Can someone explain how efficiency work for non ground units?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Applepie68
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Can someone explain how efficiency work for non ground units?

Post by Applepie68 »

As the topic states, I have a solid grasp of how efficiency work for ground units. But I was wondering how it worked for other units such as ships and planes. Do they recover efficiency in the same way? Can naval units lose efficiency? What about planes how do they recover efficiency? I'm asking because I finally decided to play one of the naval campaigns and it was my first time where I have to deal with carriers. The Kriegsmarine campaign didn't really prepare me for this :?
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Can someone explain how efficiency work for non ground units?

Post by Horst »

Yeah, Kriegsmarine is definitely not the best DLC to start playing and learning the mechanics. Boot Camp followed by US Pacific campaign is the best tutorial. You can take over your units from Boot Camp to the US campaign what is a nice feature, although you need to repurchase them with some experience loss.

Ships loose only efficiency until the next turn if you make emergency repairs below 5 or 4 left strength. Also if a support ship repairs another ship then both loose temporarily efficiency. Otherwise, ships never loose efficiency.

Planes loose efficiency if the air supply value is dropping below the coverage, like loosing/damaging airfields/airstrips or carriers/tenders which normally only give air supply. It's however also possible that some maps have set off-map air supply enabled that you don't even need any airfields but only exit/redeployment hexes on the map. Recon planes normally also don't bother about air supply with limitless fuel.
Engineering units, like Engineers, Seabees, and Bautruppe, can restore airfields should they be damaged by strategic bombers. Just let them sit on the hexes to slowly restore 1 supply per turn.
Same with carriers by Port hexes or worse Support Ships. This should increase the damaged air supply again and raise every plane's efficiency value again.

You can see on the combat result test examples below that efficiency loss during direct combat for ground combat is quite obscure how much you can loose and not, depending on experience and defense values.

Code: Select all

- Unreliable-trait units have a 50% chance to lose 2 efficiency points (20) when moving, no matter how far
- Unreliable-trait units lose 1 additional efficiency point (10) when attacking or defending (modified by experience and combat results somehow)
  -   reliable 0-star: Atk 10 vs. Def 99: 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0
  -   reliable 0-star: Atk 10 vs. Def 10: 9,9,9,9,9,9,8,...
  - unreliable 0-star: Atk 10 vs. Def 99: 8,6,4,2,0
  - unreliable 0-star: Atk 10 vs. Def 10: 8,7,6,4,3,2,1,0
  - unreliable 5-star: Atk 10 vs. Def 10: 9,8,8,7,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,1,1,0
  - unreliable 0-star: Def 10 vs. Atk 10: 8,7,5,4,2,1,0
  - unreliable 0-star: Def 99 vs. Atk 10: 8,6,4,2,0
Last edited by Horst on Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pwnerade
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Pwnerade »

Aircraft have lower efficiency when they take off, but it goes away the next turn. The "Scrambling" specialization reduces it for fighters, IIRC.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton
stevefprice
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevefprice »

"Engineering units, like Engineers, Seabees, and Bautruppe, can restore airfields should they be damaged by strategic bombers. Just let them sit on the hexes to slowly restore 1 supply per turn."

Never knew that.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

stevefprice wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:32 pm "Engineering units, like Engineers, Seabees, and Bautruppe, can restore airfields should they be damaged by strategic bombers. Just let them sit on the hexes to slowly restore 1 supply per turn."

Never knew that.
Works for land supply sources, too, by the way. But I've always thought it was 2 supply/turn.

Most players don't read them, I suppose, but almost all of the game's features and mechanics are explained in the in-game "tutorial messages".
StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by StuccoFresco »

Horst wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:40 pm Yeah, Kriegsmarine is definitely not the best DLC to start playing and learning the mechanics. Boot Camp followed by US Pacific campaign is the best tutorial. You can take over your units from Boot Camp to the US campaign what is a nice feature, although you need to repurchase them with some experience loss.

Ships loose only efficiency until the next turn if you make emergency repairs below 5 or 4 left strength. Also if a support ship repairs another ship then both loose temporarily efficiency. Otherwise, ships never loose efficiency.

Planes loose efficiency if the air supply value is dropping below the coverage, like loosing/damaging airfields/airstrips or carriers/tenders which normally only give air supply. It's however also possible that some maps have set off-map air supply enabled that you don't even need any airfields but only exit/redeployment hexes on the map. Recon planes normally also don't bother about air supply with limitless fuel.
Engineering units, like Engineers, Seabees, and Bautruppe, can restore airfields should they be damaged by strategic bombers. Just let them sit on the hexes to slowly restore 1 supply per turn.
Same with carriers by Port hexes or worse Support Ships. This should increase the damaged air supply again and raise every plane's efficiency value again.

You can see on the combat result test examples below that efficiency loss during direct combat for ground combat is quite obscure how much you can loose and not, depending on experience and defense values.

- Unreliable units have a 50% chance to lose 2 efficiency points (20) when moving, no matter how far
- Unreliable units lose 1 additional efficiency point (10) when attacking or defending (modified by experience and combat results somehow)
Where can I find this kind of data? Which file?
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

StuccoFresco wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:01 am Where can I find this kind of data? Which file?
Basically, it's DIY... sorry to say and thanks Horst!
Horst

Post by Horst »

Here you can see how an airfield with air-supply and a land-supply hex is repaired by one point (10 internal preventing fractions) per turn, less if the engineering unit is below full strength.
Don't mind my modified bulldozer that can also repair supply.
Hex-Repair1.jpg
Hex-Repair1.jpg (417.21 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Hex-Repair2.jpg
Hex-Repair2.jpg (420.96 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Applepie68

Post by Applepie68 »

Horst wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:40 pm Yeah, Kriegsmarine is definitely not the best DLC to start playing and learning the mechanics. Boot Camp followed by US Pacific campaign is the best tutorial. You can take over your units from Boot Camp to the US campaign what is a nice feature, although you need to repurchase them with some experience loss.

- Unreliable units have a 50% chance to lose 2 efficiency points (20) when moving, no matter how far
- Unreliable units lose 1 additional efficiency point (10) when attacking or defending (modified by experience and combat results somehow)
Thanks for the explanation. I actually never even considered air supply mostly because I have only completed Burma Road and Kreigsmarine neither of which really has the AI damaging your air supply. So I hadn't considered what losing a carrier or getting more planes would do to my air supply. I first realized this noticed this when the mission gave me an extra bomber squadron. This really helps clear things up as I tried not moving and parking the planes for multiple turns to increase efficiency. Can you explain the data you attached at the bottom? I know units lose efficiency when attacked but what do you mean by reliable and unreliable. I'm also assuming the numbers on the right most side shows the efficiency after multiple attacks. Would the numbers for 10 vs 10 be the same as the numbers for say 20 vs 20 (hypothetically).
Horst

Post by Horst »

Sorry, should have added unreliable trait there. Some early production tanks have this trait.
The efficiency numbers are consecutive attacks after each other, read from the first mentioned unit (1st vs. 2nd)
Can't remember why a defender with theoretical defense of 99 loses so much efficiency on attacks. Maybe I noted this the wrong way around.
Old tests, old notes... :)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”