Animation speed & replays

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

AxoLexRG316
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Animation speed & replays

Post by AxoLexRG316 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:36 am

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, OOB game, and more generaly to turn base strategy games... The full-package newb!

I like to play my games, then launch the full replay and record it in videos. I really appreciate this replay function.
However, I feel that the animations are too slow. It works well while playing, but for the replay i just want to keep a general view of the moves and fights, more like a timelapse.

- So far I have tried cranking the animation speed (player&AI) to the max. It helps, but I'd like to increase it more.
Is there a way to edit an option file to manually change the slider value?
I see that GabeKnight mentionned the animations was slower after an update and he mentionned an old option.dat file. Do you have any info about it?

- I tried to edit the effectSequences file to accelerate the sequence of animation, but it doesn't really help with the overall time.
And just deleting the animation doesn't feel the same and it's actually not helping much as there is a small pause instead.

- What seem to actually slow everything down is the "pause" between each moves and animation.
Between each action, there will be :
. a pause (0.5-1sec)
. the movement (fast enough)
. the orientation face to face (0.5-1sec)
. then the animation (taking some time but at least it's entertaining!)
Is it possible to remove or speed up the "pause" and "orientation" sequences ?
I saw in a post for Field of Glorry II that it seems to be a thing, for better a better playability. It's actually good in game, but as stated in the post, it would be good to have an option to edit it (in game or in an option file).
viewtopic.php?f=477&t=89979&p=765545&hi ... ed#p765545

Thanks for reading!

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Re: Animation speed & replays

Post by GabeKnight » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:12 am

The mentioned "older" options.dat file only cranks up the movement speed of the units. Nothing else. And it was only a temporary solution then - as the file was overwritten as soon as you've changed something inside the settings...

You can remove the move and attack animations from the units file. And you can make the attack animations a bit shorter, but yeah, that's about it.

Personally I can't think of anything else to help you out, sorry. You can't mod the options files and everything that's moddable does not help your cause, really.

Maybe it would be best to increase the speed of the recorded video instead... :wink:

PS: A small warning: Using the OoB replay system can lead from "unexpected" results at best to completely broken game re-plays.

Halvralf
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Halvralf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:20 am

Hi. As gabe says ther replay function is not the best way to record. If you reload a turn because of a missclick (or just bad move) the replay will be very strange.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

AxoLexRG316

Post by AxoLexRG316 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:11 am

Hello,

Thank's for your quick replies.
I tried to play with the effect and effectSequences files, without noticeable results indeed.

I finally found a walk around, in case you are interested :
Clicking on the button "Play next action" (on the right of the play button) will start the next animation while the previous is still playing.
The downside is that if you click too fast, in the case of a movement + combat, if the movement is not completed, the unit will be instantly teleported to initiate the combat action.

So I made a simple AutoHotKey script to click every x sec.
I found that 0.65sec for ground and 1.0sec for naval-only missions are a good compromize.
You'll have 2-3 units animation overlaping, which makes it quite smooth but understandable,
Some buggy teleport time to time but it's good enough to have an overall view of the field.
The replays now last only 10-15min instead of 30-40min (just starting with US Pacific, these may be short).

I also added in the script a detection of the "end-of-turn" and "information" pop up windows, to click on ok after 1~2sec.
It makes a pause between each turn and keep a track of the scenario.
But the easy way is to simply deactivate the pop ups (two buttons on the left side of the replay control bars).

The next challenge will be to picture the whole map at the end of each turns to view each turns as slides.
But i may do it only in the future when I'll start Strategic Command WWI, which doesn't have the replay feature from what i saw.

Thanks for your reply and all the other posts

Return to “Order of Battle Series”