A & A of the Crusades is significantly different to the 1st.

I'd also the second the suggestion re David Nicolle's books (although I find his style at times can be a little off putting) and J France.
For warfare in western medieval Europe I'd be inclined to suggest that -
J France 'Western Warfare in the Age of the Crusades' and
J F Verbruggen 'The Art of Warfare in Western Europe During the Middle Ages'

are both almost indispensable

regards
Ben
Hi Ben,

I received the 2nd Edition of Armies and Enemies of the Crusades this morning. I have not had time to go all through it yet, but my initial impression is that not much has been added. The page size and format has changed, it is a smaller page and larger font, so it is very hard to tell at a glance if much has been changed. 

There is now a contents page, that even lists the individual illustrations. The illustrations and maps are all the same, but much smaller than the originals, I would guess about 75% of the original size. Some sections have been slightly rewritten, and some new information given in places, but nothing major. If you have a good copy of the original it is not really worth getting the 2nd edition.

If you don't have the original, and have any interest in the Crusades and the contemporary wars of the Byzantines and Mongols in the Middle East then it is a must buy.
Thanks Paul,
Thats slightly disappointing (although good news its been reprinted for those that do not have a copy), my 1st ed is still in pretty good condition so I think I'll stick with that.

regards
Ben
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

Cover page, The Gods of Battle
Cover page, The Gods of Battle
The Gods of Battle.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
For lots of information and discussion of ancient warfare, light troops, peltasts, and cavalry in general, as well as even more information about the Thracians that you won't find anywhere else, see

The Gods of Battle: The Thracians at War 1500 BC- 46 AD by Chris Webber
(The Thracians were so fond of fighting and so good at it they were referred to in ancient literature as "The Gods of Battle", this is not at all about religion)

You can see a video about the book here:
https://youtu.be/F9kLFjQF6Eo
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

imho getting a copy of Oath of Fealty: Feudal Europe War (FoG tabletop book) is a good way to get some insights about the future army lists of FoG2: Medieval (including armies of South Europe that'll come in a DLC), their allies, warfare of the period, etc., even if there will certainly be some differences in army lists...

(also a good way to know that mounted crossbowmen are cavalry :-) )

(the price of this book second-hand can vary from say 15 to 110 euros... :lol: )
Sh1mbo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Sh1mbo »

if you are in the total war access program you can get Viking Warrior Vs Anglo-Saxon Warrior from Osprey publishing free, is a good read =)
Epiruswarrior
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Epiruswarrior »

Just to name a few that are a must read and the very core/basic:

Titus Livius - Ab Urbe Condita

Polybius - Histories

Eutropius - Breviarium Historiae Romanae
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

sIg3b wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:55 pm Has this book about my favourite period already been mentioned?

armies.jpg
Wow: spot on! "Armies of..." has now been ordered in hardcover. Thanks for advice, slg3b!
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

A book in French, about the French armies during 1337-1494 AD, for free in OpenEdition :

Philippe Contamine, GUERRE, ÉTAT ET SOCIÉTÉ À LA FIN DU MOYEN ÂGE. TOME 1
Études sur les armées des rois de France 1337-1494

Link
Edorf
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Edorf »

I did some research when I wanted buy some new interesting books on both ancient and medieval warfare (and history).
Here’s what I ended up buying:

Books on the ancient period

Hellenistic Land Battles 300-167 BCE: A History and Analysis of 130 Engagements
https://www.amazon.com/Hellenistic-Land ... 1476682569

Greek and Macedonian Land Battles of the 4th Century B.C.: A History and Analysis of 187 Engagements
https://www.amazon.com/Greek-Macedonian ... 371&sr=1-1

Land Battles in 5th Century BC Greece: A History and Analysis of 173 Engagements
https://www.amazon.com/Land-Battles-5th ... 7738&psc=1

Books on the medieval period

Western Warfare in the Age of the Crusades 1000-1300, John France

The Crusades, 1095-1204
https://www.amazon.com/Crusades-1095-12 ... 196&sr=1-1

The Crusader Armies: 1099–1187
https://www.amazon.com/Crusader-Armies- ... 170&sr=1-1

The Northern Crusades
https://www.amazon.com/Northern-Crusade ... 206&sr=1-1

Reconquest and Crusade in Medieval Spain
https://www.amazon.com/Reconquest-Crusa ... 177&sr=1-1

The Medieval Warrior
https://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Warrior ... 157&sr=1-4
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I like Osprey Campaigns a lot cause it is very detailed about one battle or campaign with artistic pictures of the battle and nice operational maps showing army movements. I got to read some very obscure info like how did the English get booted out of France in the 100 years war for example. If you buy the books, they have re-readability so they are not like a normal book but can be read again multiple times over the years because the details and pictures are good. The last one I ordered was Battle of the Java Sea (yes not ancient times but still a glorious battle little known to most people).
DanZanzibar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by DanZanzibar »

After reading this thread, I think I just got $200 CAD of books... The Duncan Head one cost the most but with what I'm hearing I had to get it.

Return to “Field of Glory II”