Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Edmon
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2: 1940 - Dev Diary #1

Post by Edmon »

First detailed look into Axis Operations 1940
One of the most burning questions repeatedly asked of us is what will become of the current content chain, the Axis Operations? Last we left off, they've barely entered into the year 1940, stopping just short of Norway.

To get right into it, we're going to be covering new features in this third chapter of the Axis Operation Grand Campaign, reveal more new unit models being added to the game, introduce a very different kind of AI ally, and more!

As always, our primary mission with ongoing Panzer Corps 2 content is to provide our players with more fresh and exciting twists to the gameplay that they already thoroughly enjoy.
One of the best ways to do that is to continue to innovate with new types of missions and objectives, such as this one:

We have a mission objective to find and locate friendly units. Time to get those recon units out, it's a big map out there to scour in search of a missing Panzer Division!

Not only do we have more new objectives, there is an entirely new scenario type being introduced: Training scenarios! These scenarios provide our players with a chance to fast track experience on newly purchased or badly damaged units, encounter some very unique situations, and make special preparations for the battles ahead.

But standing in your path will be more numerous and more powerful enemies. From special RAF fighter Squadrons to Charles de Gaulle himself and more, the Allies will test you do everything in their power to stop your blitzkrieg in its tracks.

Another wave of new, exotic unit models

Neubaufahrzeug
• More Wehrmacht theme content naturally leads with a very unique German tank; the extremely difficult to pronounce Neubaufahrzeug. This large, multi-turret vehicle was a German experiment with heavy tanks. Unlike some late war paper Panzers that only exist on drawing boards, several Neubaufahrzeug were actually constructed and participated in combat action in Norway.
• Despite their overwhelming firepower, their slow speed and surprisingly light armor did not make for an impressive showing, and future German heavy tank experimentation would have to wait before following a different design philosophy...

Char 2C
• The largest constructed and operational tank, not just of World War II but of all time, makes an appearance in the France 1940 campaign. Despite their astounding size and outrageous 69 ton weight, these vehicles were somewhat antiquated by the time World War II had begun. They were available for, but did not take part in, the failed Saar Offensive because of the impracticality of their design.
• Unlike the Neubaufahrzeug though, the Char 2C boasted impressive armor surpassing even that of the Char B. Somewhere out on the battlefields of France you and your army just might run into this behemoth of a vehicle, so make sure your Stukas and 88s are at the ready just in case!

M11/39
• Predecessor to the more widely known and somewhat decent Italian M13/40 medium tank, this unit will be getting a unique model instead of having to borrow the skin of the M13/40.

Bf109z
• A very experimental design attempting to boost the range and firepower of the excellent Bf-109 by attaching two of them together. Very few of these aircraft were ever actually built, but it is likely they might have been formidable fighter-bombers and bomber killers.
• How you might get your hands on this experimental prototype remains to be seen.

He111z
• What happens when Germany realizes their long range, heavy bomber force is non-existent? Trying gluing two existing medium bombers together! Like the experiments with the Bf109z that would follow, the He111z was an attempt to fill new aircraft roles with extreme modifications of existing ones.

Target Dummies
• We couldn't have training scenarios without target dummies. Engage in target practice with these units to turn those 0 experience recruits into well disciplined and starred troops in no time!

These are only a few of the new models being added to the game that will appear in Axis Operations 1940 or the near future. There are still even more, but this is all we have time to spotlight for the moment...

Rommel in Panzer Corps 2
"Rommel, Rommel, Rommel! What else matters but beating him?!"
While it would be a few years before Winston Churchill would utter this famous quote about the German General now best known as the Desert Fox, the truth is that Rommel's military career was incredible even before he set foot in Africa.

During the Battle of France in 1940, Rommel was commander of only a single division, the 7th Panzer. By the end of the campaign, the division would earn the nickname of Ghost Division. They would earn this name for their ability to seemingly appear out of nowhere, much to the surprise and devastation of the Allied efforts in France and even to the shock of the German High Command who on more than one occasion lost track of their advance from the sheer speed of it.

To explore this incredible historical figure's campaign through France, one of the biggest features of the 1940 campaign will be your opportunity to fight alongside Rommel and his elite 7th Panzer Division across multiple scenarios.

Rommel will participate in briefings and join your forces on the battlefield. To make sure Rommel and the 7th Panzer are given their historical dues, their forces are comprised of Elite and Overstrength units, and their AI scripts and settings are the most advanced that Panzer Corps 2 has ever seen.
Rommel's forces can engage an enemy decisively...
Fall back when damaged to refit and repair...
And even help participate in performing humongous encirclements of enemy forces!
All of this should combine to provide the player with a very powerful AI partner for a part of their campaigning experience!

Your Feedback
As always, we are reading and listening to your feedback. Many thousands of posts and messages have greatly improved Panzer Corps 2 for its entire playerbase, and we encourage you to continue to share your thoughts and wants for the game into the future!

In fact, when some eagle eyed community members spotted a bit of an issue with Holland in an earlier screenshot, we made it a priority to make sure it's going to get adjusted while the campaign continues to be put through testing...

Conclusion Teaser
We hope you enjoyed this extended preview of the upcoming Axis Operations 1940 DLC and look forward to returning your units to combat soon.

Axis Operations: 1940 is currently finishing it's testing phase, and is scheduled to deploy in early December 2020.

But to those players who have been pining for some non-Axis Campaign content... It's still too early to say anything concrete on this, but just know that we have heard you, and it's absolutely on our radar!
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Panzer Corps 2: 1940 - Dev Diary #1

Post by kondi754 »

He 111Z :?: :shock: :lol:

Excellent presentation BTW :wink:
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

It's inspiring to see such dedication in action... such as to expand-develop and "flesh-out the missing!"... "the unknown!"... "the unfamiliar!" and passed over forgotten aspects of this WWII historical event.

Even i... myself was totally unaware of some of the submissions presented here in this presentation!. It is refreshing to see such diligent investigative and development effort being put into the creation of this Game!... so i would have to finally conclude that... "there is no other Game like it!".

Keep up pressing on with this "herculean effort" to make this a spectacular Game... this is indeed ground-breaking "Game development history" taking place here!.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

I like what I see.
  • New unique units for collators and fans of the less known ones - present and really unexpected.
  • Interesting ideas for heroes in addition to the more famous ones - also available and seem to add a bit of history lessons as a side effect.
  • Objectives not seen before - great!
  • Entire new type of mission - potentially cool introduction to the new part of AO.
  • Listening to fans and updating the M11/39 model - done. Bonus points from me as the Italian army equipment nerd. :)
jeannot le lapin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by jeannot le lapin »

2 birds "hand in hand": He-111z "Zwilling"

He-111Z-16.JPG
He-111Z-16.JPG (42.33 KiB) Viewed 9536 times
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Wow, can´t wait to play the new DLC....
GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

I hope we can see correct 3d model for non german infantry, like norwegian, nederlands, Greeks, yugoslavian and others and not “lend lease” british infantry instead...
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:44 pm I hope we can see correct 3d model for non german infantry, like norwegian, nederlands, Greeks, yugoslavian and others and not “lend lease” british infantry instead...
It's not highlighted in the diary, because it already has too much going on already, but there have indeed also been some new infantry models. I hope to give them a proper highlight in the future, but regardless players will definitely see them in game.
Scrapulous
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Scrapulous »

I'm inspired, and because of that I have a new unit suggestion. Ask yourself: how can we double the armor and firepower of the Char B2? Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Char B4: two B2s attached to one another side by side. No doubt I will soon be swamped with lucrative offers for design contracts, so I fear I won't have time to answer thorny questions like "How can it turn?" and "Do you understand how armor works?"
Tumnog
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Tumnog »

If I read the other dev post correctly, the 1940 DLC will be available for purchase early Dec 2020?
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Tumnog wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:14 pm If I read the other dev post correctly, the 1940 DLC will be available for purchase early Dec 2020?
That is definitely the plan as I understand it. So far it hasn't changed, but anything is possible...
Personally I wouldn't mind it going out just a few days earlier, but I would definitely not like it to be delayed. :cry:
Tumnog

Post by Tumnog »

Kerensky wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:44 pm
Tumnog wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:14 pm If I read the other dev post correctly, the 1940 DLC will be available for purchase early Dec 2020?
That is definitely the plan as I understand it. So far it hasn't changed, but anything is possible...
Personally I wouldn't mind it going out just a few days earlier, but I would definitely not like it to be delayed. :cry:
Very cool, looking forward to it :) and congrats on doing an awesome job!
goering_slith
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by goering_slith »

I loooooove it! :-)
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Kerensky wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:44 pm
AO 1940 is the only thing right now that will make me wait before playing Cyberpunk 2077 - assuming that game even comes out this year in the first place after being moved so many times.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Tassadar wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:22 pm AO 1940 is the only thing right now that will make me wait before playing Cyberpunk 2077 - assuming that game even comes out this year in the first place after being moved so many times.
Imagine if they delay it again, and all that games that moved out of the holiday season specifically to avoid 2077 just run into it again next year. :P
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

Kerensky wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:04 am
Tassadar wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:22 pm AO 1940 is the only thing right now that will make me wait before playing Cyberpunk 2077 - assuming that game even comes out this year in the first place after being moved so many times.
Imagine if they delay it again, and all that games that moved out of the holiday season specifically to avoid 2077 just run into it again next year. :P
Actually, it did already happen. A lot of games scheduled to be released in november were delayed to december to avoid the cyberpunk release overlap.... I imagine they regret that decision now. lol
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

It also works in the other direction.
The creators of Wasteland 3 decided to release their game at the beginning of September, in my opinion not quite ready (it was rather a Beta version) and were heavily criticized by players on the Steam forum.
It seems to me that the attitude of the Poles who create Cyberpunk is better because they respect their customers and don't want to sell them a product which is not ready or with bugs IMHO.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Kerensky wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:44 pm That is definitely the plan as I understand it. So far it hasn't changed, but anything is possible...
Except for the individual scenarios, I am completely finished with the entire content of Panzer Corps 2.

I also set various save points in the normal campaigns and played all alternative paths.

According to Steam I played 344 hours of Panzer Corps 2. :wink:

The development of the DLC's is clearly too slow for me...LOl :mrgreen:
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Magic1111 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:56 pm
Kerensky wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:44 pm That is definitely the plan as I understand it. So far it hasn't changed, but anything is possible...
Except for the individual scenarios, I am completely finished with the entire content of Panzer Corps 2.

I also set various save points in the normal campaigns and played all alternative paths.

According to Steam I played 344 hours of Panzer Corps 2. :wink:

The development of the DLC's is clearly too slow for me...LOl :mrgreen:
I've got a very similar number right now (349), but a lot of it is also with the game alt-tabbed, so that might not be an accurate representation of the actual time. For Panzer Corps 1 it was 556 with all DLC (excluding the Western GC path somehow) and a few fan campaigns, so I already see PzC2 to be the more appealing of the two, just the fact that waiting for future content got me to try out different runs while n the first game after going through the path one I did not really feel like trying again speaks a lot about how things improved. Truly, if a game is enjoyable, then the speed at which DLC come out always seems to slow. Still, I'd trade a mostly bug free build for speed - both with AO 1940 and Cyberpunk. :)
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Tassadar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:24 pm Still, I'd trade a mostly bug free build for speed - both with AO 1940 and Cyberpunk. :)
That's absolutely true. But still... if the DLC release speed continues at this rate, the last DLC will be released in two or three years... :wink:

Not to mention an Africa- or Allied Corps, if something like this is even in the pipeline.

Or in other words: Yes, the DLC development takes too long for me when you consider that these are official expansions that we have to pay for.

And that´s are no MODS, where modders only work on it in their free time and which are free for the community. Then that would be different.

Return to “News & Announcements”