Sad that nothing more will go into FOGE or FOG2

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

MarkShot
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Sad that nothing more will go into FOGE or FOG2

Post by MarkShot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:28 pm

The games are good, but still I feel there could be more to them. Yes, the two new titles will add functionality, but it won't be antiquity. Additionally, the new engine for both games won't be compatible with prior content. I would actually pay for an engine upgrade adding better UI and features. Battlefront has gone through charging for 3 engine upgrades thus far.

Like managing fleets and troops are totally clunky. Loading and unloading. But this feature has been in games for a generation already.

---

As for FOG2, we now have 2 very good AIs written for the game by the developer and independently by a modder. They play quite different. Richard's is more conservative and usually has a reserve held back for exploitation. Jack's hits harder and gambols more, but if the gambol pays off it well positioned to roll up the line. How wonderful to have 2 challenging AIs ... it almost suggest a feature that the opponent general might manifest a personality; now wouldn't that be cool? But not to ever be despite such strong foundation and proof of concept; a feature that blow away PDS and their simple system of bonuses and maluses with one size AI fits all.

---

Finally both games are waiting for patches to their campaigns (I know as I found bugs as much as 6 weeks ago in both). We are in the most important purchasing season of the year, and instead of seeing both game polished all shiny to make wonderful Steam gifts to friends trying to deal with the Pandemic of the century. I see some accumulated rust on my favorite titles of which I had hoped to make presents of.

How sad. Rome has truly been sacked. :(

Paul59
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Re: Sad that nothing more will go into FOGE or FOG2

Post by Paul59 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Just because there is a new FOG2 Medieval game does not mean that FOG2 Ancients will never be updated, or that new DLC won't be released. RBS has said many times that the FOG2 game system will cover the whole period from 3000BC to 1500AD, if a new DLC that covers 2500BC to 682BC is made, it won't be for the Medieval game!
Last edited by Paul59 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 pm

It is more that the engine for these games will be frozen.

The only real justification I can see for that is if they go 64 bit.

Surt

Post by Surt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Maybe we can hope for FOGE: Medival?

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 pm

I think that is what is coming, but I wanted a better Empires or Empires 2 of antiquity.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:02 am

MarkShot wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 pm
It is more that the engine for these games will be frozen.
I can only speak for the FOG2 engine, but it will not be frozen. We will continue to make relevant updates to it as things come to light.
Finally both games are waiting for patches to their campaigns (I know as I found bugs as much as 6 weeks ago in both). We are in the most important purchasing season of the year, and instead of seeing both game polished all shiny to make wonderful Steam gifts to friends trying to deal with the Pandemic of the century. I see some accumulated rust on my favorite titles of which I had hoped to make presents of.
v1.5.33 of FOG2 is currently in open beta, and we would very much welcome some feedback on that.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=627
Richard Bodley Scott

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 am

Thank you, Richard.

It's not that I don't believe your or Philippe's next games won't be a master pieces. It is more than just the period, but through owning like 6 engines and 6 overhauls, the period just feels like home.

Like at the moment, I am playing the American Civil War (the first one), I have about 5 titles. I mean there are other great games, but the ACW was such a pivotal moment in history.

So, it is hard to put yourself in a period for which you have no affinity, and it took about 10 courses to have an affinity for the ACW and Roman times.

If you see what I mean.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”