RANGE OF LARGER A/T GUNS COMPARE TO SMALL A/T GUNS

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

cosy657
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

RANGE OF LARGER A/T GUNS COMPARE TO SMALL A/T GUNS

Post by cosy657 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm

i recently playing panzer corps 2 and i think that the range of the 88mm gun is way to small compare to 37mm at gun ,to think a 37mm at gun had problems penetrating Russian T34 at min ranges whilst an 88mm gun had no problems destroying Russian heavy tanks at 2000 m plus. Therefore i was wondering if Panzer Corps 2 Moderators could increase the range to a possible 2 hex range to reflect more powerful weapons, this can also give a possible ambush scenarios .

adiekmann
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: RANGE OF LARGER A/T GUNS COMPARE TO SMALL A/T GUNS

Post by adiekmann » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 pm

cosy657 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm
i recently playing panzer corps 2 and i think that the range of the 88mm gun is way to small compare to 37mm at gun ,to think a 37mm at gun had problems penetrating Russian T34 at min ranges whilst an 88mm gun had no problems destroying Russian heavy tanks at 2000 m plus. Therefore i was wondering if Panzer Corps 2 Moderators could increase the range to a possible 2 hex range to reflect more powerful weapons, this can also give a possible ambush scenarios .
This is one of the big changes that Panzer General 2 implemented over its predecessor. I missed it in PC1. However, this suggestion or question has been brought up many times before even with PC1. The answer I can report to you is this: It's already in effect implemented in the game through greater initiative. Tanks and guns that have long penetrating range will also possess greater initiative rating. In gameplay terms this means that your unit will fire first and thereby receive less counterfire and therefore damage. I feel PC2 weakens the role of initiative in the game over its predecessor somewhat by introducing the concept of "accuracy." However, that too increases along with experience (stars).

George_Parr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by George_Parr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:06 am

There is never a good way to get all units and their ranges right, so some level of compromise has to be reached. In this case it is AT-guns having their range represented through things like initiative, as mentioned above.

Otherwise you quickly run into issues. E.g. the heaviest AT-guns may have fired at ranges of 2000m, on rare occasions even up to 3000m, but if you count that as a range of 2, you also have to look at the artillery. A short-barreled StuG has a range of 1, but its range of fire was up to 6000m . So if the AT-gun gets a range of 2, a short-barreled StuG would need a range of 3 or more, just like a Nebelwerfer would. Then you need to take a look at the proper artillery. A 10.5cm gun had a range of 10-12km, the 21cm gun of 16km+, the 17cm gun close to 30km. That would basically cover the whole map if you added it up.

You can make a case that there are advantages to having different rages for AT-guns, the desert would be a prime example. Lots of open terrain, and an 88 that can take out enemy tanks without the tanks being able to fire back due to their guns not being effective at such ranges. That isn't really something represented in the game right now. But the question is,is adding details like that worth the hassle of having to rebalance all the artillery as well?

scott_mathieson
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by scott_mathieson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:50 pm

maybe could do with more range when giving covering fire but not in an attacking sense,

they would become o/p pretty quick with more range, i remember the first game being all about getting your 88s to top of a hill and then raining hell on the enemy tanks, was all abit one sided but very enjoyable

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”