What is the Future for OOB?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: What is the Future for OOB?

Post by bebro »

I'm not so much of an expert re Vietnam - but one prob I see is when it would be mostly jungle warfare vs. infantry. IIRC the US deployed lotsa other units, and the North Vietnamese had a more capable army and air force with Soviet stuff, but guerilla warfare in South Vietnam seemed to be the main focus of the conflict?

Except those later US air offensive vs. the North maybe. But on the ground mostly inf warfare in the wilderness could get boring soon.

In this regard Korea seems more interesting to me.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

bebro wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:08 pm I'm not so much of an expert re Vietnam - but one prob I see is when it would be mostly jungle warfare vs. infantry. IIRC the US deployed lotsa other units, and the North Vietnamese had a more capable army and air force with Soviet stuff, but guerilla warfare in South Vietnam seemed to be the main focus of the conflict?

Except those later US air offensive vs. the North maybe. But on the ground mostly inf warfare in the wilderness could get boring soon.

In this regard Korea seems more interesting to me.

This can be varied, for example:
- long-distance jungle patrols by US Army platoons
- Vietcong attacks on the US Army bases
- the bombing of Hanoi by US intruder air units taking off from aircraft carriers at the beginning of the war
- fighting in the Mekong Delta with the use of American river boats and chasers (maybe 1 mission to eliminate Colonel Kurtz in his secret base in Cambodia? :D :D :D 8) )
- at the end of the war it was already a regular war between the army of North and South Vietnam

Vietnam should be a short or medium campaign - 8-10 scenarios maximum, which should have many references to iconic American movies - Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Deer Hunter, Intruder's Last Flight, etc. :wink:
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Tet is mostly urban. the South is guerilla, base control, search and destroy... Air mobility, art support, air support... fast reaction motorized units... the like. It can be a real long campaing. The Trail... Arclight, Rolling Thunder, Linebacker...
Challenge to the scenario editors.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:44 pm Tet is mostly urban. the South is guerilla, base control, search and destroy... Air mobility, art support, air support... fast reaction motorized units... the like. It can be a real long campaing. The Trail... Arclight, Rolling Thunder, Linebacker...
Challenge to the scenario editors.
Would you find so many different scenarios?
Okay, you found 20 different operations, but I think at least 15 will not be too different from each other, chasing Vietcong in the jungle, defending bases, reacting quickly and transferring troops with helicopters... It can be boring... :)
WarHomer

Post by WarHomer »

Moving away from WW2 would be too gamechanging for me, so I hope they stay in this era. Hopefully back to the basic land, air and sea as stated in an earlier post.
smokeitup
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by smokeitup »

Well the game really needs some Allied campaigns. Fighting a losing battle with Polish troops over a few scenarios where it ends with you trying to get as many out as you can through Romania. Fighting as the British or French in Norway for a few scenarios before heading to the Low Countries and France. Another part would entail fighting the Germans in Africa and eventually Sicily and Italy culminating with D-Day and the invasion of Germany itself.

The only thing stopping this is how to transfer unit experience over to new units (ie you wouldn't have the same Polish units fighting in Norway that you did in Poland, but would have the same kind of troops just under a different unit banner such as French or British infantry instead of Polish infantry). I would think this wouldn't be too complicated to do though so the devs. should definitely look into it.
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Celeborn »

Partisans and guerrillas seem to be a blind spot. Would love to see scenarios/campaigns on the '43 Ghetto Uprising in Warsaw and the broader Warsaw uprising the following year. There was also a good bit of nastiness in the Philippines that sometimes featured fugitive US soldiers.
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

For special missions like that we need a third side/neutral ally feature, and a change-alliance trigger. Thus you can activate hostile behaviour or units that change sides. Or becomes hostile if they detect a certain unit only. Neutral side ally is vital, especially if civilians and infiltration is involved.
I came up with these, last time two years ago maybe?
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

I'm also waiting for Japanese Grand Campaign...
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

I'm also waiting for Japanese Grand Campaign...
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

For what it is worth, I have no interest in a Vietnam DLC, and would not buy it. WW2 has not been exhausted yet and shoulder wars like WW1 or the Korean War would be more appropriate.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

For me, there's no future for OoB anymore. The devs have just declared that no more Mac version will be available soon. I'm really pissed off with this
conboy

Post by conboy »

Yeah, I am pissed too. I was going to ditch this windows laptop and get a real nice Mac so I wouldn't have to deal with all the windows interface issues with peripherals.
Really a drag, man.

conboy

w_michael, concur. I would not buy a VietNam DLC. No interest whatsoever.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

A French Viet Nam could be interesting. The French used a lot of WW2 US equipment and I believe such a campaign would not need too much new functionality.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Erik2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am A French Viet Nam could be interesting. The French used a lot of WW2 US equipment and I believe such a campaign would not need too much new functionality.
:arrow: The First Indochina War was called the Indochina War in France and the French War in Vietnam. The Second Indochina War was called the Vietnam War in the West or the American War in Vietnam.
doc99
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by doc99 »

Indeed we have the anaswer!!
Well Done!!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”