Allies Defiant Reviews

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Re: Allies Defiant Reviews

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:34 am

I like the new strat bombers, got me two of the "Halifax" for my core.

And now I get how the US faction's gonna fit into this trilogy. Keeping my Brit faction's unit-count low (50-60CP) to allow for a real army with the next DLCs... Nice!

Great DLC BTW! Played beautifully. Nice scens! Thanks. :D

WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:11 pm

Hmm, I´m glad many people enjoyed this DLC, but I have to say that I was dissapointed.

It was too short, both in mission number and turns, too linear and frankly not very exciting. Also very disasapointing not to have integrated the core navy element now that the chance was there.

I also found it a bit too unchallenging even on the hardest diffculty.

Hopefully it picks up later on, but right now it feels a bit "rushed" for such a big part of the early war.

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:57 am

WarHomer wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:11 pm
It was too short, both in mission number and turns, too linear and frankly not very exciting.
At least for me those are not weak point of a OoB campaign. Personally I was happy not to have to spend more than 1-2 hours per scen. Played fast and good and it was fun.

Some of the "larger" custom scens, like many inside the Free-France campaign for example, take like 8 or more hours to play. One scen! If you have the time and energy, sure, it's fun. But mostly I enjoy smaller and faster "snacks"... :wink:
WarHomer wrote:
Okaaay... let me ask you this: Which one of the other stock/vanilla campaigns were really challenging (besides maybe Endsieg without core import)?

cutydt02
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by cutydt02 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:32 am

It’s really hard, even harder than the hardest (winter war, as i always play on 3rd difficulty) because i dont need to retreat so far in ww. Allies defiant isnt the most interesting campaigns but im sure that its not that bad.
Some extremely long campaigns make me really.... sleepy, like us or jap one. I really feel comfortable with 20-30 turn scenarios. The longest ground scens usually rely on treachery terrain not their contents.

WarHomer

Post by WarHomer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:16 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:57 am
WarHomer wrote:
It was too short, both in mission number and turns, too linear and frankly not very exciting.
At least for me those are not weak point of a OoB campaign. Personally I was happy not to have to spend more than 1-2 hours per scen. Played fast and good and it was fun.

Some of the "larger" custom scens, like many inside the Free-France campaign for example, take like 8 or more hours to play. One scen! If you have the time and energy, sure, it's fun. But mostly I enjoy smaller and faster "snacks"... :wink:

WarHomer wrote:
Okaaay... let me ask you this: Which one of the other stock/vanilla campaigns were really challenging (besides maybe Endsieg without core import)?
I should clarify, I don´t like long scenarios/missions, 15-30 turns are the sweetspot for me, but I found most short, small and too straightforward. The straightforwardness was the worst.

I haven´t played much for the last year or so, so I can´t name specifics, but on the hardest difficulty I usually have to figure out the map/mission to achieve a good playthrough, but in this (for the most part) I just read the missionbriefing, looked at the map, bought units and completed the mission in take one.

I dont remember the name of the mission, but the one where you only have airunits and have to protect your destroyers I even exited my aux air (so I couldn´t redeply) but I still succeded in the first try.

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:22 pm

WarHomer wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:16 pm
[...] but I found most short, small and too straightforward. The straightforwardness was the worst.
Okay, you're right there.

But then again - I guess it depends on the player and one's mood - that was rather positive about the DLC in my point of view. I don't mind grinding through some larger, complicated and more intricate scen designs, but sometimes I also don't want too complicated.... and really don't mind shorter times spent with briefings and troop deployment... :D :wink:

w_michael
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by w_michael » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:56 am

I just finished the Resupply Tobruk scenario, and you have to admit that this campaign demonstrates British/Commonwealth tenacity! They took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Time afer time, on their own, without the U.S.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory series enthusiast

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by kondi754 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:10 am

w_michael wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:56 am
I just finished the Resupply Tobruk scenario, and you have to admit that this campaign demonstrates British/Commonwealth tenacity! They took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Time afer time, on their own, without the U.S.
It is very likely that British/Commonweatlh forces would have won the war in Africa without US troops (but with US equipment :wink: )
The landing in Algeria and Morocco was rather aimed at accelerating the end of the African campaign, creating a logistic base for an attack on the soft underbelly of Europe, neutralizing Vichy forces and (in my opinion the most important) training ground for the US Army, where it was to acquire the necessary experience before fighting in Europe

In addition, it's well-known that Hitler always treated North Africa as a secondary theater of operations. He was never able to send enough troops (EDIT. troops and supplies :) ) there to ensure the Axis strategic success in 1941/42 and even less he couldn't have sent enough divisions to save Tunisia in 1943, even considering the lack of US Army forces on that continent
He lost too much at Stalingrad, he needed too many units for the planned decisive battle in summer 43 on the eastern front, and he was too weak in the Mediterranean to organize such a large troop transport operation to Tunisia in early 1943.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”