Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 7748
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:59 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by Erik2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:35 pm

And simply rename it Combined Tactics for Allied use.

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Posts: 3671
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by kondi754 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Erik2 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:35 pm
And simply rename it Combined Tactics for Allied use.
Yes, indeed :)

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3187
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:17 pm

kondi754 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:39 pm
GabeKnight wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:30 pm
kondi754 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 pm
Perhaps a good solution would be to create a specialization for Shermans that can support all adjacent infantry units with fire?
Cool, I like the idea. And the general mechanic's already in place with "Panzerkeil".
Cool, I like you liked this idea :D
Now, it would be real cool if the devs also thought this idea to be cool... 8) :lol:

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 7748
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:59 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by Erik2 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:28 am

As a scenario designer, I can never have enough of interesting specialisations to choose from. I think players also like to plan the spec purchases when playing campaigns. Bring'em on!

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3187
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by GabeKnight » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 am

Finally started this campaign. The first mission left me completely bankrupt, fortunately there's a nice RP bump at the next scen.

My core selection for the second scen seems not ideal either, I'm afraid...I'm not used to playing this game anymore, it would seem.... :shock: :oops:

Anyhow, I was quite pleased reading this objectives' description, obviously using some kind of campaign variable deriving from multiple scens. And I just hope that (ideally) there're more than three scens with them available...

Screenshot 270.jpg
Screenshot 270.jpg (911.88 KiB) Viewed 223 times

terminator
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger
Posts: 4228
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: the loveliest country in the world

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by terminator » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 am

GabeKnight wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 am
Finally started this campaign. The first mission left me completely bankrupt, fortunately there's a nice RP bump at the next scen.

My core selection for the second scen seems not ideal either, I'm afraid...I'm not used to playing this game anymore, it would seem.... :shock: :oops:

Anyhow, I was quite pleased reading this objectives' description, obviously using some kind of campaign variable deriving from multiple scens. And I just hope that (ideally) there're more than three scens with them available...
What level of difficulty? With a core saved initially?

prestidigitation
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 1:24 am

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by prestidigitation » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:09 pm

kondi754 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 pm
RE: Shermans

I think it wasn't used that the Sherman worked great with the infantry, hence they were the equipment of the mechanized corps, where there were more motorized infantry compared to the 'pure' armored corps of the Red Army. Perhaps a good solution would be to create a specialization for Shermans that can support all adjacent infantry units with fire?
A stat boost to adjacent infantry isn't going to make the Sherman a better pick than the ISU for supporting infantry or T-34/85 for maneuvering around the enemy/fighting armor. The base platform also has to be good enough to use and right now it isn't.

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Posts: 3671
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by kondi754 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 pm

prestidigitation wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:09 pm
kondi754 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 pm
RE: Shermans

I think it wasn't used that the Sherman worked great with the infantry, hence they were the equipment of the mechanized corps, where there were more motorized infantry compared to the 'pure' armored corps of the Red Army. Perhaps a good solution would be to create a specialization for Shermans that can support all adjacent infantry units with fire?
A stat boost to adjacent infantry isn't going to make the Sherman a better pick than the ISU for supporting infantry or T-34/85 for maneuvering around the enemy/fighting armor. The base platform also has to be good enough to use and right now it isn't.
This specs would be for British and US faction mostly where Sherman was the primary tank until the end of the war

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3187
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 am

terminator wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 am
What level of difficulty? With a core saved initially?
Level4 and yeah. Why? Does it matter?

As I'm usually striving for a "Major" win, I'm sure to get the objective after the (first) three scens they're in. But this way I won't notice if there's (at least) one more additional scen featuring the "air superiority" objective to be able to get the commander if I would've failed this objective somewhere else.
That's why I was wondering just how many scens exactly have this objective...

terminator
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger
Posts: 4228
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: the loveliest country in the world

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by terminator » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:10 am

GabeKnight wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 am
terminator wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 am
What level of difficulty? With a core saved initially?
Level4 and yeah. Why? Does it matter?
Just out of curiosity.
Some scenarios may change in appearance by increasing the level of difficulty including scenarios where the AI attacks and the player defends.
Some secondary objectives may become impossible or sometimes easier by increasing the level of difficulty.
This is why it is interesting to know the level of difficulty chosen.

prestidigitation
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 1:24 am

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by prestidigitation » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:37 am

kondi754 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 pm
This specs would be for British and US faction mostly where Sherman was the primary tank until the end of the war
I'm aware, remember it was my complaint post that started you down this road lol. Right now for the UK in Burma the Cromwell is the better tank with same stats, lower cost and -1 CP. Which is historically implausible. Similarly the early model Churchills are given way too much armor for what they were (very much inferior in armor to the late model ones), and heavy tanks in general have more speed than they warrant given the difficulty they had in moving long distances.

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Posts: 3671
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by kondi754 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:08 pm

prestidigitation wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:37 am
kondi754 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 pm
This specs would be for British and US faction mostly where Sherman was the primary tank until the end of the war
I'm aware, remember it was my complaint post that started you down this road lol. Right now for the UK in Burma the Cromwell is the better tank with same stats, lower cost and -1 CP. Which is historically implausible. Similarly the early model Churchills are given way too much armor for what they were (very much inferior in armor to the late model ones), and heavy tanks in general have more speed than they warrant given the difficulty they had in moving long distances.
Your comments about Shermans reminded me of this problem, for sure.
There was a heated discussion at the PzC2 forum maybe six months ago where I defended the Sherman as the best tank of World War II
The Sherman was better in terms of operational range and reliability than the T-34/85, its gun had ballistic parameters similar to the T-34/85 gun as well, because the US Army used specialized anti-tank missiles to a much greater extent than the Soviets.
It was incomparably more comfortable and ergonomic for the crew than the Soviet, but also German tanks, with the possible exception of the Panther G, which is why it was liked by Russian tankers (especially the diesel version)
It worked perfectly with the infantry thanks to the intercom/telephone connection for supported infantry mounted at the rear behind the engine in the vehicles of platoon and company commanders. (idea first used during the Tarawa Atoll landing in 1943)
It also had quite a lot of modification potential:
- heavily armored versions (Jumbo), versions against infantry and fortifications (105mm), versions with a rocket launcher (Calliope),
- versions with a stabilizer for shooting while driving and HVSS
- British version with an excellent 17pdr gun (Firefly), which was basically the most dangerous tank destroyer during World War II, the famous Wittmann and his Tiger I became a victims of these predators :wink:

So I think the Sherman should be stronger in OoB, not only in stats, but also have its own unique specialization, made only for this tank.

terminator
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger
Posts: 4228
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: the loveliest country in the world

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by terminator » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:20 pm

And the price?

I read that a major advantage for the T-34 was its cost. About half the price of the Sherman.

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Posts: 3671
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by kondi754 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:46 pm

terminator wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:20 pm
And the price?

I read that a major advantage for the T-34 was its cost. About half the price of the Sherman.

US faction should have a lot of RPs, so the Sherman cost may be correspondingly higher, the British had a Sherman 50/50 with other tanks, while for the Soviets 1 Sherman unit on the map is enough
for historical accuracy

RE: Cromwell and Churchill in Burma
These 2 tanks shouldn't be there because in Burma the best British tanks were the M3 Grant + Shermans at the end of the campaign
Cromwells and Churchills remained in Europe

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Posts: 3671
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by kondi754 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:52 pm

One more thing :twisted:

Another specialization for the British, British Commonwealth, French, Polish and US factions - "Specialist anti-tank ammunition" (around 43/44) - which can work by increasing the attack rates vs mechnized units (+1 would be enough IMO) Only for medium and heavy tanks + AT SP vehicles of course

Post Reply

Return to “Order of Battle Series”