Winter Tournament - 2020

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Winter Tournament - 2020

Post by Shards »

Hi,

You may have already seen the news, but we've open up sign ups for the next Order of Battle Tournament, this one will start on 15th Dec and run until 26th Jan, thus, the Winter Tournament (Or Summer Tournament if you're in the antipodes)!

https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments

This tournament is open to all users (Mac is still on parity with PC for the span of this tournament) and will feature two slightly updated maps and one new one.

Round 1 is Two Bridges, a classic mirror match that's had a few tweaks recently. New NoDeploy rules apply to the central towns and we've increased the land CP available but reduced the Air CP reward for capturing the airfields, hopefully leading to better contests!

Round 2 is Sandstorm at the Oasis. A battle in the desert with Germans/Italians on one side and British on the other. Updates for this tournament include reduction of available supply on deployment, some new random mine configurations, reconfigured HQ locations and some new toys for the British to bring to the battlefield!

Round 3 is the new Crescent Bay. Japanese vs USA with a requirement to use all three disciplines of your army. Land forces are needed to fight over the shared terrain in the North and to perform paradrops and naval landings. Whilst your Navy and Air Force supports these landings and attempts to gain superiority in the deep bay that splits the two sides. The available CP and RP will ratchet up as the turn progress with new CP coming available as you hold onto the oil infrastructure locations across the map.

Looking forward to playing with you all!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Winter Tournament - 2020

Post by Shards »

Good luck all!

Also, I've drawn the BYE for this first round, so I'm free to offer advice or answer queries

But it does mean that I can't see the map in action, so please do let me know if there's any issues! And please save and upload your replays :)
rth
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by rth »

WINTER TOURNAMENT 2020: OVERALL SCORES ... werden hier die Punkte richtig gezählt, oder dargestellt ?
ich habe als blauer und roter Spieler Flaggen erobert, aber nur für eine Farbe Punkte bekommen, bei der anderen Farbe steht noch eine 0
Turniere machen alle Spaß ,... vielen Dank für die Arbeit und Zeit, die Ihr investiert
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

viewtopic.php?f=264&t=102897

Answer here.

In short, nasty bug and we'll have to restart the tournament
SagsGames77
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SagsGames77 »

Interesting allocation of VPs for capturing enemy HQs in this game. I received 30 VPs for capturing the first HQ, but when I captured the second HQ only 16. The other issue is that capturing the 2nd HQ gives an automatic victory so my game finished on Turn 13. So actually what I should have done is sit outside the 2nd one, and that way I would have collected 2 more turns of VPs for all the other VP locations I controlled. Surely there should be some kind of bonus for winning the game quickly, and it should not cost you points?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

You get more points the earlier you take the HQ's.

(Which is why some users have racked up scores that I think are too high... Might need to have a rethink about some of the early game HQ points)

You'll always get more for taking the HQ than you would for idling on taken locations.
Vindictus
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Vindictus »

I think I prefer the idea of no automatic victories.

I feel that if you capture the enemy HQ, you should be awarded a certain amount of bonus victory points ( that are clearly stated at the start of the battle, so you know if it worth taking the risk to aggressively push ) and then be allowed to continue farming points for the remainder of the battle.
SagsGames77
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SagsGames77 »

Yes, some clarity would be welcome.

On another subject is there any way to DM your opponent to remind them to take their turn?
SagsGames77
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SagsGames77 »

SagsGames77 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm On another subject is there any way to DM your opponent to remind them to take their turn?
Never mind, have found it.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Vindictus wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:06 am I think I prefer the idea of no automatic victories.

I feel that if you capture the enemy HQ, you should be awarded a certain amount of bonus victory points ( that are clearly stated at the start of the battle, so you know if it worth taking the risk to aggressively push ) and then be allowed to continue farming points for the remainder of the battle.
In this situation, the chance of your opponent playing on is minimal. The victory is complete, I think it's fair for a line to be drawn and to be able to be drawn.

I will likely change Sandstorm to not award the total victory bonus unless you hold both HQs however, to reduce the HQ rush and point inflation from a dominant victory
SagsGames77
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SagsGames77 »

So my opponent stopped playing with one turn left. I was about to take both his HQs, and had all the other VPs. Despite this, when the game ended I got no VPs at all for the turn I missed. Could this be fixed in future? I should have got at the very least 6 VPs for what I already had, even if none for the game position or units I could have destroyed in the last turn.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Crescent Bay

There's not enough Japanese air supply to deploy the last 3 air command points. Intended?
air supply.jpg
air supply.jpg (983.7 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Celeborn »

FYI I discovered that the oil production sites are apparently not considered infrastructure and cannot be repaired by engineers or Seabees. In the future it would be nice if these new (and cool) variants were accompanied by rules on how they work. (it is a mystery how a "production target" is met, whether damaged facilities reduce meeting production, what taking/losing a production site means, etc) This led me to do what I thought was the right thing by purchasing engineers to repair them which turned out to be a waste of RPs and more critically CPs. :-\
blondus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by blondus »

Are you sure points are calculated correctly? I sank the enemy support ship and I am not sure to have received the points
cheers
toll
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by toll »

infinit money crecent Bay
As American you are able to buy sherman tanks for 175, equip them with additional Armor and then sell them for 220 without deploying them. You are able to repeat this a unlimited amount of times. you gain 45 everytime you do this
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

toll wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 am infinit money crecent Bay
As American you are able to buy sherman tanks for 175, equip them with additional Armor and then sell them for 220 without deploying them. You are able to repeat this a unlimited amount of times. you gain 45 everytime you do this
Switchable units should always have the same price:

Capture d’écran (1800).jpg
Capture d’écran (1800).jpg (185.42 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

toll wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 am infinit money crecent Bay
Hi,

Thanks for flagging this! We'll fix in the next patch
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Erik2 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:55 am Crescent Bay

There's not enough Japanese air supply to deploy the last 3 air command points. Intended?

air supply.jpg
Yes, buy a carrier if you want to use the extra supply. :)
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Celeborn wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:31 pm FYI I discovered that the oil production sites are apparently not considered infrastructure and cannot be repaired by engineers or Seabees. In the future it would be nice if these new (and cool) variants were accompanied by rules on how they work. (it is a mystery how a "production target" is met, whether damaged facilities reduce meeting production, what taking/losing a production site means, etc) This led me to do what I thought was the right thing by purchasing engineers to repair them which turned out to be a waste of RPs and more critically CPs. :-\
Have to say, I'd never considered that a unit could repair these structures! They're neutral units (as both sides can theoretically benefit from them), so I don't think that we can make them repairable in any way.

In general, if you hold the flag and the nearby production facility is alive, then you gain 1 point per turn. The target increases by 2 each time you meet the target, which spaces the reinforcements out more over the course of the scenario.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

blondus wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:46 pm Are you sure points are calculated correctly? I sank the enemy support ship and I am not sure to have received the points
cheers
Hmm, I'll have to check that...

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”