Friday Night Fever part 3

PC : Epic WW2 grand strategy game covering the European theatre.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Time of Fury Design

doomtrader
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Friday Night Fever part 3

Post by doomtrader » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Welcome again in the next part of the Friday Night Fever, brought exclusively to you at Slitherine forum.

During last days I've been testing couple of new cool features. I'll tell something about some of them in the near future, but now I must remain in silence. Anyway I'm very excited about them, especially the one I'm going to check after finishing this part of FNF. Maybe I'll wrote something about that tonight, so check out the tweets.

I've been also testing AI behavior, and as my target I choose both already created Barbarossa campaigns. I think it is obvious that the German Panzer Divisions and Corps are deadly for Soviet troops. Nothing can stop them. However this also shows the weak point of Wehrmacht. Slow infantry. Even during Barbarossa, most of the German troops were transported on foot, or of course by rail. At some point Panzers must wait until support will arrive and take over the cities and railroads, which are crucial for waging the war. Lack of railroad connection between the newly captured cities makes the units undersupplied and reduces ability to continue effective advance, by decreasing Action Points and Strength of the units.

At the beginning of the next week I'm planning to update experience levels for all units so it should make German offensive easier.
Here is the couple of numbers that might be interesting for you:

Barbarossa Campaign:
played: 6 times (every time until mid of October)
difficulty: all on normal levels
side: offhands (I was playing Iceland, USSR and Germany played by AI)
best German result: line of Pskov, Vielkiye Luki, Minsk, Bryansk, Gomel, Kursk, Kharkov, Stalino, Rostov on Don
worst German result: line of Riga, Minsk, Gomel, Kursk, Millerovo, Melitopol

South Barbarossa Campaign:
played: 10 times (every time until mid of October)
best German result: line of Riga, Rezekne, Vilnius, Gomel, Kiev, Kharkov, Millerovo, Volgodonsk Rostov on Don
worst German result: line of Klaipeda, Vilnius, Pinsk, Rowne, Kiev, Kharkov, Stalino

Barbarossa Campaign:
played: 1 time until mid of January)
German result: Leningrad - 3 hexes, Stalingrad - 6 hexes, Moscow - 5 hexes

Crimea taken: 4 times total

For three times Italian units were able to handle 10-15 line of front by themselves by very limited (one Armored Division) German support

Interesting thing that I've observed is Romanian armored unit that couple of times was leading in capturing Gomel.

On the image above you can see how well Allied AI is doing during invasion on France. German units are hammered one after another by Allies airplanes and motorized and armored units. Unfortunately German HQ didn't realize the scale of invasion, and still didn't released all available units in the Pas de Calais.

Anyway, this scenario is very very cool when playing in PBEM++ or hot seat.

Return to “Time of Fury”