What are the ashigaru armed only with swords supposed to represent?

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

What are the ashigaru armed only with swords supposed to represent?

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:07 pm

Anyone know what the units of ashigaru with only swordsmen capability are supposed to represent? I refer to them as trashigaru in my head. It's kind of messed up if you think about it. Send someone out onto the battlefield armed only with a sword is kind of like sending a modern soldier out with only a pistol: 'You can have a rifle when you kill an enemy and take it off of his corpse!' Why would anyone actually do that when there's probably half a dozen types of modified farming tools that would serve as better battlefield weapons?

SnuggleBunnies
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: What are the ashigaru armed only with swords supposed to represent?

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:30 pm

Like a lot of armies of the era, Samurai armies had many various attendants, servants, poorly armed followers etc. etc. I think that's what they are. TBH, I think their 33 armor and full Swordsmen capability is rather generous - 16 armor and 50% Swords would more realistic, although maybe making them cheaper would make them better.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

pompeytheflatulent

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:04 am

Hmmm... So they are borderline non-combatants? Why is swordsmen capability priced the same as yari or naginata anyway?

SnuggleBunnies
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:00 am

Is it priced the same? I thought it was a little cheaper... Swords aren't Severely Disordered in Forest. But then again neither are HW.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”