Double range hero on artillery

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Kawaleria
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Double range hero on artillery

Post by Kawaleria » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:07 am

Hello

I play Grand Campaign on Manstein level, heading into Poltava 44 scenario. Previously In the Kremenchung scenario my 17 cm K 18 arty got a second hero, both are range heroes. The arty has total 5 hex range and i wonder if there is better use of these heroes changing equipement of this unit.

Its good as it is now i can safely station it in a city or forest , get some entrenchment on air unprotected unit and bomb some key russian AA Spaags and artys. But i wonder if you got similar unit and which equipment is most suitable?

My best choices :

Nblwf 42 total range 4 for shredding arty in close combat defending a city
Wurfrahmen 40 with same purpose but mobile so it could cover almost whole front moving
or maybe I could give it to an arty with base range 1? Like StuG IIIB with good defense....
hmm still not sure and any suggestions are welcomed....

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Double range hero on artillery

Post by goose_2 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:16 pm

My gut says Nebelwerfer or Wurfrahmen...they would best be able to shine with that kind of stacked hero...also best chance to get that elusive artillery 3rd hero
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

captainjack
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by captainjack » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:58 pm

My experience is that 5 range isn't much better than 4 so you can afford to look at some intresting options.
For me, very long range fire is most use when the gun can keep firing, so I'd want 6 ammo or more but would make do with 5, so probably not the wurfrahmen or 30cm rockets.
My first plan would be to turn 1ranged units like stugs into ranged weapons, or (probably better) uprate 2 ranged weapons to 4 range overstrength monsters for counter battery and aa suppression. The 75 is gòod here because it has 110% RoF and 9 ammo, though rockets are also good with 100% RoF and high soft attack.
Later on, a 5 range 17 cm or 21cm can be good for suppressing later t34s to help force surrenders in the defensive scenarios as you can keep out of harm's way and reach a lot of battlefield. Up- and down- grading between the 17 and 21 is quite cheap, so you can fine tune between hitting power, ammo and RoF.

heinzrondorf
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by heinzrondorf » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:07 pm

Personally I would convert it into Stug IIIB. You then get a very mobile artillery unit with good range, good ammo and good defensive stats. I agree that Nebelwerfer or Wurfrahmen would get more kills and the third hero quicker since they have better attacking stats and get more kills but for the overall composition and versatility of my core I think I would prefer a Stug IIIB with that kind of range. A Stug with that kind of range could almost shoot at something every single turn and with 8 in ammo it would still get quite a lot of kills each scenario. I think it would be a very useful unit and I would love a Stug like that in my core.

My ranking:

1) Stug IIIB (range 3 instead of 1 would be a total game changer for this type of unit)
2) Nebelwerfer (the extra range would be very useful since they are not so mobile)
3) Wurfrahmen (it's so mobile as it is so I think it needs the range heroes the least)

faos333
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by faos333 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:21 am

Agree with heinzrondorf Stug IIIB in offensive scenarios and also with captainjack especially in defensive ones.

Also, in case there is no prestige problem, with a little cost the Range units could be also up/downgraded in each individual scenario.

stormbringer3
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stormbringer3 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:10 pm

I've got a similar decision to make. I'm playing the Afrika Campaign right now and my Wurfrahmen just got a second range hero. Would the Afrika Campaign change any of the above recommendations?
Thanks.

TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:45 am

stormbringer3 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:10 pm
I've got a similar decision to make. I'm playing the Afrika Campaign right now and my Wurfrahmen just got a second range hero. Would the Afrika Campaign change any of the above recommendations?
Thanks.
I'm not a big fan of using the Wurfrahmen in AK. Supply in the desert is very challenging and you have a max ammo count of 4. I'd be inclined to switch to a StuG IIIB with its 8 ammo & ROF bonus.

Kawaleria

Post by Kawaleria » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:58 pm

I tested 3 different Artys with double range hero in Mogilev 44 on Mainstein

1. standard 17 cm K 18 was ok hitting targets from long distance, Good thing is you can put the artillery in a city hex and entrench heavily. Russians can not harm it with bombers but are destroyed easily use my AA units in traps

2. Brummbar because of Ammo 7 . Powerful barrage even on tanks, also good defense makes this arty front seater in my defense line. Russian infantry is unable to hit it directly in close fight. Brummbar is also very mobile unit.

3. Wuhrframen , an excellent unit with range 4. The only drawback is it cannot suppress tanks as much as i would wish.

I think now my ideal arty with extra +2 range would be the ones i cannot have : Stug IV or Su-122 :-)

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:25 pm

You can get the +2 range on a StuG IV if you use the all eqp cheat. One way to look at using that is that there are so many mods that alter the stats on units, usually making them better, a one time use of this would not be a game changer.

Return to “Panzer Corps”