Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by GabeKnight » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:16 pm

terminator wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:40 pm
GabeKnight wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:24 am
I'm at "Operation Bagration":
You’re right in the middle of it :)
Yeah, you were right. The German Jagd-panzer/panther/tiger are brutal. Not only high direct fire damage and thick armour, but also AT coverage for adjacent units. The scen balance was good, otherwise this would feel quite unfair gameplay-wise.

One of the combined German armour counter-attacks knocked one of my T34's right out of the battle. I mean, even with 3000RP in the bank I won't elite-repair 9HP of damage to a 5-star tank. I'll leave it in my roster and upgrade it to something better later.

Nice battle, finished around turn 30, I think. Combined with the turn income, I must have "invested" about 1500-1800RP to repairs during the mission... :shock:

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:11 am

GabeKnight wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:16 pm
[...] I won't elite-repair 9HP of damage to a (T34) 5-star tank. I'll leave it in my roster and upgrade it to something better later.
Yes. The ISU tanks. Same CP, same cost, better stats and arty switch with only slighter less speed. :shock:
Hmmm... once put into the AT class in my mod I'll have to rethink the stats or costs a bit, I guess... :?

Say, I think that turn two's too early to ask the question whether to take or besiege Riga at the "Baltic Offensive" scen. How should I know how the battle's going after one turn? Ask again at turn 10 or so... :idea:

Screenshot 278.jpg
Screenshot 278.jpg (942.21 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

terminator
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by terminator » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:19 am

GabeKnight wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:11 am
Say, I think that turn two's too early to ask the question whether to take or besiege Riga at the "Baltic Offensive" scen. How should I know how the battle's going after one turn? Ask again at turn 10 or so... :idea:
Anyway the capture of Riga does not give any bonus, it is for the prestige. It’s weird to leave that freedom in a Soviet campaign but after all it’s not an order of Stalin :)

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:50 am

terminator wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:19 am
Anyway the capture of Riga does not give any bonus, it is for the prestige. It’s weird to leave that freedom in a Soviet campaign but after all it’s not an order of Stalin :)
Well, it is a primary objective. And it was a tight fight indeed. Again costly, but what else to expect with an overmechanized force and a "Tabula Rasa" attitude... :wink:
The ships were a nasty surprise. Yeah, yeah, I have been warned, but still... :shock:

Screenshot 279.jpg
Screenshot 279.jpg (997.53 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

terminator
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by terminator » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:10 am

GabeKnight wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:50 am
terminator wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:19 am
Well, it is a primary objective. And it was a tight fight indeed. Again costly, but what else to expect with an overmechanized force and a "Tabula Rasa" attitude... :wink:
The ships were a nasty surprise. Yeah, yeah, I have been warned, but still... :shock:
An optional primary objective...This kind of optional primary objective should influence the path in the campaign tree.

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 am

terminator wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:10 am
An optional primary objective...This kind of optional primary objective should influence the path in the campaign tree.
Yes, and it's a good idea basically, but it would (only) really make sense, if the player would revisit this (or a nearby) area of operations again in the following mission(s), don't you think? Like the final scens in the Sandstorm DLC for example.

terminator
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by terminator » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:40 am

I would have made the last scenario in Manchuria accessible only if Riga had been captured as a reward.

icemo@comcast.net
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by icemo@comcast.net » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Red Storm is fabulous. At this posting, December 8, 2020, there aren't any bugs that I know of and the game plays very smoothly with no lockups or crashes.
I saw a few posts somewhere about what comes next for Order of Battle. Will the Americans and Brits show up in Italy and Europe??? I hope so. OOB is too much fun to not continue.

Sim_The_Sor
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Sim_The_Sor » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:51 am

terminator wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:40 am
Bagration:

The main challenge in this scenario is resource management.
If at first we have a lot of resources, the stock of resources melts like snow in the sun because of the significant losses to compensate. Resource management must be done sparingly. I lost by playing a first time at difficulty level IV because at the beginning I had made expensive elite repairs for some units. I played again a second time doing only normal repairs and I managed to win in the end but the units have lost much or almost all of the experience they have gained so far :(
About the bonus unit, difficult if not impossible to get it in time :(
Funny how often I make same experiences. Wondered If I was supid or so, bcs also on IV I totally run out of cash and lost too much time in little fights and too widely spread units.
But am glad, that others have same issues ^^

JHeim

Post by JHeim » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:01 pm

Tangentially related - The moment that the paratroopers show up, the game says I've failed the "Hide and Seek" mission because they didn't survive!

I've attached a screenshot. How have I lost already? I haven't done anything with the paratroopers yet. I've restarted the mission several times, trying to have them immediately drop and fly and it all leads to me immediately losing the scenario.

Help, please.
terminator wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 pm
daipm wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:22 pm
I feel like such a noob for asking this question, but how do you unassign a commander? I am playing the partisan campaign and fail due to not unassigning the 3 commanders.
Capture d’écran (808).jpg
Attachments
Hide_and_seek.jpg
Hide_and_seek.jpg (981.64 KiB) Viewed 887 times

JHeim

Post by JHeim » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 pm

Update - this is even weirder. I experimented some and it seems that as soon as I attack something with my partisans (like a train or truck), the "Paratroopers must survive" requirement fails and the scenario ends. That makes no sense - anyone have any insight to offer? Thanks.
JHeim wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:01 pm
Tangentially related - The moment that the paratroopers show up, the game says I've failed the "Hide and Seek" mission because they didn't survive!

I've attached a screenshot. How have I lost already? I haven't done anything with the paratroopers yet. I've restarted the mission several times, trying to have them immediately drop and fly and it all leads to me immediately losing the scenario.

Help, please.
terminator wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 pm
daipm wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:22 pm
I feel like such a noob for asking this question, but how do you unassign a commander? I am playing the partisan campaign and fail due to not unassigning the 3 commanders.
Capture d’écran (808).jpg

terminator
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by terminator » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:48 am

JHeim wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 pm
Update - this is even weirder. I experimented some and it seems that as soon as I attack something with my partisans (like a train or truck), the "Paratroopers must survive" requirement fails and the scenario ends. That makes no sense - anyone have any insight to offer? Thanks.
JHeim wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:01 pm

Help, please.
I made a quick test, no problem for me. Do you have the last version of the game ?

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:56 am

I cannot repro this either. In which version/platform is this prob occurring (PC, Mac, Slith/Steam or else)?

Best would be to have a savegame of this.

swdw

Post by swdw » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:43 pm

I have the same issue as JHeim. I repeated the scenario 5 times and got the same result EVERY time.
Tried waiting until they land to do damage with the partisans, but got the same results.
Can post a video later. I recorded it. Or could post a saved replay.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 am

Just a savegame would be fine. Plus info which platform you are playing (WIn, Mac, Steam, Gog, or else)

Pwnerade

Post by Pwnerade » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:15 pm

I'm starting Red Storm. Many of the specializations I purchased in the previous campaigns are gone. And then when I start the first scenario, some that I haven't purchased are present. I don't recall this happening with previous linked campaigns. When I don't import a core, I get additional specializations. Is this supposed to happen?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:21 am

You should get previous specs if you import a core army from an earlier DLC into Red Storm, otherwise not.

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 am

Whaaat? Why aren't my two SU-152 (in arty setup) recognized as tanks? :roll:
Really? Please fix!!!

Screenshot 312.jpg
Screenshot 312.jpg (892.15 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Pwnerade

Post by Pwnerade » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:35 am

Fixed it! I forgot to export my core. I always forget it doesn't do that automatically.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton

Pwnerade

Post by Pwnerade » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:08 pm

I'm greatly enjoying Red Steel so far, especially since there's some amphibious action thrown in. I'm about to encircle the fancasts in the Korsun pocket.

Which skins would be the most historically accurate to use for my forces?

Return to “Order of Battle Series”