Panzer Corps 2: Axis Operations - 1939 || Dev Diary # 1

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

ledrobi
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2: Axis Operations - 1939 || Dev Diary # 1

Post by ledrobi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 pm

EXTRA DETAILS ON THE NEW AXIS OPERATIONS DLC 1939

With July's launch of the Spanish Civil War DLC, our players have received half of their Field Marshal package DLC. And now your battles will continue and Field Marshal editions will be complete as we reveal some details and insights on the next chapter of the Axis Operations Grand Campaign.

As a foreword: the full scenario list will be coming soon with the launch of 1939's DLC store page, so be on the lookout for that!

1. WORLD WAR II PROPER

While the Spanish Civil War was a great opportunity to explore a new setting and new mechanics for Panzer Corps II, we definitely want returning to mainline World War II to have a much more classic feeling.

Well not too classic, because we've been very happy to see the overwhelming majority of our players celebrate the return of Degrees of Victory through bonus objectives. You will definitely expect to see more mission variety once again, and more new and exciting rewards to purchase with your hard-earned Commendation Points.

In fact the bonus objective of the very first mission of Axis Operations 1939 is... to not destroy a single enemy unit. We said that the Czechoslovakia mission had some special mechanics, and we meant it!

You will have to carefully navigate the (relatively) peaceful annexation of Czechoslovakia with a carefully measured hand instead of barging in and destroying everything in sight (that comes later, don't worry). For those with the knowledge and abilities to carefully control enemy positioning through suppression and retreat, another unique reward awaits. But just to make sure our first mission isn't stonewalling our players right out of the gate, preservation of hostile forces is of course only a bonus objective.

2. THE PATH TO WAR

After your stint in Czechoslovakia, expect a very healthy sized campaign that will take you from missions on the French/German border conflict of Operation Saar, to the classic battles of the Polish invasion, and beyond as may you find yourself already running afoul of Soviet forces advancing from the other direction...

Opportunities abound to acquire new equipment to outfit your personalized force with, so always be on the lookout for various secrets and other non-standard ways of procuring new weaponry!

https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/Uplo ... NIMAGE.png

But as your personal Panzer Corps continues to grow and expand, new enemies and challenges will also continue to evolve and change as well, so don't get too complacent!

3. THE WAR IS JUST BEGINNING

As with the Spanish Civil War, the end of the 1939 campaign will ideally not be the end of your campaign journey. At the end of Axis Operations 1939, your CORE forces and their haul of captured equipment will once again be saved for future use...

While our historically minded players probably know what historical battles still lie ahead... we think it's a safe guarantee that extra mission variety and exploring relatively unexplored conflicts will continue to make visiting the European theatre of World War II both familiar to those with historical knowledge, and yet still fresh and new as we dive into interesting historical details to shape the battles you will fight through.

4. NO MORE AI PARTNERS... FOR NOW

While we were thrilled to hear so many of our players enjoying the new and innovative features of having an AI counterpart fight alongside you, we want to point out that such a partnership isn't a mainline feature of the Axis Operations. It has no historical place during the 1939 campaigns and battles, and we're not going to try and shoehorn it in where it doesn't belong.

So gone are your AI Ally controlled infantry, once again full access to German infantry forces dominates the battlescape!

Will we see friendly AI forces in the future? We certainly hope so, when it is historically appropriate. For example, working alongside with Italian or Romanian commands is absolutely on the table. Ideally, we will also refine the system for more control. For example, it would definitely be helpful to order general directives to some friendly units, but not all units at once. So one group might be sent to hold a particular position, while another is sent out hunting for enemy scouts.

We hope you enjoyed this extra reveal and are looking forward to returning to your Panzers for another new campaign full of new battles coming near the end of this month!

Rhaeg
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Panzer Corps 2: Axis Operations - 1939 || Dev Diary # 1

Post by Rhaeg » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Looking forward to this, especially the Czech and Saar offensive content! New = good!
ledrobi wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 pm
Will we see friendly AI forces in the future? We certainly hope so, when it is historically appropriate. For example, working alongside with Italian or Romanian commands is absolutely on the table. Ideally, we will also refine the system for more control. For example, it would definitely be helpful to order general directives to some friendly units, but not all units at once. So one group might be sent to hold a particular position, while another is sent out hunting for enemy scouts.
I enjoyed this system for SCW and thought it was appropriate there: I don't think the Germans had a lot of say in where the Nationalist troops went so it would have been weird if you were just able to control them directly. I'm not sure if I would like to see this system for the Italians and Romanians though. How much say did the Romanians have for instance when they fought the Soviet Union? Weren't they pretty much supposed to go along with what the OKW decided? I doubt they had much choice in having to defend the flank of the 6th army at Stalingrad and couldn't just go "Hey let's leave these positions and join the assault on the city!" for instance. It would also deny the player the ability to play with all these cool Italian units, which would be a big disappointment to many, I'm sure. To quote myself from a post I wrote yesterday:
Even if you will not consider other countries taking central stage in Axis Operations DLC, I still think the idea of having at least separate cores and prestige pools should be considered for some scenarios. In Order of Battle, it at least made me use Italians a lot more in Africa... I remember from the PC1 Africa expansion that I only kept some Bersaglieri: the rest was simply just a waste of my command points. Also, I didn't like the current African scenarios in PC2 a lot tbh: the German core force felt too large and powerful*** from the start for the African theater and the few Italian auxiliaries might just as well not have been there. I really hope Axis Operations will revisit Africa and give the Italians a bigger role.
This would feel a lot more satisfying, me thinks...

Snake97644
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Snake97644 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:11 am

Looking forward to it, thanks for keeping great content coming and for continuing to innovate

Mojko
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Mojko » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:43 am

ledrobi wrote:

I'm looking forward to this DLC and most notably for the more refined AI control. This is something I requested a while ago. Happy to see it getting implemented :D .
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)

adiekmann
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by adiekmann » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:36 am

Rhaeg wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:49 pm

I enjoyed this system for SCW and thought it was appropriate there: I don't think the Germans had a lot of say in where the Nationalist troops went so it would have been weird if you were just able to control them directly. I'm not sure if I would like to see this system for the Italians and Romanians though. How much say did the Romanians have for instance when they fought the Soviet Union? Weren't they pretty much supposed to go along with what the OKW decided? I doubt they had much choice in having to defend the flank of the 6th army at Stalingrad and couldn't just go "Hey let's leave these positions and join the assault on the city!" for instance. It would also deny the player the ability to play with all these cool Italian units, which would be a big disappointment to many, I'm sure.
I agree wholeheartedly. Rommel told the Italians what to do in N. Africa and so should you directly. I really can't think of another situation in the rest of the war where it would be appropriate to have a situation like that. Perhaps units that are working/defending well behind the front lines? Like ones protecting supply lines maybe? I don't know; that's all I can come up with.

Otherwise, super jazzed about this upcoming DLC!

GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:15 am

Guys but nobody noticed that one of screenshot is about a scenario named “raate road”??
That’s a Finland scenario!!!
So we will have winter war too! I can guess we will have Finland troops under our control, that’s great!

ADMIRAL3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ADMIRAL3 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:37 am

Having completed SCW DLC I would like to congratulate the developers for their outstanding job BRAVO ZULU ! Now PZC2 has a very distiguished and proper identity with great flavour added to game mechanics, Now this masterpiece has gained a new and adequate dignity let's continue on this path and PZC2 will reach the top !! Only one recommendation: improve the sounds to give another boost to this very enjoiable simulation. Thanks so much! LBM

GUNDOBALDO08

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 pm

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:15 am
Guys but nobody noticed that one of screenshot is about a scenario named “raate road”??
So we will have winter war too! I can guess we will have Finland troops under our control, that’s great!
I'm sorry but I’obsessed by the Raate Road screenshot, because I loved the winter war dlc in OOB so much. Also, although I love PC2, I consider the absolute limited support of non-German Axis armies as the worst flaw of the original campaign. I noticed from the top right corner that there is only one faction of the axis and it would look like the Germans ... I'm terrified that Finnish units are not foreseen: it would be absurd since in December 1939 there were no Germans in Finland and indeed Germany was not even at war with Russia! please don't make this mistake !!!

Rhaeg
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rhaeg » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 pm
GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
I'm sorry but I’obsessed by the Raate Road screenshot, because I loved the winter war dlc in OOB so much. Also, although I love PC2, I consider the absolute limited support of non-German Axis armies as the worst flaw of the original campaign. I noticed from the top right corner that there is only one faction of the axis and it would look like the Germans ... I'm terrified that Finnish units are not foreseen: it would be absurd since in December 1939 there were no Germans in Finland and indeed Germany was not even at war with Russia! please don't make this mistake !!!
I wouldn't worry about that too much, I think they are just using that cross as the axis symbol. I don't think they would go so far with the fantasy scenarios as to just eliminate entire nations and replace them with what we already have (i.e. German units). I can't imagine anyone would be happy with that.

GUNDOBALDO08

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Rhaeg wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm
GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about that too much, I think they are just using that cross as the axis symbol. I don't think they would go so far with the fantasy scenarios as to just eliminate entire nations and replace them with what we already have (i.e. German units). I can't imagine anyone would be happy with that.
I hope you’re right, but my worry improved because new units list pubblished for first two dlc doesnt include finnish units...

adiekmann

Post by adiekmann » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:24 pm

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:08 pm
Rhaeg wrote:
GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:

I hope you’re right, but my worry improved because new units list published for first two dlc doesnt include finnish units...
There was a single such scenario in PG2. If I recall in the briefing for that mission, you controlled "German volunteers" who wanted to help the Finns but the German government "would deny all knowledge if captured," but I don't know if that was true historically, or just a fictional narrative for the game. You did control Finnish units as well in that game so perhaps the same thing will be true here as well. I do know some other foreign nationals did volunteer to help the Finns, especially Swedes, but this wasn't on an officially sanctioned level like the Condor Legion was in Spain.

GUNDOBALDO08

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:26 pm

adiekmann wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:24 pm
GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:08 pm
Rhaeg wrote:

I hope you’re right, but my worry improved because new units list published for first two dlc doesnt include finnish units...
There was a single such scenario in PG2. If I recall in the briefing for that mission, you controlled "German volunteers" who wanted to help the Finns but the German government "would deny all knowledge if captured," but I don't know if that was true historically, or just a fictional narrative for the game. You did control Finnish units as well in that game so perhaps the same thing will be true here as well. I do know some other foreign nationals did volunteer to help the Finns, especially Swedes, but this wasn't on an officially sanctioned level like the Condor Legion was in Spain.
Yes I remember “Suomassalmi” finland scenario in PG2, there was finnish and german units Vs soviets attacking, wonderful!

KesaAnna
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by KesaAnna » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:20 am

ledrobi wrote:
Will we see friendly AI forces in the future? We certainly hope so, when it is historically appropriate. For example, working alongside with Italian or Romanian commands is absolutely on the table.
As I have said before , one of the "perks" of choosing to go to North Afrika , I hoped , was the opportunity of working with the Italians. I was rather disappointed that the Italians didn't play a bigger role. :(

I imagined , vaguely , something like how SCW has worked out , only with Italians instead of Spanish Nationalists. :D

And with the Auxiliaries trait , SCW as been Heaven ; Lots of Germans , lots of Spanish Nationalists , and lots of Italians to play with ! :mrgreen:

I'm hoping SCW is something of a template for a future North Afrika.
ledrobi wrote:
Ideally, we will also refine the system for more control.
If I get an expanded role for Italy in North Afrika , I'm not one of those who is going to complain much about that.

Just like I couldn't complain much about that when I got my hearts desire of a Spanish Civil War campaign ---

--- and the Allie AI isn't that bad ! Actually it's pretty darn good for an AI , at least in my opinion.

chegevara
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by chegevara » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:45 pm

If you will refine an AI orders system at the future DLCs, will it affect only new DLC or SCW will also be fixed?

Rhaeg
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rhaeg » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:58 pm

KesaAnna wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:20 am
I imagined , vaguely , something like how SCW has worked out , only with Italians instead of Spanish Nationalists. :D
Again, I was very happy with the allied AI system in SCW, but I would be very much against using it for forces that should be under direct German control. As adiekmann said:
adiekmann wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:36 am
Rommel told the Italians what to do in N. Africa and so should you directly. I really can't think of another situation in the rest of the war where it would be appropriate to have a situation like that.
It would be a lot more fun (IMO) if we had a separate prestige pool and command points for Italy, which would allow players to assemble their own Italian force and actually get to play with all these cool units. The allied AI system would make no sense here and would be a lot less fun. Please do not make the mistake of using the allied AI system in places where it's not appropriate, just because you put time in it to develop it for SCW.

adiekmann

Post by adiekmann » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Rhaeg wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:58 pm
KesaAnna wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:20 am

It would be a lot more fun (IMO) if we had a separate prestige pool and command points for Italy, which would allow players to assemble their own Italian force and actually get to play with all these cool units. The allied AI system would make no sense here and would be a lot less fun. Please do not make the mistake of using the allied AI system in places where it's not appropriate, just because you put time in it to develop it for SCW.
That is an excellent idea!! :D I don't know if it's feasible on a programming level, but if so, that would be ideal. Your German core could be limited enough to force you to use at least some Italian units to make up the manpower shortage (if designed properly). That would also mimic the situation better historically. But at the same time, you wouldn't feel like you're "wasting" your prestige on weaker units that you don't plan on keeping/using anyway.

Rhaeg
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rhaeg » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:49 pm

adiekmann wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:08 pm
That is an excellent idea!! :D I don't know if it's feasible on a programming level, but if so, that would be ideal. Your German core could be limited enough to force you to use at least some Italian units to make up the manpower shortage (if designed properly). That would also mimic the situation better historically. But at the same time, you wouldn't feel like you're "wasting" your prestige on weaker units that you don't plan on keeping/using anyway.
This is actually what Order of Battle did in their implementation of the North Africa conflict. I think it worked great for exactly the reasons you mention: you can buy Italian units without it getting in the way of getting your German ones. I can only see the allied AI approach to be less fun here (cannot play Italians) and nonsensical (as if Rommel would not be able to give direct orders to Italian units).

GUNDOBALDO08

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:37 am

ok I know i'm paranoid, but even in the editor there is no finnish infantry unit ... I hope it is added with the 1939 dlc. One or more scenarios of the winter war only with german units would be unacceptable!

adiekmann

Post by adiekmann » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:29 pm

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:37 am
ok I know i'm paranoid, but even in the editor there is no finnish infantry unit ... I hope it is added with the 1939 dlc. One or more scenarios of the winter war only with german units would be unacceptable!
Maybe they will be included in the next patch that accompanies AO'39?

George_Parr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by George_Parr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:40 am

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:37 am
Well of course the editor doesn't have those units, it uses the same files as the game after all :wink:

PC1 saw plenty of units only be introduced by the DLC they were used in. I don't see any reason to worry about Finns not appearing in a Finnish scenario at this point.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”