need a little SCW advice

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

scorehouse
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

need a little SCW advice

Post by scorehouse »

Toledo how do you get enough forces to defend against the constant attack against your Spanish Allies trying to hold the city do you try an end around, overpower up the middle , etc. also seems when i get forces there. the locals won't get out of the way? should i be playing in defense or hold position mode? thanks for any tips
Waffenamt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: need a little SCW advice

Post by Waffenamt »

If you haven't already, check out Hexaboo's excellent video. Toledo is a few battles in, but it certainly helped me come to grips with the whole SCW DLC. There are 3 videos, all amazing and all highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJMrVULGDM
Waffenamt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Waffenamt »

I might also add that there's an other excellent AAR which covers the DLCs right here by General Tassadar. I like to check them both out sooner or later, especially in the next DLCs :)

viewtopic.php?f=596&t=101339
adiekmann
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by adiekmann »

I quickly discovered (like after my first play through) that it is very important to have a strong attack/support for the south-western most deployment hexes. It isn't so much about defending the town as it is to as quickly as possible attack the source of those attacks (namely the south) as well as possible. And yes, I still push through from the west to clear help clear out the area west of Toledo too. Lastly I send a small party to cross at the northeastern part of the map and then come down. I do not recommend trying to force a crossing at the victory hex a little northeast of Toledo. That AA gun on the hill is really the cornerstone of the defenses there and you will not succeed. Cross the river to the far north (unopposed) and attack from behind after a bit of encirclement.

The key to doing well in all of the SCW really is to make sure you properly support your AI infantry. They are then actually quite powerful!
scorehouse

Post by scorehouse »

thanks for the suggestions
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

One thing I would add about my own AAR mentioned by Waffenamt is that I was probably too optimistic calling the scenario "easy". This just ended up this way as I had lots of tanks and recons quickly pushing to aid Toledo and not worrying about capturing anything or encircling anyone - it was just pure rush. On other AAR where for various reason I had less of such vehicles or there were other limitations to my force, this was not as straightforward indeed. The time limit for not letting Toledo get encircled is not too generous, and if it does get cut off, things can get nasty in a few turns. Overall the time limit for the rest of the mission itself is also on the challenging side.

I'd also recommend Edmon's video series with this scenario. One thing it does show well is how beneficial it can be to use your own air force mainly as support for the infantry and not going for the enemy air force too much, unless there's a good occasion for it. It also shows how even the best plans can fail if the Spanish ally AI has a bad day. :D
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

on round 2-3 there is a UNL-35 closing on toledo from the north-east that will encircle toledo together with the T-28 north-west of toledo. If u can prevent that from happening ur ally should be fine if u have enough prestige to make sure they can reinforce all the time. the resistance in the south is way stronger. take it slow down there support ur allied infantrie a little with and arti or 2 and some air defense. tanks are mostly useless since it´s very hilly. main force in the north-west pushing with a part east then south and the rest south-east. u need to be near toledo on round 2-3 to prevent that encirclement. fighter-cover should be above the named artillerie in toledo until u get rid of the enemy airforce.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”