Panzer Corps Veteran has questions about OOB

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Panzer Corps Veteran has questions about OOB

Post by Erik2 »

If you upgrade a unit during play, the unit may not move/attack this turn.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Again many thanks! Perfect support here !
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Yesterday I finished my first scenario (except for the training scenarios) in OOB.... :D

I play the sandstorm campaign.

And unfortunately there were a few questions about the gameplay that I don't know.... :oops:

- Are there no resource points in OOB when we capture places and villages?

I went the northern route with a large part of my army in order to conquer all places, believing that it would bring resource points. That then meant that I was almost unable to achieve all of my goals because I almost ran out of laps. But I found that conquering towns does not bring any points.

- I don't understand the artillery system.
If i move them (without transport) i can't shoot, if i fire i can't move them, or how does it work? But if I fire so my infantry can attack and advance, I can't move them and they'll fall too far back. Hence the question: what is the best tactical approach?

- Artillery: Similar to Panzer Corps, the artillery also gives support fire when my units are attacked, right? Does that mean there are for example an AI attack on my infantry, the artillery give support fire and thus weakens the enemy unit before the attack? Or how does it work?

- Do I always have to place the artillery on the adjacent hexes of my units in order to protect my units from an attack (preferably directly behind them, as in Panzer Corps)?

- Why don't my tanks see minefields? Although units are in sight, I move tanks into minefields that suddenly appear, even though they should be in the field of vision of my units. But they cannot be seen.

- An anti-aircraft gun can't move a hex towards the aircraft and then shoot? In order for the flak to attack, it mustn't have moved before, right?

- Isn't it possible to see the stats of enemy units? When I click on an enemy unit with the cursor, the selection is not saved, so I could not used shortcut i.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

You have to forget about many things you know from PzC, because OoB is a different game in terms of gameplay mechanics
Artillery does not support infantry in defense, only AT units
Therefore, artillery does not have to follow the infantry, but AT units should
It is good to have several options, during static (defensive) missions it is better to have heavy towed arty units with greater range, while during offensive scenarios S-P and light artillery will be more effective.

There are also no rewards for captured flags here, if you don't have it in your quest description. The rewards are rather for completing specific tasks, if capturing a point on the map gives you extra resources, this is clearly stated at the beginning. (Objectives Panel)

Tanks can't see minefields before they enter on them, only infantry and recon

AA guns can move and shoot but not too far (towed AA) or even has a long attack range (i.e. AA halftracks)

Basic information about an enemy unit appears when you want to attack it, more information can be found in OoB Navigator Tool
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

I am also open regarding OOB mechanics, I just want to understand them.
Sometimes not that easy after playing Panzer Corps for around 7 years (with interruptions). :wink:
kondi754 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:35 am Artillery does not support infantry in defense, only AT units
Therefore, artillery does not have to follow the infantry, but AT units should
Supports only AT? No Tanks, no Recon, no Infantry? Okay...I currently don't have any AT units in the core, therefore my Artillery don´t have to follow any specific units...This also applies to the AI, I suppose?
kondi754 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:35 am while during offensive scenarios S-P and light artillery will be more effective.
S-P? You mean self-propelled artillery?
kondi754 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:35 am more information can be found in OoB Navigator Tool
Where can I find the tool?

Many thanks in forward!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Unit Navigator is here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=81616

As you're playing Sandstorm, I did a recorded play through (no narration sadly) a couple of years ago that you might find interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqgrMnJVh8
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

On the other topics:

Support fire in OOB comes only from AT, AA and Fighters.

AT support fires against Hard targets that attack units adjacent to the AT.
AA supports against Air to Ground attacks within it's range
Fighters support against air to air attacks against adjacent friendlies

Artillery does not provide any support fire in OOB.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Oh no, I was imprecise :oops: :mrgreen:
Only AT units give support for all adjacent units in defence, so only AT units should follow infantry and tanks :)

Like @Shards described above.

S-P :arrow: self-propelled
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

One more thing, some of arty units are switchable to AT mode, for example Soviet divisional gun 76.2mm as well as some Italian guns
Such units are very valuable and should be close enough to the frontline to support your troops during the counterattack of enemy armored units
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

kondi754 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:16 pm Only AT units give support for all adjacent units in defence, so only AT units should follow infantry and tanks
Okay, of course that makes it a little easier that the artillery doesn't have to stand directly behind my units at the beginning of the AI turn to protect they.

Then it doesn't matter if she falls a little behind the other advancing troops for a round or two, if because of its range it can attack at the beginning of my turn.
I was always desperate last night because I could never get the artillery behind my advancing units fast enough. I still thought that the artillery had to protect my units (like in Panzer Corps).
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

kondi754 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:27 pm One more thing, some of arty units are switchable to AT mode, for example Soviet divisional gun 76.2mm as well as some Italian guns
Such units are very valuable and should be close enough to the frontline to support your troops during the counterattack of enemy armored units
One more thing...as Steve Jobs said. :D

Okay, good to know. I think it´s the same as the german StuH 42

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmhaubitze_42

I will try the new findings tonight and report back tomorrow.

Thank you so much everyone!
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Magic1111 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:00 pm
kondi754 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:27 pm One more thing, some of arty units are switchable to AT mode, for example Soviet divisional gun 76.2mm as well as some Italian guns
One more thing...as Steve Jobs said. :D

Okay, good to know. I think it´s the same as the german StuH 42

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmhaubitze_42

I will try the new findings tonight and report back tomorrow.

Thank you so much everyone!
yes, StuH 42 is a good example
Have fun :!: :)
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Note that artillery will gradually lose efficiency (turning red) and needs to rest for a turn or two to be able to function optimally.

Did you play through the whole Boot campaign?
It covers all the basic and one of the scenarios is naval/air only.
I've just created a British version and have much fun play-testing this. It has been a few years since I last visited Boot Camp.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

In general, my one bit of OOB advice would be "it's all about efficiency".

Both the unit attribute, which will make a huge difference in combat, and in the case of getting most out of your RP and CP.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Shards wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:12 pm As you're playing Sandstorm, I did a recorded play through (no narration sadly) a couple of years ago that you might find interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqgrMnJVh8
Very helpful, many thanks. Do you have more Sandstorm Videos?

Erik2 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:15 pm Did you play through the whole Boot campaign?
To be honest, I played only the first two training scenarios complete, :oops: and I had canceled the third in the middle, because I wanted to finally get started with the German campaign. Couldn't wait any longer.

In addition, I don't enjoy playing with marine units at all. Only when ships are present as AUX units, as happens from time to time in Panzer Corps. :wink:

I also think that the training scenarios are way too long, with too many laps. The game mechanics could have been explained to the player with fewer units and with much fewer rounds. In terms of scope, the training is almost a separate campaign. Takes too long for me overall.
Last edited by Magic1111 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Shards wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:46 pm and in the case of getting most out of your RP and CP.
RP and CP??
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Resource Points and Commander Points.
RPs for purchasing and repair.
CPs decide how many land/air/naval units you are able to deploy at any given time.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Erik2 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:29 am Resource Points and Commander Points.
RPs for purchasing and repair.
CPs decide how many land/air/naval units you are able to deploy at any given time.
Thanks Erik, I didn't know what the abbreviations mean. :D

By the way, with the knowledge of the game mechanics and Shards video, the first Sandstorm scenario worked better yesterday evening! :D
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

- Attack air small / Attack air big

Which types of aircraft are big and which are smalll? And where can I read this on the unit details?

- Where can I read the value for the viewing area of the units? I know that each type of terrain requires a certain number of viewpoints. But where do I read the units' viewing area points?
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Magic1111 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:24 pm - Attack air small / Attack air big

Which types of aircraft are big and which are smalll? And where can I read this on the unit details?

- Where can I read the value for the viewing area of the units? I know that each type of terrain requires a certain number of viewpoints. But where do I read the units' viewing area points?
Small - one engine plane
Big - two and more engines I suppose :wink: (Bf 110 is big but Ju 87 small)

When you see such unit in the purchase panel or in the unit navigator tool, there are the 'base' stats
When you see such unit on the map during scenario, there are the stats which are already modified by the type of terrain in the unit info panel

EDIT. I don't read guides, manuals etc., I play in an intuitive way, so I base my distinction between units (big or small) on my own observations
If I'm wrong, surely someone will correct me soon :wink:

Return to “Order of Battle Series”