Leaders

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

travling_canuck
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Leaders

Post by travling_canuck »

vakarr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:55 am No benefit for your army, but If your army has a general and the opposing army doesn't, the opposing army is downgraded in its morale etc. Similarly if the opposing army has a 0-0 general then you don't suffer any penalty if you also have a 0-0 general.
Thanks! I'd missed that subtlety.
Bullseye500
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Bullseye500 »

MARVIN_THE_ARVN wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:18 am In games it is also easy to min max the numbers and over emphasis the mechanical tactical ability of commanders. In my humble opinion it is common that wars are fought and lost on things such as logistics. Also, generals only had so much control over an army, once the battle had started it was often subordinates who made the battle winning/losing mistakes. You could see the numbers as the effectiveness of the general staff.

It might be interesting to create traits that affect the economy or political side of things tied to generals and their use. You could have a trait that lowers stability in some provinces if the general is not in charge of the nations largest army.
Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

The initial generals can make or break a game. I was on my fourth try at Babylon in the Persia scenario, and it was only when I started with a 1-1 vanilla general that I won (Balanced). You only get two generals and if they are both sub-par then you just get rolled over. In my previous game I had a 0-1 Coward and the Persians had a 2-2 Tactician, and they didn't even bother fielding Cyrus the Great against me.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

This is mildly insulting :wink:
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Pocus wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:55 pm This is mildly insulting :wink:
No offence or criticism was intended. I was only sharing my experience with leader disparity.
matt3916
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by matt3916 »

I believe the "insult" referred to was the Persians not bothering to use Cyrus against you.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

I missed that. Cyrus was attacking the Lydians.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

w_michael wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 pm
Pocus wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:55 pm This is mildly insulting :wink:
No offence or criticism was intended. I was only sharing my experience with leader disparity.
AS Matt3916 said, I was only referring to the in-game treatment your army got :D
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
nikossaiz
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by nikossaiz »

As it seems , the game may have a limited if any time window for a patch or improvement.

That said and after hundreds of gameplay hours I would like to give my opinion about leaders and more specific about faction leaders.

A) for the faction leaders. make a tracking history of them via ledger or a seperate ui. leaders play a vast part on the faction course and still after they die they erased from everywhere like none existed. We have few immersive texts, like how they killed or if there is a honoured mausoleum but then nothing. With a simple tracking , example: seleukos, 256 - 220 died on his bed , glorious empire.
We can have in game what many players accused the game for. Lack of connection with persons. You dont have to be imperator for that, ( and thank you for not be:) a simple history could do the trick. Also for the army leaders, a simple win - lost battles history would gove them a sense of personality and a way to remember and connect with them .

B) make the faction leaders amble to lead and army. I dont have to make an argument to support this opinion, we all know that it was the case in history. In game mechanics they could have a great advantage on the army moral and in order not allow the player to send them on suicide battles if they dont want them, make a 33% or whatever % for a civil war to break . So you can have a real person war leader that you care for and at the same time the consequences of a loss.

Anyway, I understand that you have your schedule and dont hope so much, I just like what you have done so far and would like to see a few more or last improvements ( from my point of view)
poesel71
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by poesel71 »

A written history 'log' would be great.
I just wrote a small list of what to include and not, but I deleted it. IF it gets implemented Pocus knows well enough was has to be in it. :D
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

So much to do!

The next game will have improvements and hopefully some may make into a new Empires patch :-)
Yarev
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Yarev »

Pocus wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:26 pm So much to do!

The next game will have improvements and hopefully some may make into a new Empires patch :-)
Whats the next game?
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

I can't disclose, or I would get a crossbow bolt in the knee.
CHINCHIN
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by CHINCHIN »

If you complain to Romans or Carthaginians, imagine what it is like to lead the Celtiberians, bad or insufficient generals, there are periods of time when I only have 2 generals available and 4 armies to command.

Anyway I survive and learn a lot. I think a small tribe away from the great empires is better to start with.
TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TimDee58 »

CHINCHIN wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:43 am If you complain to Romans or Carthaginians, imagine what it is like to lead the Celtiberians, bad or insufficient generals, there are periods of time when I only have 2 generals available and 4 armies to command.

Anyway I survive and learn a lot. I think a small tribe away from the great empires is better to start with.
I strongly recommend Armenia to start off with, best start up unit ever (Cataphracts - usually elite)
leeslitherfog

Post by leeslitherfog »

Still playing Empires till Kingdoms comes out......

Generals definitely make or break a start to expansion. No decent general is a killer when your near neighbours are all gobbling up the decent regions.

Possibly should be an option to not put general on front line ie reduce chance of death.

No way should a general at sea and not in a coastal region ever survive a battle where the fleet is wiped out......
Neither should a general under seige survive an assault.

Oh.... When is Kingdoms coming out? :-)

Will Kingdoms have capturing kings/generals/high nobles and ransoming them for money/territory?????? Happened all the time in the Medievil period, at least in Europe. Kings tened to have to lead their armies unless they had lots of uncles or brothers that they trust to the hilt.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

No, capturing has not been done yet, it requires significant effort and we concentrated on other things. What we did is that we have your ruler as a general at all times though, with significant changes to the war when he wins or loses.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”