CtGW Sequel?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

CtGW Sequel?

Post by AEWHistory »

Given the Spartan forum I am guessing I know the answer to this question, but I will go ahead an ask: is there any chance this game ever receives a sequel? I enjoy it a great deal and walks a wonderful line between grand strategy, being fairly realistic, and not being an onerous burden to play. IME this is hard to do. You can have a big, detailed grand strategy game, but it will be so much effort that you start to feel like a logistics officer. Or you can have a simple game that sacrifices realism. Etc. But while this game does a nice job of walking those fine lines, it isn’t perfect. There are some gamey things that kind of muck it up for me. Robotron’s mod sounds like it solves a great many of these problems, but it would be so much better to have these changes properly included into the game or, at least, given as scenario options. Then there are other issues that I am sure not even Robotron has been able to fix (and I say this while it utter awe of the effort put into PotzBlitz!).

I know I would gladly buy a sequel or improved version of this game. So devs, if you’re still out there and reading, any chance of this happening?
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: CtGW Sequel?

Post by Robotron »

AEWHistory wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:34 am There are some gamey things that kind of muck it up for me.
Care to explain what these gamey things are?
Then there are other issues that I am sure not even Robotron has been able
Well, I could answer that if you could be more specific.

There will be no sequel to CtGW. Strategic command World War One is the current WW1 game from Slitherine/Matrix that's still actively supported and since it's only two years old I doubt there will be another new WW1 game for quite some time.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

AEWHistory wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:34 am Given the Spartan forum I am guessing I know the answer to this question, but I will go ahead an ask: is there any chance this game ever receives a sequel? I enjoy it a great deal and walks a wonderful line between grand strategy, being fairly realistic, and not being an onerous burden to play. IME this is hard to do. You can have a big, detailed grand strategy game, but it will be so much effort that you start to feel like a logistics officer. Or you can have a simple game that sacrifices realism. Etc. But while this game does a nice job of walking those fine lines, it isn’t perfect. There are some gamey things that kind of muck it up for me. Robotron’s mod sounds like it solves a great many of these problems, but it would be so much better to have these changes properly included into the game or, at least, given as scenario options. Then there are other issues that I am sure not even Robotron has been able to fix (and I say this while it utter awe of the effort put into PotzBlitz!).

I know I would gladly buy a sequel or improved version of this game. So devs, if you’re still out there and reading, any chance of this happening?
It's been my hope too...
AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AEWHistory »

Robotron wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:09 am
AEWHistory wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:34 am There are some gamey things that kind of muck it up for me.
Care to explain what these gamey things are?
Then there are other issues that I am sure not even Robotron has been able
Well, I could answer that if you could be more specific.

There will be no sequel to CtGW. Strategic command World War One is the current WW1 game from Slitherine/Matrix that's still actively supported and since it's only two years old I doubt there will be another new WW1 game for quite some time.
By gamey stuff I mean things like spawning huge air fleets that can destroy whole economies and armies. It is within the rules of the game, sure, but we all know that the USAAF and RAF tried destroying the German economy in WWII and didn’t succeed. So if this wasn’t doable in the Second WW with much better technology then in the First World War this is just plain anachronistic.

I’m afraid I can’t be much more specific about your mod yet, but I don’t mean that as a slight at all Robotron. All I was saying is that there might be things messed up in the game that modding can’t really fix. However, I could be wrong. For now an example would be how can the mod deal with the players knowing when certain countries are likely to enter and just rushing troops to their borders and stomping them? Italy and the Ottomans can be knocked out fairly quickly because of this. I would think this would require doing something inside the game itself?

I am sorry to hear that CtGW definitely wouldn’t get a sequel. Like I said, I think this game walks a fine line that is truly hard to do and for that reason I like it a LOT. Then again, I have played SC:WWI and it is quite good as well. Perhaps I will see if there is a MP community for that game.

Any chance that Slitherine comes back to supporting the iPad? I bought almost everything they made and I find gaming in the iPad to be so relaxing.
AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AEWHistory »

operating wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:56 am
AEWHistory wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:34 am Given the Spartan forum I am guessing I know the answer to this question, but I will go ahead an ask: is there any chance this game ever receives a sequel? I enjoy it a great deal and walks a wonderful line between grand strategy, being fairly realistic, and not being an onerous burden to play. IME this is hard to do. You can have a big, detailed grand strategy game, but it will be so much effort that you start to feel like a logistics officer. Or you can have a simple game that sacrifices realism. Etc. But while this game does a nice job of walking those fine lines, it isn’t perfect. There are some gamey things that kind of muck it up for me. Robotron’s mod sounds like it solves a great many of these problems, but it would be so much better to have these changes properly included into the game or, at least, given as scenario options. Then there are other issues that I am sure not even Robotron has been able to fix (and I say this while it utter awe of the effort put into PotzBlitz!).

It's been my hope too...
Operating!

It is nice to hear from you my friend. So are you still playing MP? Any other games?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

AEWHistory wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:28 pm By gamey stuff I mean things like spawning huge air fleets that can destroy whole economies and armies.
My mod deals with that issue by introducing a limit on purchasable bombers and zeppelins according to the corresponding techs researched.
Also all offending stats for air units (including fighters) are lowered way down. As a result the overpowered strategic air war and Stuka-type fighters are reduced to way more realistic proportions.
AEWHistory wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:28 pm I’m afraid I can’t be much more specific about your mod yet, but I don’t mean that as a slight at all Robotron. All I was saying is that there might be things messed up in the game that modding can’t really fix. However, I could be wrong. For now an example would be how can the mod deal with the players knowing when certain countries are likely to enter and just rushing troops to their borders and stomping them? Italy and the Ottomans can be knocked out fairly quickly because of this. I would think this would require doing something inside the game itself?
I've dealt with that by giving those nations prone to be blitzed proper border defenses. Also many new cities and border fortresses were introduced.
Players can also trigger diplomatic events and influence neutral nations to join their alliance.
I can't describe all details because there are so many, so why don't you just download the mod and instead of installing it, first flick a bit through the PDF manual to get an idea of all the new features.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

AEWHistory wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:33 pm
operating wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:56 am

It's been my hope too...
Operating!

It is nice to hear from you my friend. So are you still playing MP? Any other games?
Sorry did not notice this comment till today.. No, got MP burnout, was playing as many as 20 MP matches at the same time and loved it, eventually it got the best of me to where I'd almost puke thinking about getting involved in another match. Fell back into playing Empire Total War solitaire mode, which has a lot of replayability. I too had yearned for another official Commander release and had hoped that Robotron had a hand in developing it, even if it had a different theme other than WWI. Had much contact with the owner of CTGW many years ago and when it came to improving CTGW it came down to money, he felt he was losing money and by that meaning he was not making as money from this commander project as one thought he would, so was not inclined to do another commander project, unfortunately.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

What can I say?
y.jpg
y.jpg (25.34 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

Return to “Commander - The Great War”