Requisition Management

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Epperaliant
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Requisition Management

Post by Epperaliant » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:43 pm

So, I quickly realized that in IV and V difficulty you really need to save as much resources as you can, so I have some questions about requisition management.

1) When is the best time to repair units?
I saw that the reinforce cost wildly varies.
Is there a specific remaining units count that gives you the best bang for the buck?
For example, do you repair a unit when it's down to 9 strength or do you wait for more casualties?
I find that having weakened units really push the enemy in attacking it, often making your line collapse...on the other hand I would like to save as much resources as I can.

2) Repairing when next to the enemy
I see that you get much less reinforcements when near enemies, like 2 points per reinforce. Does this also cause a cost penalty?

3) Does the presence of a transport affect reinforce cost? I know it does in panzer corps.
This makes me really wary of taking them on some units that are favorite targets by enemy planes: AT guns and light AA guns: except they have 2 hex movement and really need them. Being constantly bombed means I have to reinforce them very often.

4) AA covering fire for optimum troop preservation seems a bit wonky: I witnessed an enemy plane attacking a battleship covered by an AA gun, a destroyer and 3 fighter planes and I swear it took 1 casualty.
This really makes me wonder what's the most economical way to deal with enemy planes.

5) Same question for fleet battles: while ground combat is so nuanced, ship battles end up being massive slugfests. Besides maintaining optimal firing distance while dancing ships around, is there any other trick?

6) Captured/Rare equipment.
I got a Japanese light tank and I noticed it has that slow repair trait. Beside recovering 1 strength per reinforce, does this incur in a "higher than usual" cost repair compared my own USA light tanks?

7) Finishing a scenario earlier than the turn limit...does this cause a loss of requisition (or maybe a bonus?)

8) Allied requisition, like Philippines' soldiers...is there any point to save it? Does it carry over?

Thank you for your support, as usual.

jn1
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Requisition Management

Post by jn1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:27 pm

1. The reinforcement cost doesn't vary, it is the same (per unit count) regardless if the unit is at 3, 5 or 9. I try to have units at 8 or higher otherwise they are not really fit for battle unless the enemy is already on the ropes. If you play at level 4 or 5 you really need your forces to be at or close to full strength otherwise they are just fodder when an enemy at 12 or 13 comes to attack. But of course, they also need the morale to be high otherwise the strength is rather useless.

2. No penalty cost but it is better to let units repair behind the lines if possible so you can rest them and get the morale up.

3. No, not as I understand it.

4. The cover fire can be a bit weak unless the AA has a lot of experience but every point counts and the real damage will be done once it is your turn. It depends on the campaign but in the German and Russians ones you save soooo many points with mobile AA first attacking the planes instead of your fighters leading the charge. Especially in Endsieg you will bleed points like crazy if you don't have AA in place.

5. Concentrate your fire and kill off enemy ships one by one would be my main advice. Also try to pick off enemy destroyers at a distance, especially the ones that haven't used their torpedoes. For me battleships are a bit overrated; cruisers, destroyers and carriers are where it's at. Submarines are quite useless in OOB so don't waste too much money on them. Also, air power is key in the sea battles.

6. No, but it means that they are less useful since it will take a lot of time to reinforce it so you shouldn't let them lead the charge. I mainly use enemy equipment as back up forces that will not be exposed to a lot of fighting.

7. If you go to the turn limit you get one extra round of RPs at the end that you don't get if you finish a scenario early. In most cases it is not worth it as one single, aviodable artillery hit or similar can cost more than that. So I try to finish scenarios as quickly as I can (aiming to fulfill all main and secondary objectives).

8. No, don't save up on the support forces RP, it doesn't carry over.

Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Thank you, very useful info.

I really didn't expected that units with transports didn't incur in additional repair costs.
For this reason I was (wrongly) very stingy with transports.

What units do you think need mandatory transports?
I think AA and AT guns, heavy infantry and engineers.

jn1

Post by jn1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:06 pm

I probably overuse transports as I normally have them for most infantry given the chance but it is kind of mandatory with transports for engineers and heavy infantry unless you are in a "stationary" scenario. I generally avoid AT and AA guns that are not selfpropelled, I find it takes too long to get them in place.

Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:05 am

jn1 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:06 pm
I probably overuse transports as I normally have them for most infantry given the chance but it is kind of mandatory with transports for engineers and heavy infantry unless you are in a "stationary" scenario. I generally avoid AT and AA guns that are not selfpropelled, I find it takes too long to get them in place.
EDIT: I wanted to to quote your message above but apparently I reported it by mistake, the buttons are so close and I really didn't noticed....I even wrote a reply in the explanation field!
Mods, you can ignore that report, it was a mistake.

Yeah, self-propelled is so much better but now I really need some form of cheap AT.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”