Epic battles not as good as DLC campaigns

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Athos1660
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Epic battles not as good as DLC campaigns

Post by Athos1660 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:18 pm

good !

MarkShot
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MarkShot » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:01 am

Thank you, Paul. (and Richard)

Buttons
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Buttons » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:37 am

Paul59 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:19 pm
What exactly do you want from an Epic battle?

This is a question I have wanted to ask for a long time, but I suspect every person will want something different!
I personally like more upper level decision making. As it stands epic battles are like a game of chess, they require intelligence and thinkong, but it is less about some grand strategy and more “can I get this enemy into a position where I can flank them.” As for how to fix this I’m not sure, perhaps let the player deploy their armies outside of battles where it is thematically appropiate (eg. The player’s army was historically surprised or ambushed) thus letting them take advantage of the terrain or their unit compositions in potentially interesting ways.

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:19 pm

In my opinion, the main change needed for epic battles is to add a time limit. I played one that went 70 turns before I quit (my opponent wanted to continue playing). Several others have gone on longer than I think is reasonable. All battles should have time limits, I don't understand the rationale for not having them in epic battles...

ray552
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by ray552 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:05 pm

76mm wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:19 pm
In my opinion, the main change needed for epic battles is to add a time limit. I played one that went 70 turns before I quit (my opponent wanted to continue playing). Several others have gone on longer than I think is reasonable. All battles should have time limits, I don't understand the rationale for not having them in epic battles...
Absolutely agree - I gave up playing epic battles in MP because of players who run into the map corners or run away to drag out the game, knowing that they have infinite time.

Sometimes I think they want to "win" by making their opponents quit in disgust.

If I want that kind of drudgery, I expect to be paid well for my wasted time :roll:

Return to “Field of Glory II”