How does raid work?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

duirixuanyan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

How does raid work?

Post by duirixuanyan »

I know it can damage other countries. But can I loot some money for raiding?
Nithus
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: How does raid work?

Post by Nithus »

yes, even take new slaves. Unsuccessful raid can lower your army effectiveness though.
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by loki100 »

duirixuanyan wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 am I know it can damage other countries. But can I loot some money for raiding?
yes - make sure you have the message level set to average and you'll see your gains, can be very profitable.

but if you are a civ level 1 tribe be careful - the resulting slaves can really unbalance your capital.

In addition, if you get very lucky, you can destroy structures, if you are unlucky your army can lose a lot of effectiveness
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

Yes raiding is the prime source of income for tribal nations. took me quite a while to work out that to do it, all you do is put an army next to the target and click "raid" - don't tell it to move anywhere.
Cfant
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Cfant »

Hi!

I have buildt 5 pirates ships and sent them to a nearby coast. After 30 turns - not a single successful raid (yes, raid enabled). Am I missing something? Fleets seem to be expensive... and how can I increase the probability of a successful raid? Even if I place my 18-unit army next to an empty province, the raids (it works for the land army, at least they try it :D) are 99% unsuccessful.

And how do I protect my provinces? Do local units help? And better as a field army or as a garrison?

Unfortunately, none of this is in the manual.
Gray Fox
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Gray Fox »

I've never used pirates, so I can't help you there. However, walls protect your regions. Better walls add to the garrison. Military Expertise (ME) supposedly improves garrison training. ME is the total value of all of your military structure levels averaged with the total number of your regions. So if you have 10 regions each with a level 3 military structure, then your ME is 3.
Attachments
Military Expertise.jpg
Military Expertise.jpg (128.25 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085
Cfant
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Cfant »

Thanks! Also found an old thread concerning raids. Army strength compared to ((region defense*3)+buildings). So if a region has defense 10, you should have raiding strength 40 to have any chance.

Would be great to have such rules of thumb in the manual or ingame :)
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Don't forget that raids won't happen against nations with 25+ relationships, this can explain no raiding attempts.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Cfant
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Cfant »

Not really, because the other raid me :? With much more success, as I must add. Strange thing, the AI raides me successfully with 1-2 units in the neighboring region, while I fail with a strength 40 army which I give the raid-command.

Well, it works ok when I raid an undeveloped region (which gives not much loot, but well). It's really bad if I try to raid an other nation. Has the AI any advantage in raiding? It's strange how often the AI succeeds against overwhelming numbers, even in my garissoned capital.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

No, there is no such thing. Either bad luck or a kind of cognitive bias from you. You remark when the AI succeeds, but don't all the time it fails?
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Cfant
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Cfant »

Yes, that may be :lol:
Pico2014
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Pico2014 »

loki100 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:03 am
duirixuanyan wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 am I know it can damage other countries. But can I loot some money for raiding?
yes - make sure you have the message level set to average and you'll see your gains, can be very profitable.

but if you are a civ level 1 tribe be careful - the resulting slaves can really unbalance your capital.

In addition, if you get very lucky, you can destroy structures, if you are unlucky your army can lose a lot of effectiveness
Hey.
where exactly can i see these gains? Message-lvl is set to average, although i cant see any difference to other stances.
I only know and get the information that i successfully (or not) raided a region, and sometimes i gain slaves from it. But nothing about Money.

Additional question: how does retaliation work? Do i have to be at war? It says i can fight the enemy without conquering the region - does this mean a normal battle between the two armies occurs?

Thank you.
Will_L
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Will_L »

You don't have to be at war for retaliation to work and there won't be a battle, the raiders should be weaker in strength. Have the Retaliation button highlighted (pressed) on the Army screen. The army has to be in the region that gets raided so if the region where the raiders are coming from borders more than one of your regions you might want a force in each to make sure they get the bloody nose you're wanting to give 'em. Having retaliation active might mess up your plans if you're marching into an enemy region with plans on capturing it, make sure you turn off retaliation since it will cause you to return to the region you entered the enemy region from (I still forget to do this LOL)
Pico2014
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Pico2014 »

thank you!

Does retaliate work only "reactive" to (auto) counter raid-attempts or is it always possible, as long as there is an enemy force adjacent to the region where my army is stationed?
Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

Here's a strategy for use of retaliate I did:

viewtopic.php?f=534&t=96501&p=826449&hi ... te#p826449
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085
Pico2014
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Pico2014 »

Thank you.

Quite interesting. So no war-status required for this and you can do it wether you are raided or not.
I suggest the probability of success depends on the combat value difference of the 2 stacks?
Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

IIRC, the targets must be enemy regions.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Relationships must be under 25; Raider combat power and defender combat power definitively factored, as garrisons and walls.
leeslitherfog
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by leeslitherfog »

No matter what message setting I choose I don't seem to see that actual results of RAIDS Just that they happened either did something or got defeated....

So where are the actual results? or where do they show up......... ie money gains even when raid reports as succesful....

Something must be happening though because my armies do take damage on an unsucessful raid.
leeslitherfog

Post by leeslitherfog »

Sussed it.......

Had to set all the right filters in the MESSAGE LOG

doh!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”