Petronel Cavalry

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Petronel Cavalry

Post by w_michael »

Shouldn't the late period German (Imperial) army list include the option of one unit of petronel cavalry?
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Petronel Cavalry

Post by Dux Limitis »

w_michael wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:56 am Shouldn't the late period German (Imperial) army list include the option of one unit of petronel cavalry?
They already had,if you mean the Late Medieval,already in the tabletop army list(Mounted handgunners).You can use them from the 1450 AD.Another thing I wanna ask is(Hope the Mr.Richard will answer me when he see it)will the Late Medieval knights/MAAs' armour ratings change to fully armoured in FoG2:Medieval instead of heavily armoured in FoG tabletop?As in Late Medieval they're usually armed with mail under plates,brigandine with plates etc.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (107.85 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Dux Limitis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:39 amAnother thing I wanna ask is will the Late Medieval knights/MAAs' armour ratings change to fully armoured in FoG2:Medieval instead of heavily armoured in FoG tabletop?
Later period MAA will be Fully Armoured - armour rating 300. (In fact they were Fully Armoured in tabletop too, it is just that the nomenclature has changed between tabletop and computer to allow extra shades of armour rating - i.e. Heavily Armoured is armour rating 250 in FOG2 Medieval, but was equivalent to Fully Armoured in tabletop).
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:50 am
Dux Limitis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:39 amAnother thing I wanna ask is will the Late Medieval knights/MAAs' armour ratings change to fully armoured in FoG2:Medieval instead of heavily armoured in FoG tabletop?
Later period MAA will be Fully Armoured - armour rating 300. (In fact they were Fully Armoured in tabletop too, it is just that the nomenclature has changed between tabletop and computer to allow extra shades of armour rating - i.e. Heavily Armoured is armour rating 250 in FOG2 Medieval, but was equivalent to Fully Armoured in tabletop).
Thanks for the answer mister.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Yeah, I guess that I have to wait until the Renaissance period.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

w_michael wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:34 am Yeah, I guess that I have to wait until the Renaissance period.
I guess you don't.
FoG:Medieval will eventually cover the medieval period until 1500.
There are German mounted handgunners in the TT game from 1450.

1450-1500 seems to be an interesting period !
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Athos1660 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:05 am
w_michael wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:34 am Yeah, I guess that I have to wait until the Renaissance period.
I guess you don't.
FoG:Medieval will eventually cover the medieval period until 1500.
There are German mounted handgunners in the TT game from 1450.

1450-1500 seems to be an interesting period !
OK, looking forward to Petronel cavalry in the game; the ancestor of the pistol and the carbine.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

The nice smell of the gunpowder is coming (in FoG:M) : light guns, bombards, lightfoot handgunners, mounted handgunners... :-)
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Athos1660 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:23 am The nice smell of the gunpowder is coming (in FoG:M) : light guns, bombards, lightfoot handgunners, mounted handgunners... :-)
Let's hope that FOG2Medieval has graphic smoke effects like P&S. Smokeless gunpowder wasn't available until the 18th century.
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

Yes we definitely do hope to see some smoke fx billowing forth from the boomsticks!
Image Image
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

w_michael wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:06 pm
Athos1660 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:23 am The nice smell of the gunpowder is coming (in FoG:M) : light guns, bombards, lightfoot handgunners, mounted handgunners... :-)
Let's hope that FOG2Medieval has graphic smoke effects like P&S. Smokeless gunpowder wasn't available until the 18th century.
How widespread was this smokeless gunpowder? I am quite familiar with the Napoleonic period which is early 19th century and you always see swaths of smoke in pictures and movies that depict the battles..
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 am
w_michael wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:06 pm
How widespread was this smokeless gunpowder? I am quite familiar with the Napoleonic period which is early 19th century and you always see swaths of smoke in pictures and movies that depict the battles..
The American Civil War battlefields, likewise, were quickly blanketed with dense smoke from the intense musket and cannon fire. Having seen first hand a reenactment of Gettysburg, I can attest that even after a few volleys, visibility drops dramatically - and the reenactors were certainly not maintaining the same level of fire that was historically likely.

Smokeless powder wasn't available till the end of the 19th century. The first rifle introduced using it, the Lebel, came out in 1887. As I recall, US troops were quite discomforted by their first encounters with smokeless power in Cuba used by the Spanish during the Spanish American War in 1898.
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 am How widespread was this smokeless gunpowder? I am quite familiar with the Napoleonic period which is early 19th century and you always see swaths of smoke in pictures and movies that depict the battles..
My mistake. I typed 18th century instead of late 1800's. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a miniatures early Renaissance German Imperial army, that includes a stand of Petronel cavalry. The name was derived from the French word poitrine (chest) because the butt of the handgun usually rested against the chest when fired. Note from the figure below, they were well armoured.
Essex Miniatures
Essex Miniatures
Petronel.jpg (15.33 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

w_michael wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:13 pm
SLancaster wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 am How widespread was this smokeless gunpowder? I am quite familiar with the Napoleonic period which is early 19th century and you always see swaths of smoke in pictures and movies that depict the battles..
My mistake. I typed 18th century instead of late 1800's. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a miniatures early Renaissance German Imperial army, that includes a stand of Petronel cavalry. The name was derived from the French word poitrine (chest) because the butt of the handgun usually rested against the chest when fired. Note from the figure below, they were well armoured.

Petronel.jpg
They already treated as armoured as you see in the rulebook,also this miniature is based on a manuscript,which from the 1505 AD(It's pretty old school that man used a handgonne-like firearm in this period,as the matchlocks were already widely spread in the Western Europe).
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

I played against Ghaznavid Naffatun for the first time, and loved the bomb graphics. Very nice.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”