AO Gotta catch 'em all! - The Pazermon Run

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

AO Gotta catch 'em all! - The Pazermon Run

Post by Tassadar »

A concept of the third AO run I am pondering on right now just after the Retrograde Very Slow Modernization. This one however would be something entirely different, so I was hoping for some opinion and ideas before I have a go at it as there are some dilemmas I'm trying to figure out. The core of the idea is to capture as many units as I can AND use them instead of any German equipment, aside from gift units. Not sure if I'd start that before AO 1940, maybe just a few SCW scenarios, but certainly something tempting that I'd love to try out.

Difficulty - General

Traits - Deadly Grasp, Flexible Command, Trophies of War, AA Veteran, Retrograde, No Overstrength

Trophies of War would be a must, since it is the only way to reliably use some types of units that are not too common. Deadly Grasp and Flexible Command are very important for capturing and AA Veteran is also basically compulsory, since non-German aircraft are extremely limited. For negatives I would choose Retrograde (basically free points considering the idea) and No Overstrength, since not only supplies are limited, but also this would push me to sing as many different machines as possible.

Extra rules:
  • I can only use non-German units with the exception of:
- Cases where I do not have enough gift/captured units to fill all slots.
- German gift units. EDIT - starting from AO 1941 these will be replaced by captured units entirely.
- If a scenario requires a specific type of unit to trigger an event.
- If a scenario requires a specific type of unit be at all beatable or to get a bonus objective (I can imagine this would be the case for infantry and fighters for the most part). However, in such such cases I would always attempt to pass a scenario without those German units. Warsaw can potentially be a nightmare...
  • Gift units can only be upgraded if there is a better version of the same "main branch" of unit. This would almost for sure deny the Verdeja 2 an upgrade ever and only allow me to upgrade the Panzer IIA along the Panzer II list - up to the C variant and so on.
- EDIT - starting from AO 1941 these will be replaced by captured units entirely.
  • Only one non-German unit of each type allowed on the battlefield to maximize the usage of different ones.
The key questions I'm still trying to figure out are:
  • Maybe for the cases where I would have to deploy non-German units (aside from initial SCW scenarios before I build up the force and still have access to allied units) I should take Auxiliary Force? What to take as an extra negative trait then? Setting up the points up to 4 would feel like cheating a bit, so I would prefer to avoid it if possible. Taking Auxiliary Force seems tempting with the rule I can only deploy units essential to the scenario, but my negative options are limited. Slow Modernization is dangerous due to the fact stocks can suddenly run out, and everything else feels to crippling for this approach. Inefficient Supply seems like the least bad choice, but would it be worth it?
  • A interesting option would be to allow gift unit upgrades as long as the machine uses the same chassis - so for example the Panzer II could later in the war switch to a Marder II or Wespe? Still no hope for Verdeja 2 unless Verdeja 75 mm is added.
  • Perhaps skip the non-German unit rule in terms of basic infantry and allow Wehr Infanterie normally, but keep the rule for any other more powerful/specialized infantry? That's less wild, but certainly more balanced.
Any thoughts and insight is welcome, there's still some time before I try this, so it might lead to new discoveries.
Last edited by Tassadar on Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormchaser
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: AO Gotta catch 'em all! - The Pazermon Run

Post by Stormchaser »

Tassadar wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:47 pm
  • Maybe for the cases where I would have to deploy non-German units (aside from initial SCW scenarios before I build up the force and still have access to allied units) I should take Auxiliary Force? What to take as an extra negative trait then? Setting up the points up to 4 would feel like cheating a bit, so I would prefer to avoid it if possible. Taking Auxiliary Force seems tempting with the rule I can only deploy units essential to the scenario, but my negative options are limited. Slow Modernization is dangerous due to the fact stocks can suddenly run out, and everything else feels to crippling for this approach. Inefficient Supply seems like the least bad choice, but would it be worth it?
Honestly, I feel like Auxillery Force is a Trait that can have an entire run built around it on its own, what with having a smaller core and needing to spend Prestige on units you can't take with you to continously gain xp but you also don't care as much about keeping alive. While it would allow reprieve at times in regards to infantry and air units for fights where captured equipment can't really help, there would likely be plenty of times you won't be able to justify the additions, leaving you stuck with the extra Negative you picked. If you want Infantry, I'd say your other idea is better.
  • A interesting option would be to allow gift unit upgrades as long as the machine uses the same chassis - so for example the Panzer II could later in the war switch to a Marder II or Wespe? Still no hope for Verdeja 2 unless Verdeja 75 mm is added.
That I feel is up to your own personal taste as to what upgrades are eligible.
  • Perhaps skip the non-German unit rule in terms of basic infantry and allow Wehr Infanterie normally, but keep the rule for any other more powerful/specialized infantry? That's less wild, but certainly more balanced.
I think I prefer this much simpler option for Infantry purposes that the Auxilary Force idea. As for an in game justification, while your equipment might be captured enemy equipment, while in your army they are crewed by loyal Germans personnel, so having your infantry staffed by the same makes total sense.
WalterTFD
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by WalterTFD »

I was thinking of something similar, a run where I could only ever have one of each unit, call it the Wildcard run or w/ever. I can upgrade something to be something else, but when it comes time to deploy, just one unit of each model of tank, each kind of fighter, etc. Goodbye to my endless batteries of the 15cm guns.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Stormchaser wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:00 am
Tassadar wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:47 pm
Honestly, I feel like Auxillery Force is a Trait that can have an entire run built around it on its own, what with having a smaller core and needing to spend Prestige on units you can't take with you to continously gain xp but you also don't care as much about keeping alive. While it would allow reprieve at times in regards to infantry and air units for fights where captured equipment can't really help, there would likely be plenty of times you won't be able to justify the additions, leaving you stuck with the extra Negative you picked. If you want Infantry, I'd say your other idea is better.
With the -10% core slots negative trait combined and maybe only using prototypes from Industry Connections in core army, hmm... that's another idea of it's own. I can just imagine something like that would be really prestige draining.
I think I prefer this much simpler option for Infantry purposes that the Auxilary Force idea. As for an in game justification, while your equipment might be captured enemy equipment, while in your army they are crewed by loyal Germans personnel, so having your infantry staffed by the same makes total sense.
Thanks for the input, that in game justification sounds quite solid and would allow me to at least assign a random infantry only hero every now and then in case Azul Infanterie ends up being the only special infantry unit we will ever get in AO. :)
WalterTFD wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:43 pm I was thinking of something similar, a run where I could only ever have one of each unit, call it the Wildcard run or w/ever. I can upgrade something to be something else, but when it comes time to deploy, just one unit of each model of tank, each kind of fighter, etc. Goodbye to my endless batteries of the 15cm guns.
Now that's yet another interesting option. In the Very Slow Retrograde run I felt it a bit in parts of the campaign especially with tanks and planes before the Bf 109E. This for sure would cause even more reason to make the most use of special heroes!
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

Tassadar wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:44 pm
Thanks for the input, that in game justification sounds quite solid and would allow me to at least assign a random infantry only hero every now and then in case Azul Infanterie ends up being the only special infantry unit we will ever get in AO. :)
An alternate way to keep it limited besides only using Wehr Infantry would be to treat it like all you other units and only allow 1 of each type. So 1 Wehr, 1 Grenadier, 1 Pionere, 1 Cavalry, 1 Gebirgsjager, and 1 Fallschirmjager.
More flexibility in roles, but you get a very limited number.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

With a day off today I started a bit of work towards this idea. :)

Final rules involve:

Difficulty - General

Traits - Deadly Grasp, Flexible Command, Trophies of War, AA Veteran, Retrograde, No Overstrength

Extra rules:
  • I can only use non-German units with the exception of:
- German gift units. EDIT - starting from AO 1941 these will be replaced by captured units entirely.
- Cases where I do not have enough gift/captured units to fill all slots.
- Cases where I would have empty slots after using all captured/gift units (due to not having units with specific core slot costs after deployment to fill in a point or two).
- If a scenario requires a specific type of unit to trigger an event.
- If a scenario requires a specific type of unit be at all beatable or to get a bonus objective.
  • To use a captured unit I should have at the very least about 15 in the stock, but it may vary depending on expected losses and in general I will try to use them as soon as it makes sense, even if they are inferior to base German ones.
  • Gift units can only be upgraded if there is a better version of the same "main branch" of unit. This would almost for sure deny the Verdeja 2 an upgrade ever and only allow me to upgrade the Panzer IIA along the Panzer II list - up to the C variant and so on. I can also upgrade later if a unit uses the same base chassis (for example Panzer II into Wespe). EDIT - starting from AO 1941 these will be replaced by captured units entirely.
  • Only one non-German unit of each type allowed on the battlefield to maximize the usage of different ones.
  • Only non-German infantry allowed is Wehr Infanterie in most cases - other only if it is required for specific objectives.
  • Auxiliary non-German units (CTV or other possible future allies) are perfectly fine, but in general mostly to fill in gaps, not to be overused.
  • Custom core applied at start of SCW - I won't need tactical bombers for a long time since there will be no options to use captured ones.
AO Spanish Civil War - Seville

Starting Prestige: 1130

Starting Army Composition:

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 4 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 5 - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA (Horse Transport)

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51
III./JG 1 - He 51

Army is ready, but air force is limited and will not grow much anytime soon aside from a few strategic bombers I will not use anyway after Antequera until at least 1939, barring any free core slot situations.

Summary

1. Encircle enemy units.
2. Soften them up with split artillery forces.
3. Wait a turn to tighten the grasp.
4. Profit.
5. Rinse and repeat.

Final Prestige: 6604 (up 5474!)

Captured equipment pool changes (+10 if it's in use):

FT-17 - 8 (+8)
BT-5 - 12 (+12)
T-26 - 18 (+18)
Bilbao - 70 (+70)
UNL-35 - 12 (+12)
37mm M1940 - 42 (+42)
45mm M1932 - 16 (+16)
105mm Vickers M22 - 16 (+16)
70mm Schneider M08 - 72 (+72)
203mm M1931 - 19 (+19)
20mm M33 - 44 (+44)
75mm Vickers M1931 - 16 (+16)

Overall

Wow, that was absolutely unexpected. I did foresee that capturing units will be profitable with Trophies of War, but this exceeded my wildest expectations. Just after this first scenario i have a lot of equipment available and tons of prestige to spare. Of course with this being the very first mission and enemy troops being weakened so much (both in terms of max strength and type of machines available) it's not an exact indicator of things to come, but it does put me in a advantageous position. I even managed to sneak my recons near the northern airfield and capture the valuable 75mm Vickers M1931 AA gun.

AO Spanish Civil War - Antequera

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 6734

Hero:

First hero is on the very good side. I won't be capturing infantry, so added attack against it is something I am happy to see. Assigning to PzAbt 3 and waiting for a decent Rapid Fire tank upgrade.

Captured Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 1 - T-26
AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao
Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 45mm M1932 (Horse Transport)
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 37mm M1930 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 1 - 203mm M1931 (SdKfz 7)
Artillerie Abt 2 - 105mm Vickers M22 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 5 - 70mm Schneider M08 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 1 - 75mm Vickers M31 (SdKfz 7)

That's a really good starting equipment pool. Of course the Bilbao and 70mm Schneider M08 are inferior to what I use, but at least this gives me the option to do the expected objectives in terms of not using German units where possible. I only not use the 20mm M33 AA gun for now. Retrograde means that even if I buy it, I cannot assign a transport to it. I could If I upgraded an existing AA gun, but again with Retrograde I cannot buy more than the starting single unit the game gives, so for now I'm a bit stuck on this front.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA - Butcher
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao
AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber - to join during the mission
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber - to join during the mission
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber - to join during the mission

Reserve

III./JG 1 - He 51

Summary:

My AA gun needs to be constantly close to my artillery and provide cover. 203mm M1931 is an especially tasty target for the enemy, so I tend to move my planes last and fly over the key artillery pieces with a split stack just for extra safety.

Final Prestige: 8715 (up 1981)

Captured equipment pool changes (+10 extra to the total figure if it's in use):

BT-5 - 26 (+14)
Bilbao - 75 (+15) - in use
UNL-35 - 16 (+4)
37mm M1940 - 36 (+4) - in use
45mm M1932 - 4 (-2) - in use
203mm M1931 - 19 (+10) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 2 (+2)
122mm M10/30 - 28 (+28)
75mm Schneider M06 - 10 (+10)
20mm M33 - 64 (+20)
75mm Vickers M1931 - 20 (+14) - in use

Overall:

Good progress on all fronts. Valuable captures include a lot of 122mm artillery, enough BT-5 tanks to justify a unit and decent amount of 75mm AA guns to keep me supplied for a while. I am not feeling the effects of a reduced fighter force yet since the Vickers gun is a beast, striking down Republican planes that dare come near my units. It can just hit one at a time however, so as the enemy air force grows, I will need to somehow find solutions to the growing problem that was a consideration in my early Retrograde run. Unit captures can keep me going prestige wise, but it would be bad to loose captured equipment in large numbers due to holes in AA cover...

AO Spanish Civil War - Merida

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 9336

Hero:

Ah, the hero that I prefer not to use at all since it involves loosing strength, which is bad if I want to not loose equipment. I assign the hero to II./JG 1 since for now it will not use captured machines there and this essentially becomes a minimal impact hero just for the records later in the game due to the nature of the run.

PzAbt 2 - BT-5
PzAbt 3 - Trubia
AufkAbt 2 - UNL-35
Artillerie Abt 3 - 122mm M10/30 (Horse Transport)

A few valuable upgrades. My tanks are looking quite scary right now, I just need to keep them fed with replacements constantly. Especially the BT-5 with less thick armor might require more careful management.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26
PzAbt 2 - BT-5
PzAbt 3 - Trubia - Butcher
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - *
AufkAbt 2 - UNL-35 - *

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51 - Avenger

Reserve

III./JG 1 - He 51
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Once Vega appears i attack him from the air and scare away. He will run when dealt damage by planes, so that's the best way to keep him off my forces. I could capture him and get his tank, but Vickers Mk.III is nothing amazing. I'd rather have him return later with something better and make use of that instead.

Final Prestige: 11541 (up 2205)

FT-17 - 22 (+14)
BT-5 - 25 (+9) - in use
T26 - 7 (-1) - in use
Trubia - 32 (+42) - in use
Bilbao - 62 (-13) - in use
UNL-35 - 66 (+60) - in use
AAC-1937 - 14 (+14)
37mm M1940 - 52 (+18) - in use
45mm M1932 - 1 (-3) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 34 (+28) - in use
122mm M10/30 - 30 (+2)
75mm Vickers M1931 - 17 (-3) - in use

Overall:

Keeping Vega away was easier to achieve than I expected and thanks to that I did not suffer to many losses out in the open. My artillery, while not numerous was quite powerful, so it managed to easily clear the road north. In the meantime the Italian army with some support worked on the side objective. AT guns were quite busy and some issues started to come up with the units I have as well. 70mm Schneider M08 is weaker even than the German 7.5 cm artillery, so while it can apply nice suppression for surrenders, it's firepower otherwise is too limited. The Bilbao armored car is also quite poor. It's slow, weak on the offense and vulnerable, so despite capturing a lot of these overall I constantly take losses, even when keeping them back an using only for encirclement. It's going to be interesting to see if I can keep them supplied for this exact reason - the pace at which I lose these cars might be faster than my ability to capture new ones. On the plus side, still no losses to the mighty 203mm M1931 gun, but that's with very dedicated AA and fighter support. I hope my situation in this regard improves since with the current level of cover I can barely just support this one unit to prevent losses. If I had two of them that would not be possible reliably anymore.
Last edited by Tassadar on Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

Good to see this run start. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Hmm...I've been lucky/good enough to take out Vega the first time he appears and now I'm curious at to what he does show up in in later missions...
WalterTFD

Post by WalterTFD »

He recurred twice on me, a right devil when he's among his mates.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Toledo

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 12221

Hero:

Double Move is an ability I certainly like and it seems like the perfect fit for the fast BT-5 tanks in PzAbt 2.

PzAbt 4 - FT-17

Yup, that's correct. Rules are rules, so I exchange my Panzer I for the mighty FT-17 with WWI experience. It will strike fear in the hearts of my enemies and is truly a Tiger of it's age. As silly as it seems, it actually is superior to the Panzer I in a few aspects and if it was faster, I would not even have any issues with this change.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26
PzAbt 2 - BT-5 - Double Move
PzAbt 3 - Trubia - Butcher
PzAbt 4 - FT-17

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - *
AufkAbt 2 - UNL-35 - *

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51

Reserve

III./JG 1 - He 51
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Things are fine up north, but the southern flank progresses quite slowly despite numerous artillery support.

Final Prestige: 12835 (up 614)

FT-17 - 20 (+8) - in use
BT-5 - 28 (+3) - in use
T-26 - 13 (+6) - in use
Trubia - 30 (-2) - in use
Bilbao - 61 (-1) - in use
UNL-35 - 88 (+22) - in use
AAC-1937 - 28 (+14)
37mm M1940 - 47 (-5) - in use
45mm M1932 - 6 (-5) - moved to reserve due to losses
105mm Vickers M22 - 31 (-3) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 96 (+34) - in use
122mm M10/30 - 35 (+5)
75mm Vickers M1931 - 12 (-5) - in use

Overall:

The FT-17 tank proved a lot more useful than I expected it to be. Yest, it's horribly slow, but at the same time quite sturdy and has decent hard attack. Plus the enemy does not prioritize it at all, so it can get way with some risky moves. On to the less positive news - losses to AT and AT guns are larger than I hoped for and I am forced to temporarily put Panzerjäger Abt 1 in reserve due to equipment shortages. FlaK Abt 1 is another unit approaching dangerous levels and I need to keep it more safe moving forward and forgo any AT mode usage at all since it's invaluable in AA mode and does not really have as good of a replacement. Also, slow progress in the south almost cost me the side objective. The last victory hex fell on the very final turn!

AO Spanish Civil War - Early Madrid

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 13481

Hero:

Since I do not have tactical bombers that would normally most benefit from this typo of hero I assign him to III./JG 1. It means he will be used rarely, but I want to keep my other units open to heroes I would prefer to use and keep them there permanently rather than just assign them since I can. This will be an option later in the game, maybe to convert one of the later captured fighters into a ground attack plane?

New Units Commissioned:

AufkAbt 3 - AAC-1937
FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33

I decide to use my stock of 20mm AA guns despite the lack of horse transports for them. I expect significant amounts of Republican planes, so every little bit of AA coverage will be invaluable. I also captured enough AAC-1937 cars to use them. They look cool and hit stronger against hard targets, but are slower than the UNL-35 and have lower ground defense.

AufkAbt 3 - AAC-1937
FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26
PzAbt 2 - BT-5 - Double Move
PzAbt 3 - Trubia - * - Butcher
PzAbt 4 - FT-17
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2 - to join during the mission

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - *
AufkAbt 2 - UNL-35 - *
AufkAbt 3 - AAC-1937

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
III./JG 1 - He 51 - Entrenchment Killer 4x

Reserve

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 45mm M1932 (Horse Transport) - equipment shortages
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

I run into Vega again, but since I really want him to come back with a better machine, I encircle him (with some help of CTV infantry brought at the start of the scenario to occupy river crossings) and just prevent him from moving. It required acting fast, since otherwise my allies could be tempted to attack him and accidentally make him surrender.

Final Prestige: 14046 (up 565)

FT-17 - 21 (+1) - in use
BT-5 - 67 (+39) - in use
T-26 - 8 (-5) - in use
Trubia - 27 (-3) - in use
Bilbao - 60 (-1) - in use
UNL-35 - 123 (+35) - in use
AAC-1937 - 21 (+2) - in use
BA-6 - 20 (+20)
37mm M1940 - 41 (-6) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 25 (-6) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 91 (-5) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 18 (+16)
122mm M10/30 - 48 (+13)
20mm M33 - 74 (+20) - in use
75mm Vickers M1931 - 10 (-2) - in use

Overall:

For now the times of crazy prestige gains came to a halt. I'm still making a profit, but not as insane as initially once enemy forces became more formidable. However the scenario is a success overall. I got my first gift unit that will not have to worry about running out of parts. Bringing the 20mm M33 AA gun along was also the right move, as even without horse transport the men shot down quite a few planes and helped to keep my ground forces safe. Only downside is that I was not able to replenish my 45mm M1932 At gun supply. There were quite a few of these positioned on hills, but at only 5 strength and no ability to quickly encircle them, they became prime targets for allied infantry that took them out before I could act. Another interesting fact is that I got a really good supply of BT-5 tanks, but my T-26 stocks are running low, so I should now prioritize these if possible.

AO Spanish Civil War - Corunna Road

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 14201

Hero:

A hero with potential for this run! Destroying movement points is really helpful for making surrenders easier when terrain does not favor a full encirclement. I could assign him to an artillery unit, but these often have better things to do than just apply suppression to my capture targets. For surrenders, there's really nothing like recons, so AufkAbt 2 it is.

New Units Commissioned:

AufkAbt 4 - BA-6

BA-6 is an improved version of the AAC-1937. Even higher hard attack and better armor, but still not as fast as I like my recon cars to be.

AufkAbt 4 - BA-6
Artillerie Abt 4 - 152mm M10/30 (SdKfz 7)

All my artillery now uses captured equipment, perfect. I just hope I can keep my 152mm M10/30 guns safe, they are hard to come by.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26 - *
PzAbt 2 - BT-5 - * - Double Move
PzAbt 3 - Trubia - * - Butcher, Survivor
PzAbt 4 - FT-17 - *
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - *
AufkAbt 2 - UNL-35 - ** - Shock Tactics
AufkAbt 3 - AAC-1937
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 203mm M1931 (SdKfz 7) - *
Artillerie Abt 2 - 105mm Vickers M22 (Horse Transport) - *
Artillerie Abt 3 - 122mm M10/30 (Horse Transport) - *
Artillerie Abt 4 - 152mm M10/30 (SdKfz 7) - *
Artillerie Abt 5 - 70mm Schneider M08 (Horse Transport) - *

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51

Reserve

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 45mm M1932 (Horse Transport) - equipment shortages
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Panzerjäger Abt 2 gets to stay in reserve since I would be left with an empty slot otherwise and would have to deploy a strategic bomber, so not really beneficial.

Summary:

These two tanks are a major pain for the majority of the scenario, preventing me from corssing the river. I eventually have to encircle the postilions from u north to meet one of the bonus objectives, but one again it takes more time than I would hope for, similar to Toledo.

Final Prestige: 16356 (up 2155)

BT-5 - 85 (+18) - in use
T-26 - 23 (+15) - in use
Trubia - 24 (-3) - in use
Bilbao - 57 (-3) - in use
AAC-1937 - 32 (+9) - in use
BA-6 - 9 (-1) - in use
37mm M1940 - 39 (-2) - in use
45mm M1932 - 22 (+26) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 90 (-1) - in use
122mm M10/30 - 47 (-1)
20mm M33 - 82 (+8) - in use
75mm Vickers M1931 - 18 (+8) - in use

Overall:

Back on the positive track with valuable T-26 captures when my supply was running low and finally being able to secure more 45mm M1932 guns - this was a race to the cities against allied infantry, who at this point I suspect was destroying all earlier such units on purpose just to to troll me. I even sneaked a small force towards the Republican camp and secured some more AA guns from one of the airfields.
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

Well, other than whatever Vega shows up in and the Panzer II Prototype, I think you are pretty much capped for Tanks this run. Oh wait, there are the 2 Matilda Is that the Republicans have in Madrid, but those will probably have to wait till 1940 to actually use considering when they show up.
You definitely have all the capturable Recon and Anti-Tank guns I remember. Unless you somehow grab some of the French guns in Catalonia.
I think there is another big AA gun that shows up every now and then you can still get (Also the French in Catalonia again), and there were a lot of different Artillery guns so there's probably 1 or 2 more or those you can get.
And then there is just the I-15 Commendation reward, which I believe should be coming up fairly soon.

You're very quickly running out of potential units to field.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what is your plan to deal with situations where you have 2 or more captured equipment piles of what is clearly the same gun, just captured in service of different nations and thus having different names?
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Stormchaser wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:55 pm Well, other than whatever Vega shows up in and the Panzer II Prototype, I think you are pretty much capped for Tanks this run. Oh wait, there are the 2 Matilda Is that the Republicans have in Madrid, but those will probably have to wait till 1940 to actually use considering when they show up.
Interesting, I never noticed these. I'll have to carefully look and try to get some then, thanks for the hint!
Stormchaser wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:55 pm Unless you somehow grab some of the French guns in Catalonia.
I think there is another big AA gun that shows up every now and then you can still get (Also the French in Catalonia again), and there were a lot of different Artillery guns so there's probably 1 or 2 more or those you can get.
And then there is just the I-15 Commendation reward, which I believe should be coming up fairly soon.
The French guns are a tempting idea. I'll for sure dedicate a special task force to try and get some and I\ll for sure try to capture Russian equipment in Polish scenarios (Katyusha would be quite fun to have). As for the planes, I believe the other reward also gives I-16s (I-15's appear as "junk" in Warsaw investigation).
Stormchaser wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:55 pm You're very quickly running out of potential units to field.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what is your plan to deal with situations where you have 2 or more captured equipment piles of what is clearly the same gun, just captured in service of different nations and thus having different names?
I'll fill these free slots up with absolute basic German units that I know I will want to upgrade using captured ones (I assume AA guns and maybe one artillery), since in 1939 there will be a lot of potential there and starting that AO DLC I'll hopefully never again run into situations where the core slots increase so much that I'd have to use something from the default roster. As for piles of different equipment from various nations, I think I just saw that happen with Polish FT-17's, but if this happens for something more long lasting I'll just use up the existing pile and then move to the other one if I want to continue using the unit after not being able to capture more of the previous nation's version. I'm not sure if this will ever come up at all, but that's the plan.
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

Tassadar wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:18 pm
Interesting, I never noticed these. I'll have to carefully look and try to get some then, thanks for the hint!
They sorta serve as the elite tank units for the Republicans in Madrid, since all the T-26s and BT-5s went communist leaving the Republicans with Trubias otherwise.
I believe they both start in the Northwest corner of the map. One usually crosses the river where you can find it with a push to the north part of Madrid, but the other tends to stay on the other side and can be trickier to find in my experiance. Of course, I tend to push fairly early and hard in Madrid, especially in the north and south ends where the Republicans and Communists are already beating the crap out of each other. So a more defensive plan might change their movements.
I never really bothered with them because other than the defense ratings I'm pretty sure the late SCW Panzer Is were on par if not better, especially since I'm pretty sure they have a Movement of 3 which is a huge red flag when it come to tanks for me. But in this run a tank is a tank so glad to help. :lol:
The French guns are a tempting idea. I'll for sure dedicate a special task force to try and get some and I\ll for sure try to capture Russian equipment in Polish scenarios (Katyusha would be quite fun to have). As for the planes, I believe the other reward also gives I-16s (I-15's appear as "junk" in Warsaw investigation).
I stand corrected on the Fighters then, lol.

Good luck on the French if you try for them. I took most of my army up there to see what I could find for fun once, and it is a very tough nut to crack. Lots of mines, strongpoints, forts, and dug in infantry for the outer wall. Behind it though I'm pretty sure they had a couple of the better of the 2 Anti-Tank guns you see them with in 1939 and at least 2 different types of AA guns, plus a few more Infantry. Can't remember if they had any Artillery, you'd think they would but I think the forts handled that part of the defensive line.

And oh yeah, I always try to catch me some Katyushas in Poland. :lol:
I'll fill these free slots up with absolute basic German units that I know I will want to upgrade using captured ones (I assume AA guns and maybe one artillery), since in 1939 there will be a lot of potential there and starting that AO DLC I'll hopefully never again run into situations where the core slots increase so much that I'd have to use something from the default roster. As for piles of different equipment from various nations, I think I just saw that happen with Polish FT-17's, but if this happens for something more long lasting I'll just use up the existing pile and then move to the other one if I want to continue using the unit after not being able to capture more of the previous nation's version. I'm not sure if this will ever come up at all, but that's the plan.
Fair enough. I was mostly curious because it could have been argued that with Spanish, Polish, and French FT-17s you could have three of those units, but this way probably sticks to the spirit if the challenge better.

And yeah, between France, Poland, Soviets, and to a lesser extent Denmark (technically if you are willing to miss out on a certain Hero you could grab some Czech equipment as well) 1939 is a treasure trove of captured unit possibilites, but that's also where you start running into the same model guns in different armies issue I mentioned.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Malaga

Out of the two possibilities I choose the Malaga path - this should give me more chances to capture tanks versus more chances to capture artillery on the other one. Tanks are workhorses of my army and I need to build up a solid supply for 1939 when Soviet machines are no longer seen on the battlefields in such large numbers.

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 17455

Hero:

Let's face it, the meme was too tempting. PzAbt 4 with FT-17's just had to become the Tank Killer team. Jokes aside, they have rather good hard attack, so it's not as absurd as it may seem.

New Equipment Provided:

FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33 (Horse Transport) - transport granted

I have never been so happy to see horse transports become available this game!

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26 - *
PzAbt 4 - FT-17 - * - Tank Killer
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 3 - AAC-1937
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 75mm Vickers M31 (SdKfz 7) - *
FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33 (Horse Transport)

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - *

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Out in the open lone enemy tanks are just asking to be captured. I use a auxiliary CTV tankette to close the encirclement on the outside to minimize potential counter attack impact.

Final Prestige: 22040 (up 4585)

BT-5 - 110 (+25) - in use
T-26 - 97 (+74!) - in use
Trubia - 68 (+44) - in use
Bilbao - 52 (-5) - in use
UNL-35 - 165 (+42) - in use
AAC-1937 - 86 (+54) - in use
BA-6 - 8 (-1) - in use
37mm M1940 - 44 (+5) - in use
45mm M1932 - 29 (+7) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 26 (+1) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 87 (-3) - in use
20mm M33 - 92 (+10) - in use
76.2mm M31 - 26 (+26) - in use

Overall:

What a haul! Large open fields with the ability to encircle multiple units at once reminded me of Seville and in fact yielded a similarly good result. This scenario allowed me to restock on tanks beyond my wildest imagination and keep my backup numbers high for multiple scenarios to come. That's good since as mentioned in 1939 I will have little access to this type of vehicles, so they will have to last until I manage to get more French and Polish ones. I'm also happy about getting access to 76.2mm M31 AA guns - if my calculations are correct in Brunette I can finally part with normal German equipment this way and only use intended type of units.

AO Spanish Civil War - Brunete

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 23359

Hero:

Normally overrun would have been amazing, but with focus on captures, it is not the top type of hero I would be looking for. I will assign him to AufkAbt 3 and use it more against targets I do not want to capture, especially weakened infantry.

New Units Commissioned:

FlaK Abt 3 - 76.2mm M31 (SdKfz 7)

I./JG 1 - I-16

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26 - *
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 3 - AAC-1937 - * - Overrun
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 75mm Vickers M31 (SdKfz 7) - *

Fighter

I./JG 1 - I-16 - *

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Finally all of my main army can use captured or gift units. Hopefully moving forward it will stay this way with maybe just single scenarios when the core is increased significantly.

Summary:

Now that Vega is back with an interesting new unit is is time to focus on capturing it. This is an operation that involves quite a large part of my core force.

Final Prestige: 28029 (up 4670)

FT-17 - 17 (-4) - in use
BT-5 - 99 (-11) - in use
T-26 - 168 (+71) - in use
Trubia - 73 (+5) - in use
OT-133 - 28 (+28)
Bilbao - 38 (-14) - in use
UNL-35 - 175 (+10) - in use
AAC-1937 - 103 (+17) - in use
BA-6 - 4 (-4) - in use
37mm M1940 - 55 (+11) - in use
45mm M1932 - 23 (-6) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 51 (+25) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 83 (-4) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 21 (+13) - in use
122mm M10/30 - 65 (+18) - in use
20mm M33 - 105 (+13) - in use
76.2mm M31 - 22 (-4) - in use
I-16 - 14 (-1) - in use

Overall:

Once again the captures were quite spectacular, but at the same time I think I was a bit too focused on them and captured the last victory hex on the second last turn. That was a bit too close, I for sure should have prioritized speed more to avoid such a delay. Operation "Capture Vega" took three entire turns to set up as well which dis not help. In the end the final result is what counts and I see that that things are really going in the right direction an multiple fronts. My T-26 supply is huge and some more artillery also help. Unfortunately BA-6 is reaching a point at which it might need to go to reserve for some time. Bilbao and FT-17 are also running low, but these will be replaced in 1939 as soon as possible, so I just hope their stock will last me for the duration of SCW. I-16 fighters took minimal damage as I kept them away from heavy fighting and only engaged significantly weakened 1-2 strength planes to prevent them from retreating back to the airfields.

AO Spanish Civil War - Zaragoza

Starting Prestige (after purchases, replacements and CP conversion event): 14254

Hero:

Joining FlaK Abt 1 and providing useful prestige per turn. Capturing is of course my main source of prestige overall, but in more bloody scenarios those little bits help as well.

New Units Commissioned:

PzAbt 6 - OT-133

PzAbt 6 - OT-133

A dedicated flame tank unit, for now will use OT-133, but we shall see what the future brings. With enough captured equipment I won't have to deploy it in each mission, as the supply is low and will not allow to restock for a very long time I'm sure.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26 - *
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2 - *
PzAbt 6 - OT-133

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 75mm Vickers M31 (SdKfz 7) - * - Legendary

Fighter

I./JG 1 - I-16 - *

Reserve

AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - *
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Republican planes continue to be a major nuisance. There's never enough AA guns pointing towards the sky to fully take care of the pesky flying objects.

Final Prestige: 14395 (up 141)

FT-17 - 13 (-4) - in use
BT-5 - 89 (-10) - in use
T-26 - 180 (+12) - in use
Trubia - 82 (+9) - in use
Bilbao - 36 (-2) - in use
UNL-35 - 169 (-6) - in use
AAC-1937 - 92 (-9) - in use
BA-6 - 34 (+30) - in use
37mm M1940 - 39 (-16) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 67 (+16) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 80 (-3) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 19 (-2) - in use
122mm M10/30 - 61 (-4) - in use
20mm M33 - 106 (+1) - in use
75mm Vickers M1931 - 16 (-2) - in use

Overall:

Very intense fighting resulted in various losses among my units, but I at least managed to restock on BA-6 cars. BT-5 tanks thin armor is becoming an increasingly important issue in need to somehow overcome, else the supply will not last long. Panzerjäger Abt 2 was unlucky and got hit hard a few times, hence more losses than usual. My artillery pieces also got hit on a few occasions, mostly by opposing planes, but what counts is that 203mm M1931 guns continue to be perfectly safe.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Teruel

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 15431

Hero:

Zero Slots hero is great, but he also means I won't be able to sill my full army slots with just captured equipment. Time for Luftwaffe to come back with their old machines. The hero of course joins Artillerie Abt 1, the most slot costly unit.

New Units Commissioned:

PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIA
Artillerie Abt 6 - 75mm Schneider M06 (Horse Transport)

Panzer IIA is going to be critical - like the Verdeja 2, it's one of the very few units that can attempt risky maneuvers and bait enemies into attacking them, instead of more valuable forces that have limited equipment.

With more slots to spare and a decent number of 75mm Schneider M06 artillery I decide to use them in this mission.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26 - *
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2 - *
PzAbt 6 - OT-133
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIA - to join during the mission

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - *

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 203mm M1931 (SdKfz 7) - * - Zero Slots
Artillerie Abt 5 - 70mm Schneider M08 (Horse Transport) - * - Skilled Support

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - I-16 - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Reserve

II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Despite my attempts to capture as much as possible in this scenario, my valuable allies once again sabotage my efforts. Thankfully my recon cars can keep up with cavalry and snatch some of the artillery pieces that were based on the hills.

Final Prestige: 15552 (up 121)

FT-17 - 12 (-1) - in use
BT-5 - 78 (-9) - in use
T-26 - 216 (+36) - in use
Trubia - 79 (-3) - in use
Bilbao - 35 (-1) - in use
UNL-35 - 164 (-5) - in use
AAC-1937 - 99 (+7) - in use
BA-6 - 29 (-5) - in use
37mm M1940 - 49 (+10) - in use
45mm M1932 - 31 (+8) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 91 (+24) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 90 (+10) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 29 (+10) - in use
122mm M10/30 - 68 (+7) - in use
20mm M33 - 105 (-1) - in use
75mm Vickers M1931 - 15 (-1) - in use
76.2mm M31 - 19 (-3) - in use

Overall:

Zero Slots hero proved to be a blessing and a curse at the same time. I have a feeling that in some of the larger scenarios I will struggle to supply enough equipment to all available units, at least until some point in 1939. Those FT-17 tanks might end up serving me longer than I initially expected. The thing is that most captured equipment is rather slot cheap itself, so there's a lot to be used as the core slots limit grows.

AO Spanish Civil War - Aragon Offensive

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 16815

Hero:

Not what I was hoping for. This hero can join II./JG 1 for the Avenger/Prudent combo, but the very idea of my units being better if I loose precious equipment is not too helpful on this particular run.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26 - * - Steamroller
PzAbt 2 - BT-5 - ** - Double Move
PzAbt 3 - Trubia - ** - Butcher, Survivor
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2 - *
PzAbt 6 - OT-133
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 3 - AAC-1937 - ** - Overrun
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - *

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - I-16 - *
II./JG 1 - He 51 - * - Avenger, Prudent

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Multiple units supporting each other keep the enemy at bay while the army slowly moves East, capturing any valuable targets as it goes.

Final Prestige: 19517 (up 2702)

BT-5 - 95 (+17) - in use
T-26 - 257 (+41) - in use
Trubia - 73 (-6) - in use
UNL-35 - 173 (+9) - in use
AAC-1937 - 87 (-12) - in use
BA-6 - 45 (+16) - in use
37mm M1940 - 31 (-18) - in use
45mm M1932 - 44 (+13) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 108 (+17) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 89 (-1) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 40 (+11) - in use
75mm Schneider M06 - 10 (+10) - in use
20mm M33 - 117 (+12) - in use
76.2mm M31 - 18 (-1) - in use

Overall:

As the name suggest, Aragon Offensive was a quick paced scenario and the open terrain as in previous such cases gave good opportunities for tank captures. A few other trophies were added to the pool and only Panzerjäger Abt 2 came out of this with significant losses. That was some bad luck and forgetfulness on my part - there was an infantry unit lurking in the mountains left with 1 strength and it slipped my mind, returning later to attack my forces from behind. While I will probably never have to worry about prestige in this run, it's moments like this when valuable hardware gets obliterated make most of the difficulty. With so many units to command it's easy to just forget about one, regretting it later.

AO Spanish Civil War - Battle of the Ebro

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 19532

Hero:

Just at the start of Ebro I am fittingly granted a hero for river combat. The idea I set up is to assign him to PzAbt 5, since I am almost 100% sure I will never get to upgrade the Verdeja 2, so later in the war, where it becomes less fit for critical combat duty, it can become a bridge engineering support unit. If I ever get a Bridging Unit hero (assuming it's possible of course), I'd assign him here as well for sure.

New Units Commissioned:

Artillerie Abt 7 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 4 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 5 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 6 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)

With more core slots than I could ever fill in with captured equipment in this huge scenario, I request AA and artillery support for my army. This will of course switch to captured units as soon as possible, but for now there are gaps to fill with more standard type of forces.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26 - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 2 - BT-5 - ** - Double Move
PzAbt 3 - Trubia - ** - Butcher, Survivor, Steamroller
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2 - * - River Assault
PzAbt 6 - OT-133
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - *

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 105mm Vickers M22 (Horse Transport) - **

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33 (Horse Transport) - *

Fighter

I./JG 1 - I-16 - * - Adolf Galland

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

The fighting is really intense. Armies clash in the open on the other side of Ebro in the attempt from my forces to encircle the artillery bringing down fire on my troops on the western bank and several waves of Republican forces appearing from the same camp several times in a row.

Final Prestige: 27477 (up 7945)

BT-5 - 78 (+17) - in use
T-26 - 352 (+95!) - in use
Trubia - 101 (+28) - in use
OT-133 - 17 (-1) - in use
Bilbao - 59 (+24) - in use
UNL-35 - 181 (+8) - in use
AAC-1937 - 116 (+29) - in use
BA-6 - 44 (-1) - in use
37mm M1940 - 26 (-5) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 147 (+39) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 101 (+12) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 87 (+47) - in use
122mm M10/30 - 113 (+45) - in use
75mm Schneider M06 - 19 (+9) - in use
20mm M33 - 123 (+6) - in use
75mm Vickers M1931 - 13 (-2) - in use
76.2mm M31 - 30 (+12) - in use

Overall:

The scale an intense nature of Ebro really showed this time. First of all, the extra AA guns were absolutely critical, as even with assistance from CTV fighters my ability to stop I-15's and I-16's from picking vulnerable targets was limited. The insane gain, bot in prestige as well as T-26 or artillery stores can be also misleading, since my troops suffered quite the losses. I was constantly capturing more forces, but suffered casualties at the same time and needles to say, Trophies of War trait was absolutely necessary here to avoid getting into a bad downwards trend. BT-5 especially took a BT-ing (pun intended), as basically all Republican troops wen out of their way to prioritize these tanks as targets. FT-17 was the silent hero of the battle - it held the western most river crossing alongside a singe AT gun and infantry unit from much stronger opposition and did not have a single machine knocked out. In the end, once the dust settled, the fighting resulted in massive supply profits that I appreciate as I start to see the end of SCW campaign and will soon move to scenarios where I will of course be able to get newer, better stuff, but a the same time will still have to rely on earlier captures.
Last edited by Tassadar on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterTFD

Post by WalterTFD »

River hero showed up at the right moment there!
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Doing some extra time on this run due to holidays. :D

AO Spanish Civil War - Catalonia

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 28416

Hero:

Easy choice for my second heaviest artillery piece, the trusty Artillerie Abt 4 and its 152mm M10/30. With good hill positioning I might be able to provide much needed cover beyond enemy artillery range.

New Units Commisioned:

AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221
Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 3.7 cm Pak 36 (Horse Transport)
Panzerjäger Abt 4 - 3.7 cm Pak 36 (Horse Transport)

Extra temporary reinforcements assigned from Germany due to temporary lack of enough captured ground equipment. These units will receive upgrades (or "upgrades" if what I can use ends up being inferior) as soon as possible as per the usual approach and for now are just here to close the holes in the core slot allowance.

Tank

PzAbt 2 - BT-5 - ** - Double Move, Steamroller, Survivor
PzAbt 3 - Trubia - ** - Butcher, Steamroller, Survivor
PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2 - ** - River Assault
PzAbt 6 - OT-133 - *
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **
AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 45mm M1932 (Horse Transport) - *
Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 3.7 cm Pak 36 (Horse Transport)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 203mm M1931 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Zero Slots
Artillerie Abt 2 - 105mm Vickers M22 (Horse Transport) - **
Artillerie Abt 3 - 122mm M10/30 (Horse Transport) - **
Artillerie Abt 4 - 152mm M10/30 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Counter Battery Fire
Artillerie Abt 5 - 70mm Schneider M08 (Horse Transport) - ** - Skilled Support

Anti-Aircraft

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

A quick winter trip towards the Pyrenees to "borrow" a few guns from the French army.

Final Prestige: 30744 (up 2328)

T-26 - 360 (+8) - in use
Trubia - 98 (-3) - in use
Bilbao - 48 (-11) - in use
UNL-35 - 178 (-3) - in use
AAC-1937 - 115 (-1) - in use
BA-6 - 54 (+10) - in use
37mm M1940 - 39 (+13) - in use
45mm M1932 - 23 (-19) - in use
47mm SA 37 - 26 (+26)
37mm mle 30 - 14 (+14)
75mm mle 39 - 16 (+16)

Overall:

This is the first time I've decided to disturb the forces by the French border and get some of their guns, and it ended with a positive result. I've spotted several AT guns and two different AA pieces, but had to ignore one of the possible targets (47mm SA 37) that was placed closest to the edge, behind some major fortifications. There was simply not enough time to take down all the forts by the end of the scenario, even with combined efforts from all my heavy artillery and stretching it all until the turn limit. Otherwise the mission was a great success allowing me to now to again upgrade some of the recently enlisted units with something different again. The quartermaster of such a force must be slowly going insane...

Oh, and let's ignore the fact my Panzerjäger Abt 1 almost got destroyed. Twice. Snowstorms can be tricky!

AO Spanish Civil War - Madrid 1939

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 32033

Hero:

Last SCW hero joins Artillerie Abt 3. Not the most useful additions as captures keep me going quite well, but I enjoy every small detail that gives me an edge.

New Units Commisioned:

Artillerie Abt 8 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)

With still not enough captured equipment to fill all slots I add another artillery piece with the intention to assign French spoils of war as soon as possible once AO 1939 starts.

Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 47mm SA 37 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 4 - 37mm mle 30 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 5 - 75mm mle 39 (SdKfz 7)

Newly acquired French guns immediately earn their place in the core force, increasing overall firepower.

Tank

PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2 - ** - River Assault
PzAbt 6 - OT-133 - *
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 37mm M1930 (Horse Transport) - *

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 105mm Vickers M22 (Horse Transport) - ** - Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 3 - 122mm M10/30 (Horse Transport) - ** - Famous
Artillerie Abt 4 - 152mm M10/30 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Counter Battery Fire, Skilled Support

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Reserve

AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Isolated communist tanks and recon cars are an immediate primary focus for capturing.

First of the Republican Matilda I tanks gets surrounded by my forces and is a an easy target overall.

Recon plane discovers the other Matilda I unit - 4 star overstrengthened Colonel Segismundo Casado, who's in deep trouble, unlikely to survive.

Final Prestige: 40089 (up 8056)

BT-5 - 126 (+48) - in use
T-26 - 415 (+55) - in use
Trubia - 132 (+34) - in use
Matilda I - 38 (+38)
Bilbao - 47 (-1) - in use
UNL-35 - 224 (+46) - in use
AAC-1937 - 133 (+18) - in use
BA-6 - 111 (+57) - in use
37mm M1940 - 55 (+16) - in use
45mm M1932 - 58 (+35) - in use
70mm Schneider M08 - 125 (+24) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 119 (+32) - in use
75mm Schneider M06 - 45 (+26)
20mm M33 - 143 (+20)
76.2mm M31 - 82 (+52)

Overall:

Anther case of huge gains this time due to more knowledge of the map and key points needed to complete a huge encirclement. Direct access to infantry forces also helped a lot, since in city terrain their assistance is always invaluable and I was finally able to command my allies exactly where I needed them. This allowed for very efficient capture situations and some final additions to the army. While T-26 or Soviet artillery might still appear in 1941, some units such as the Trubia will be impossible to resupply after this. As for Colonel Segismundo Casado, he surprisingly survived by the time I reached the western edge of the map. Looks like due to heavy armor of the Matilda I, communist forces focused on weaker targets and did not finish him off. He then escaped northwest and got surrounded by my army, providing more Matilda I supply - enough to easily field one unit if I want or need to.

AO Spanish Civil War - Summary

Starting Prestige: 1130
Final Prestige: 40089 (up 38959)

There's no denying that Trophies of War is the single best prestige source. However, this run is all about very different objectives, so I find this reserve really enjoyable and refreshing. Not having to worry about it allows me to focus on what's the core of the whole fun, that is building a crazy mixed captured force.

Final Army Composition:

Tank

PzAbt 5 - Verdeja 2 - ** - River Assault, Steamroller
PzAbt 6 - OT-133 - *
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIA - *

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **
AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 37mm M1930 (Horse Transport) - *

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 105mm Vickers M22 (Horse Transport) - ** - Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 4 - 152mm M10/30 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Counter Battery Fire, Skilled Support

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - I-16 - ** - Adolf Galland

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Trophies of War:

Tank:
FT-17 - 22
BT-5 - 136
T-26 - 425
Trubia - 142
OT-133 - 27
Matilda I - 38

Recon:
Bilbao - 57
UNL-35 - 234
AAC-1937 - 143
BA-6 - 121

Anti-Tank:
37mm M1930 - 65
45mm M1932 - 68
47mm SA 37 - 26

Artillery:
105mm Vickers M22 - 157
70mm Schneider M08 - 135
203mm M1931 - 29
152mm M10/30 - 129
122mm M10/30 - 123
75mm Schneider M06 - 55

Anti-Aircraft:
20mm M33 - 153
75mm Vickers M1931 - 23
76.2mm M31 - 92
37mm mle 30 - 14
75mm mle 39 - 16

Fighter:
I-16 - 44

Thoughts:

It was a very refreshing challenge and I will look forward to AO 1939 an the increased pool I can use. So far I could rely on CTV and also Nationalist allies to add the needed infantry support, but this no longer can be the case. I wonder if I am able to complete AO 1939 with just Azul Infanterie? With Trophies of war I've built a solid supply and was able to employ rare units as well, so my core will continue becoming more and more bizarre as time goes by. Can't wait to see what more can be added and make this even more wild. I am especially interested in a larger air force, since the single I-16 is lonely and would like some company in the skies.

AO 1939 - Czechoslovakia

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 43174

Hero:

AO 1939 starts with a valuable hero for this run. Normally marginal, this time it's someone who can help keep units operational despite no longer being able to add replacements. PzAbt 6 and OT-133 tanks it has seem to be the hardest to come by in the future, so I assign the hero there.

New Units Commisioned:

I./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch
Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz)

I get a single recon plane, for now to put in reserve and use in the future for triggering Bzura and Warsaw event. Since I'm not sure if it's needed, I prefer not to miss that opportunity if it for some reason is needed later. I also get my first and for now only infantry unit.

New Equipment Provided:

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 45mm M1932 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 37mm M1930 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded
Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 47mm SA 37 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
Panzerjäger Abt 4 - 3.7 cm Pak 36 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded
Artillerie Abt 2 - 105mm Vickers M22 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
Artillerie Abt 5 - 70mm Schneider M08 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded
Artillerie Abt 6 - 75mm Schneider M06 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded
Artillerie Abt 7 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
Artillerie Abt 8 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded
FlaK Abt 4 - 37mm mle 30 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
FlaK Abt 6 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded

Major half-track upgrades to transports where possible add up, but will greatly help mobility and allow my artillery keep up with tank columns in the open better.

Infantry

Tank

PzAbt 6 - OT-133 - *
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIA - *

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 45mm M1932 (SdKfz 11) - *
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 37mm M1930 (SdKfz 10) - *
Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 47mm SA 37 (SdKfz 11)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 105mm Vickers M22 (SdKfz 11) - ** - Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 5 - 70mm Schneider M08 (SdKfz 10) - ** - Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 6 - 75mm Schneider M06 (SdKfz 10)

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - 20mm M33 (SdKfz 10) - *

Reserve

AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221
Panzerjäger Abt 4 - 3.7 cm Pak 36 (SdKfz 10)
Artillerie Abt 7 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11)
Artillerie Abt 8 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11)
FlaK Abt 4 - 37mm mle 30 (SdKfz 11)
FlaK Abt 6 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (SdKfz 10)
I./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

This time I do not just automatically take the bridges, I rather stay away and let the opponents come to me. This allows for significantly smaller losses, just a shame it took me two runs to figure it out...

Final Prestige: 44588 (up 1414)

FT-17 - 11 (-1) - in use
T-26 - 413 (-2) - in use
UNL-35 - 223 (-1) - in use

Basically no losses taken to the units with limited stock - artillery support made the enemy unwilling to attack while PzAbt 5 and PzAbt 7 took the hits for the team knowing they do not have limited supply and can bait the Czechoslovakian forces into being primary targets.

Overall:

Part of me was tempted to try and capture Czechoslovakian units, but I would then me denied a very useful hero and besides there is literally no option to resupply on them later. Due to this limitation I did not try to get anything and just focused on completing the scenario with maximum results. I think I will use the same approach in the future as well, prioritizing actual objectives over small gains in extra weapon possibility. That's however the only excuse aside from maybe returning nemesis heroes that I'd allow to grow and come back with something better like in the case of Vega.
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

Nice to see the skirmish with the French go well, as well as the capture of the Matildas.

Also, wasn't the Panzer IIC available in Czechoslovakia? I thought you mentioned allowing the upgrade of German Gift Units as long as it followed the same lineage? Oh, wait, Retrograde is on. That probably explains it.

Yeah, the Czech 35 and 38s are pretty good tanks, but several French Tanks are better and the Polish 7TPs (the single turret ones, forgot the exact designation) have identical stats as I recall. Not even mentioning the fact that Verdeja, T-26, and BT-5 you carried over are also on par or better I'd say, as is the Panzer IIC (not sure about the A model) and the OT-133 is a flame tank doing its own thing.
Also, they would have had some wierd technicalities that could be argued do to the German versions being available to purchase (eventually) anyway.
...Now that I think of it, the only other thing I remember them having was a Recon unit, and now I'm curious as to how it stacks up to what you have, as well as the French Panhard (best Recon of 1939 as far as I know). Not that it matters at this point though.

Also, big oof regarding the Infantry situation. I thought you had decided on one of the other options, like only buying Wehr Infantry, the German personnel justification, or Auxiliary Force Infantry, not going full hilt on Captured/Gift only. Warsaw is going to be very, very interesting. At least the OT-133 and Trubia can help somewhat there, especially if you can get a Vigilant Hero or 2.
But you stuck to your guns and I can respect that.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Stormchaser wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:35 pm Also, wasn't the Panzer IIC available in Czechoslovakia? I thought you mentioned allowing the upgrade of German Gift Units as long as it followed the same lineage? Oh, wait, Retrograde is on. That probably explains it.
Correct, Retrograde delays it by a single scenario and it will come in in Sarreguemines as in the Retrograde run.
Stormchaser wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:35 pm Also, big oof regarding the Infantry situation. I thought you had decided on one of the other options, like only buying Wehr Infantry, the German personnel justification, or Auxiliary Force Infantry, not going full hilt on Captured/Gift only. Warsaw is going to be very, very interesting. At least the OT-133 and Trubia can help somewhat there, especially if you can get a Vigilant Hero or 2.
But you stuck to your guns and I can respect that.
I might end up buying them later, but only if I fail a scenario or an objective on the first attempt and don't see hope in succeeding on the second try without them. Same for more planes. In SCW I had to make some compromise to fill in the core slots, especially after getting the Zero Slots hero, but with luck I should now be able to only use what I capture.
Last edited by Tassadar on Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Sarreguemines

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 46512

Hero:

Stefan Richter will be perfect for PzAbt 2 given BT-5 tanks extra speed. Of course it's is not an universal bonus and without Master of Blitzkrieg it is not as effective, but the hope is it will help reduce losses to the unit in huge battles, as it was proven time and time again that AI just loves focusing on BT-5 tanks due to their thin armor.

New Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIC

Small upgrade to the only German gift unit that's in use for now. As they do the heavy lifting in terms of provoking attacks, the added toughness will be handy.

Infantry

Tank

PzAbt 1 - T-26 - ** - Steamroller, Albert Kerscher
PzAbt 2 - BT-5 - ** - Double Move, Superior Maneuver, Steamroller, Survivor
PzAbt 6 - OT-133 - * - Field Repairs
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIC - *

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Bilbao - **
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 5 - 70mm Schneider M08 (SdKfz 10) - ** - Skilled Support

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Reserve

AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221
Artillerie Abt 7 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11)
Artillerie Abt 8 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11)
FlaK Abt 6 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (SdKfz 10)
I./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Very first combat encounter with the French presents fresh capture options. Interesting new recons, tanks and artillery are not yet plentiful, but provide much needed variance.

Final Prestige: 52312 (up 5800)

BT-5 - 125 (-1) - in use
T-26 - 412 (-1) - in use
Trubia - 130 (-2) - in use
UNL-35 - 223 (-1) - in use
AMC 35 - 14 (+14)
Char B1 - 5 (+5)
Hotchkiss H35 - 22 (+22)
Renault R35 - 20 (+20)
AMC P16 - 16 (+16)
Panhard 178 - 18 (+18)
47mm SA 37 - 32 (+16) - in use
25mm SA 34 - 8 (+8)
37mm mle 30 - 16 (+12)
75mm mle 39 - 22 (+16) - in use
25mm CA mle 39 - 20 (+20)

Overall:

Since initial encounter with the French army was limited to small, isolated pockets of resistance, it was rather easy to set up advantageous situations to get a hold of whatever they used with minimal losses. As usual, PzAbt 5 and PzAbt 7 come in first and take the hits for the team, but with Field Repairs I found that I can afford to also use PzAbt 6 like this as well, since worst case scenario it can then just wait a few turns to fix any damage dealt, while still moving towards the next target. AA fire quickly dealt with any French fighters and bombers easily while on the ground large open terrain favored slow and careful unit setup, not risking any nasty surprises and not yet needing more infantry. With all of this combined I managed to secure every significant equipment on the map.

AO 1939 - Warndt Forest

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 54188

Hero:

With this new hero I expect to further improve the combat capabilities of PzAbt 6 versus infantry and help find a workaround in light of no infantry of my own.

PzAbt 4 - Hotchkiss H35
AufkAbt 1 - Panhard 178
Artillerie Abt 5 - 155mm C mle 1917 (SdKfz 7)
Artillerie Abt 7 - 70mm Schneider M08 (SdKfz 10)
Artillerie Abt 8 - 75mm mle 1897 (SdKfz 10)
FlaK Abt 6 - 25mm CA mle 39 (SdKfz 10)

Several important upgrades. PzAbt 4 receives a faster, tougher tanks that is an important improvement over the earlier FT-17. AufkAbt 1 can finally say goodbye to the Bilbao cars in favor of the best recon vehicle in 1939 and some artillery and AA units switch to French equipment to stay within the rules of the run. It's hard to call all of these actual upgrades since their stats are lower, but that's as expected at this stage of the campaign.

Infantry

Tank

PzAbt 4 - Hotchkiss H35 - * - Tank Killer
PzAbt 6 - OT-133 - * - Butcher, Field Repairs
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIC - *

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Panhard 178 - **
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 5 - 155mm C mle 1917 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 7 - 70mm Schneider M08 (SdKfz 10)

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Reserve

AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221
I./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

A wild Char B1 appears! Time to prepare the Pokeball.

Final Prestige: 57901 (3713)

BT-5 - 118 (-7) - in use
T-26 - 405 (-7) - in use
Trubia - 125 (-5) - in use
Char B1 - 26 (+21)
Hotchkiss H35 - 20 (+8) - in use
Renault R35 - 44 (+24)
Somua S35 - 14 (+14)
UNL-35 - 216 (-7) - in use
AAC-1937 - 128 (-5) - in use
BA-6 - 104 (-7) - in use
Panhard 178 - 51 (+43) - in use
47mm SA 37 - 44 (+12) - in use
25mm SA 34 - 20 (+12)
20mm M33 - 137 (-6) - in use
37mm mle 30 - 15 (-1) - in use
75mm mle 39 - 20 (+8) - in use
25mm CA mle 39 - +21 (+11) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 145 (-2) - in use
152mm M10/30 - 117 (-2) - in use
75mm Schneider M06 - 42 (-3) - in use
155mm C mle 1917 - 17 (+15) - in use
75mm mle 1897 - 20 (+8) - in use
105mm mle 1913 - 20 (+20)

Overall:

Apparently Wanrdt Forest is perfectly doable with mostly just tanks and artillery. To do achieve this, I have set up things slightly differently than usual. The western flank consisted of Infanterie Reg 1 (span.), PzAbt 5, PzAbt 7 and some heavy artillery. This way it could progress as usual, not worry about potential losses and set up a solid defensive formation near the village southwest by the time the French counter attack happens. The group pushing through the center was mostly light artillery and some tanks, slowly progressing and provoking the enemy to leave defensive positions and attack them instead which caused them to run into support fire this way. The most important role was assigned to the Eastern part of the force, consisting of fastest tanks and remaining heavy artillery that was supposed to attack St. Avold. From previous runs I knew it would be doable, just required a larger concentration of units to cover my flank and also apply enough pressure. This proved effective, as French infantry abandoned their fortified positions to attack BT-5 tanks and Panhard 178 recons, got bombarded by my artillery and suppressed significantly on defense and then overrun the next turns quite easily. The appearance of a Char B1 made things more complicated, but by that time I had more forces around the location as was able to surround it before it had a chance to inflict major losses. As usual, the timer proved very tight and I was dealing with French reinforcements until the very end.

AO 1939 - Orenthal

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 59520

Hero:

With Fast Deployment Artillerie Abt 1 will be able to basically always reach the intended target and be insanely mobile. I could make a point for assigning this hero to infantry, but with Oleh Dir Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) will be able to cross 5 hexes by foot, so that is not as impactful anymore and also that's going to be my only infantry unit for quite a while.

New Units Comissioned:

PzAbt 9 - Char B1 (not named PzAbt 8, because... the Char B1 looks bad in camouflage that PzAbt 8 would use, so I decide to use that name for a later unit)

PzAbt 9 - Char B1

Unexpected appearance of a Char B1 in the previous scenario and being able to capture it presents me with an opportunity to use this tank already. I assign it to a brand new battalion, as the other ones still have feasible tanks with lots of supply, so I prefer not to change things too much and have that increased variable force for as long as supplies last.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - *

Tank

PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIC - *
PzAbt 9 - Char B1

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Panhard 178 - ***
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 203mm M1931 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Fast Deployment, Zero Slots
Artillerie Abt 7 - 70mm Schneider M08 (SdKfz 10) - *

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Reserve

AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221
I./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

As my forces progress south, a lone French cavalry unit attacks Gersheim from behind through fog of war! It apparently retreated after taking losses against forts and tried to find another way around. Luckily I had some of my forces returning to aid the siege of Orenthal which prevented an unexpected loss of FlaK Abt 2 than happened to secure that passage.

Final Prestige: 64146 (up 4626)

BT-5 - 117 (-1) - in use
T-26 - 402 (-3) - in use
Trubia - 122 (-3) - in use
AMC 35 - 32 (+18)
Char B1 - 28 (+12) - in use
Hotchkiss H35 - 36 (+16) - in use
Renault R35 - 50 (+6)
Somua S35 - 28 (+14)
UNL-35 - 216 (-1) - in use
AAC-1937 - 122 (-6) - in use
BA-6 - 97 (-7) - in use
AMC P16 - 44 (+28)
Panhard 178 - 80 (+29) - in use
47mm SA 37 - 56 (+12) - in use
25mm SA 34 - 68 (+48)
20mm M33 - 133 (-4) - in use
75mm mle 39 - 48 (+18) - in use
75mm Schneider M06 - 40 (-2) - in use
155mm C mle 1917 - 29 (+12) - in use
75mm mle 1897 - 26 (+6) - in use
105mm mle 1913 - 26 (+6)

Overall:

To continue with the "reduce losses" approach, all of the heaviest artillery units, Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) and tanks with unlimited supply stayed around Orenthal to besiege it, while the lighter force pushed to capture other objectives to the West. Early access to Char B1 was really useful as this tank could travel south of Orenthal and help close the encirclement, dealing with any opposing infantry and tanks with no losses at all. It is really almost impossible to put a dent in this beast especially if it is supported by AT and artillery fire as well. This made the French reinforcements that lurk beside the town fall much quicker than it usually happens and in turn allowed me to close all space around town rather quickly. When the defenders got cut off supplies Deadly Grasp trait kicked inn and made finishing them off a matter of just several turns. Without that formidable tanks unit this would for sure take much more time to accomplish and be significantly more costly, so luck was certainly on my side in Warndt.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Forbach

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 64146

Volunteers only, no core army is deployed.

Reserve

Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - *
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIC - *
PzAbt 9 - Char B1
AufkAbt 2 - UNL-35 - *** - Shock Tactics
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **
AufkAbt 5 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 6 - SdKfz 221
Artillerie Abt 6 - 75mm Schneider M06 (SdKfz 10) - *
I./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

This time the red army clearly wins against the blue one and there is a specific reason behind it.

Final Prestige: 64962 (up 816)

Hotchkiss H35 - 44 (+8) - in use

Overall:

An unexpected situation occurs. Despite the blue army being lured to fight against the red army, two infantry units and a Hotchkiss H35 move north all the way and ignore the ambush setup, engaging my forces towards Spicheren. With such a limited force they are quickly encircled and disposed of, but this event surprisingly lets me capture a few of the tanks, something I was not able to do ever before. It also means the blue army has three units less down south and is not able to repel the red army.

AO 1939 - Saarbrucken

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 66619

Hero:

A strong hero appears and such all existing units would like him assigned. Considering I lack infantry in this run, I add the hero to PzAbt 3, which already has bonuses to fighting against enemy infantry and further enhance the close combat tank unit.

New Units Commissioned:

PzAbt 8 - AMC 35
PzAbt 10 - Matilda I
PzAbt 11 - Renault R35
PzAbt 12 - FT-17
Artillerie Abt 9 - 105mm mle 1913 (SdKfz 11)

PzAbt 8 - AMC 35
PzAbt 10 - Matilda I
PzAbt 11 - Renault R35
PzAbt 12 - FT-17
AufkAbt 5 - AMC P16
AufkAbt 6 - Bilbao

Rules of the run result in a absolutely hilarious situation combined with Zero Slots on Artillerie Abt 1. I have so much core slots to use that I have to update the army with absolutely everything I can, no excuses. This means FT-17 tanks, Bilbao recon cars and other gems come back. Renault R35 and Matilda I also make an appearance with some other additions, all of this resulting in twelve individual tank units and one more counting the extra Somua S35 that arrives later!

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - * - Oleh Dir

Tank

PzAbt 3 - Trubia - ** - Butcher, No Retaliation, Steamroller, Survivor
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIC - *
PzAbt 8 - AMC 35
PzAbt 9 - Char B1
PzAbt 10 - Matilda I
PzAbt 11 - Renault R35
PzAbt 12 - FT-17
PzAbt 13 - Somua S35 - to join during the mission

Recon

AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - **
AufkAbt 5 - AMC P16
AufkAbt 6 - Bilbao

Anti-Tank

Anti-Aircraft

Artillery

Fighter

Reserve

I./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch
I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Summary:

Win some, loose some. Tank combat south of Halberg results in some losses to my units due to the nature of open terrain, but at the same time I secure more French machines that should serve me well, especially considering the sudden increase in available core slots. I try to focus on better vehicles such as Char B1 on the screen, but end up also getting some obsolete tanks that while still in use now, I really hope to phase out forever at one point.

Final Prestige: 71583 (up 4964)

FT-17 - 47 (+36) - in use
BT-5 - 110 (-7) - in use
T-26 - 399 (-3) - in use
Trubia - 117 (-5) - in use
AMC 35 - 34 (+12) - in use
Char B1 - 52 (+24) - in use
Hotchkiss H35 - 62 (+18) - in use
Renault R35 - 60 (+10) - in use
Somua S35 - 69 (+51) - in use
Bilbao - 46 (-1) - in use
UNL-35 - 203 (-12) - in use
AAC-1937 - 121 (-1) - in use
BA-6 - 88 (-7) - in use
Panhard 178 - 97 (+17) - in use
45mm M1932 - 56 (-2) - in use
47mm SA 37 - 55 (-1) - in use
25mm SA 34 - 66 (+8) - in use
105mm Vickers M22 - 140 (-5) - in use
75mm mle 1897 - 36 (+10) - in use
25mm CA mle 39 19 (-2) - in use
I-16 - 41 (-3) - in use

Overall:

With Saarbrucken being a major defensive scenario I was concerned about positioning my forces in close terrain. Ultimately PzAbt 5 and PzAbt 7 took positions in Saarbrucken itself behind double artillery support to suppress attacking infantry and in the case of issues, not worry about losses too much. Gersweiler crossing was blocked by Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) and PzAbt 11, as I considered these tanks to be mostly expandable while still offering solid defense versus opposing tanks or recons (both units here also sat behind heavy artillery support fire). This ended up a success as the infantry units attacking these positions were unable to force any of my forces to retreat - artillery support suppression was simply too strong for the attackers to be able to cause any significant damage. Meanwhile my more mobile forces south of Halberg focused on capturing a lot of units in the open. A thing to note that this time I-16 fighters did not manage to avoid losses, as they had to operate between many, many more French fighters and even focusing my AA fire against MS.406 planes did not fully discourage the French from shooting back. The I-16 losses here might be symbolic and in Poland the air force should be much weaker, but moving to 1940 this suggests I will need to find some better solutions, as this is the area where my army is mostly lacking, despite strong positions elsewhere. As time goes by, the demand for strong captured planes will increase for sure.

AO 1939 - Battle of the Bzura

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 74619

Hero:

Another overrun hero, this time ends up in AufkAbt 4. The rules of the run mean I am much less willing to use overrun in general, but being able to more efficiently wipe out infantry and thus focus more firepower on possible captures for sure has its own merits.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - * - Oleh Dir

Tank

PzAbt 3 - Trubia - *** - Butcher, No Retaliation, Steamroller, Survivor
PzAbt 4 - Hotchkiss H35 - ** - Tank Killer
PzAbt 6 - OT-133 - * - Butcher, Field Repairs, Steamroller
PzAbt 7 - Panzer IIC - *
PzAbt 8 - AMC 35
PzAbt 9 - Char B1
PzAbt 10 - Matilda I
PzAbt 11 - Renault R35
PzAbt 12 - FT-17
PzAbt 13 - Somua S35

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - Panhard 178 - *** - Survivor
AufkAbt 3 - AAC-1937 - *** - Overrun
AufkAbt 4 - BA-6 - ** - Overrun
AufkAbt 5 - AMC P16
AufkAbt 6 - Bilbao

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 3 - 76.2mm M31 (SdKfz 7) - *
FlaK Abt 4 - 37mm mle 30 (SdKfz 11) - *
FlaK Abt 5 - 75mm mle 39 (SdKfz 7) - *

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 203mm M1931 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Fast Deployment, Zero Slots, Skilled Support

Fighter

I./JG 1 - I-16 - *** - Adolf Galland

Tactical Bomber

I./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Tactical bomber deployed just in case it is actually really needed to trigger the special message and unlock possible hero in the future.

Summary:

I focus my push around the town of Piatek, since the best Polish tanks are expected to appear there.

Meanwhile the forces near Lowicz are much smaller, mostly trying to cut the Polish army in half and consists of units that can afford to take a beating while outnumbered. PzAbt 7 is hit especially hard a few times, but the men are used to it at this point.

Final Prestige: 82589 (up 7970)

FT-17 - 35 (-12) - in use
T-26 - 392 (-7) - in use
Trubia - 111 (-6) - in use
Hotchkiss H35 - 55 (-7) - in use
Somua S35 - 68 (-1) - in use
7TPdw - 26 (+26)
7TPjw - 46 (+46)
TKS - 24 (+24)
FT-17 (pl) - 8 (+8)
Bilbao - 45 (-1) - in use
UNL-35 - 202 (-1) - in use
BA-6 - 82 (-6) - in use
AMC P16 - 33 (-1) - in use
Panhard 178 - 96 (-1) - in use
SP wz. 29 - 44 (+44)
SP wz. 34 - 26 (+26)
37mm wz. 36 - 46 (+46)
152mm M10/30 - 117 (-1) - in use
75mm wz. 97 - 32 (+32)
105mm wz. 29 - 6 (+6)
75mm mle 39 - 46 (-2) - in use
25mm CA mle 39 - 15 (-4) - in use
40mm wz. 36 - 48 (+48)
75mm wz. 36 - 14 (+14)

Overall:

Huge battles mean huge loot and new Polish captured equipment will for sure come in handy. I am especially looking forward to the really nice 7TP single turret tanks as well as recon cars that can once again put the old man Bilbao back into deep reserve. As for artillery, AA and AT guns, these are basically equivalents of the French ones, even sharing the same models, so I will probably not end up using them unless perhaps I run out of French captures in that regard. I am happy that losses occurred mostly where I have a large pool or where the equipment is expendable. Again knowledge of the map and possible reinforcements directions was very valuable, as it allowed me to form huge traps directly after crossing Bzura near Piatek and isolate the attackers before they could cause too much trouble there. I have to say however that attacking Kutno was not an easy task. The town had to be entirely cut off from the rest of Polish army before I could even attempt to engage. Luckily the defenders remained mostly passive and reinforcements focused their push towards Lowicz rather than trying to thwart my efforts on the Western flank. With just Infanterie Reg 1 (span.) was not an easy task. While my Trubia and OT-133 battalions are deadly on the offense against soft targets, they are not as useful in securing close terrain after them, resulting in the need to do a slow and careful approach. Attempts to push too early could have been disastrous and in fact PzAbt 3 got hit hard once in conditions where I was sure double artillery support can discourage any attack.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 AARs”