Few questions about Great Empires: Rome

DS: Upcoming Roman turn based strategy game for the Nintendo handheld!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

CustodianV131
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Few questions about Great Empires: Rome

Post by CustodianV131 »

How do battles play out?
Is it the same as in Legion for the PC where you plan where to put each unit, keeping the terrain and which enemy units where discovered by scouts in mind and then they go at it? I really liked how that worked in Legion, Chariots and the Spartan/Troy games so hopefully this offers the same.

Red something about minigames, what do those entail?

How do the controls/UI feel like?

Savegames. Heard about only one savegame so its a bit "ironman" like in that fashion? Also is that overall or per campaign?

Does the AI offer a good game? Red it could be pretty aggressive... like the sound of that!
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Surtur »

1, battle system is simplified, but fairly similar to the games you mention
2, 4 minigames, one about topografy, one sudoku (roman numbers), one quiz like game and a puzzle sliding game.
3, All can be done via the stylus, works pretty accurate, no complaints so far
4, just one save at a time in total, no multiple campaings.
5, AI is givin you a nice challenge, a lot harder then GoT
CustodianV131
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by CustodianV131 »

Thanks for the answers! Really must get this game now! One further question:
Surtur wrote:2, 4 minigames, one about topografy, one sudoku (roman numbers), one quiz like game and a puzzle sliding game.
That might be quite fun, but I really hate sudoku... So my question, where are the minigames used for and are they required to play? IE do you get bonuses or something for completing them or are they just little extra's in the menu.
scarfacetarraff
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by scarfacetarraff »

CustodianV131 wrote:Thanks for the answers! Really must get this game now! One further question:
Surtur wrote:2, 4 minigames, one about topografy, one sudoku (roman numbers), one quiz like game and a puzzle sliding game.
That might be quite fun, but I really hate sudoku... So my question, where are the minigames used for and are they required to play? IE do you get bonuses or something for completing them or are they just little extra's in the menu.
The mini-games are just for fun little interludes. They are not integrated into the game itself. The game is unadulterated Legion-esque strategy.
"Hasta la victoria siempre!"
Legion (Mac/iPad), Spartan (Mac), GoT (Mac), Legion Arena (Mac), CEaW (Mac/DS), CNaW (Mac), HGE: Rome (DS), Egypt: EaE (iPad), FoG (Mac), Battle Academy (Mac/iPad), Unity of Command (Mac), CTGW (iPad)
CustodianV131
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by CustodianV131 »

triari wrote:The mini-games are just for fun little interludes. They are not integrated into the game itself. The game is unadulterated Legion-esque strategy.
Ah great! Can't wait to play this on my DSi! Sadly, I didn't manage to locate in a shop today (checked 6 for it, but no luck) But I'll place an order online somewhere. Strange thing I noticed that its a full price game in Europe and a budget price game in the USA. Guess each publisher treats it differently. Glad to hear Slitherine is going to self publish in the future. Hopefully I can support that by buying many great games off them!

Hmmm now where to place my order... ;)
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

How about from us :)
CustodianV131
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by CustodianV131 »

iainmcneil wrote:How about from us :)
Erhm I would have done that, but didn't see a price listed for GE:R, only a link to the info. Hope to order Conquest with you soon, but want to try the demo first, since I can't form a good picture about what the gameplay is like.

Been playing most of your games since Legion and hope to play many more in the future. Keep up the good work!
Last edited by CustodianV131 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Ahh good point - our stock has not arrived yet. I was getting mixed up with another game.....

Return to “HISTORY™ Great Empires: Rome”