The Diary of Herr Pferdmann

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 15th 1940

The past few months have seen my forces resting a refitting ready for the upcoming invasion, it was a bold plan and I am honoured to have been giving command of the combined invasion force.

High Command unexpectedly transferred a new Regiment to my command, proof indeed of the importance they place in this campaign

I reviewed the details of new equipment that is now available
Of interest to me was the Bf109F Fighter; Faster and lighter making it more manoeuvrable and also allowing it to remain airborne for longer. This of course comes at a price, the magazines have been reduced giving them less ammunition but even more importantly with the downgrading of their canon armament they have less offensive punch...
Also of interest was the Panzer IIIG; the same armoured chassis but up-gunned, this was an easier decision.

In the end after talking directly with several of my Fighter aces I chose to remain with the tried and tested 109Es, relying on the skill of my pilots and their familiarity with their planes to gain the edge over the RAF. I did however have my Ju87s upgraded to the R model as the extended range would prove invaluable over the English beaches.
I of course also had all three of my Panzer III Regiments refitted to the up-gunned G model.
I also had a sixth wing of fighter assigned to my support Luftflotte.

In addition to my Corps High Command have assigned a Fallschirmjager Division (2 Regiments) another fighter wing (Bf109Fs) and 2 wings of Ju88A's to my command for the invasion. The bomber wings will of course be of great help in dealing with the Royal Navy.
Speaking of navies, virtually the entire Kreigsmarine has been ear marked to support my forces
The Battleship Bismark, only recently commissioned is the linchpin of the fleet (and High Command has made it quite clear that losing her will have terrible consequences for me)
Supporting the Bismark we have:
Heavy Cruiser, the Prinz Eugen (also a new build)
2 Light Cruisers, the Koln and Konigsberg
4 Destroyer Flotilla's
2 Schnellboote Flotilla's
5 U-boat Flotilla's
Notably missing are the 3 Heavy Cruisers that supported me in Norway (Admiral Hipper, Blucher and Lutzow) this is because they will be making a sortie into the North sea in an attempt to draw out the British Home fleet stationed at Scapa Flow so they are not in a position to intervene.

A meeting with my chief of staff Colonel Ax last week changed everything. First off he brought the latest intelligence update. 5 Fighter wings (2 Spitfires, 3 Hurricanes) are deployed in England along with 2 Bomber wings (Blenheims) A force I'm sure in normal circumstances my Luftflotte would deal with comfortably, however my fighters would have only limited time in the air before they have to return to France for refuelling, some good news was that he managed to pinpoint the deployment of the enemy air assets allowing us to take the initiative rather than waiting for them to hit our landing craft and the beaches.
We also monitored 2 RN Battleships (HMS Rodney and Nelson) enter the channel along with supporting vessels (I guess our build up is not as secret as we'd like)
Several more Cruisers have been spotted earlier today moving down the east coast of England luckily we received confirmation late last night that the rest of the Home Fleet has sailed north, my prayers go with the brave crews of our Cruiser squadron.
Colonel Ax also suggested a revised strategy, after much pondering and head scratching I have adopted elements of his plan (including the landing on the east coast)

Here I record my assault plan, the final objective (Oxford) remains outside of my primary objectives as I must wait to discover what sort of Defence the British can mount, ultimately I will assign at least one Division the task of capturing the city. The Fallschirmjager will remain as a reserve force, landing to either support a contested beachhead, to support a stalled offensive or possibly to capture Oxford.

Operation Sea Lion is about to begin...
Bodybag
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Bodybag »

Great AAR!

But why do you write "Gebirasjager" all the time? Its Gebirgsjager, - that means Mountaintroops.

Same with "Stukka",- it's Stuka (STUrzKAmpfflugzeug) or Divebomber in english.

Cheers,
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

Bodybag wrote:Great AAR!

But why do you write "Gebirasjager" all the time? Its Gebirgsjager, - that means Mountaintroops.

Same with "Stukka",- it's Stuka (STUrzKAmpfflugzeug) or Divebomber in english.

Cheers,
Thanks, glad you're enjoynigit

1. Because I hadn't even noticed.....bah how have I gone so long without noticing!!!!!

2. Really? I did think it was a double K....oops

Thanks for letting me know!!!!
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 15th 1940 (1)
The battle for Britain opened with the Luftwaffe engaging the RAF – 2 fighter wings (1 Spitfire and 1 Hurricane) and 1 Bomber wing destroyed

On the East coast the Prinz Eugene engaged a RN Destroyer Squadron causing heavy damage allowing bombers of my Luftflotte and a U-Boat Flotilla to sink the British ships.
My 35th Bomber wing attacked the British Light Cruiser HMS Newcastle causing heavy damage.
The landing craft carrying the 2nd Division move northwards slowly ensuring they remain behind the Naval screen

On the south east coast the Bismark and Konigsberg engage the HMS Norfolk (Heavy Cruiser) already billowing black smoke from an aerial bombardment, a stray shell detonated amongst the Norfolks ammo stores and the ship is torn apart from the mighty explosion
The 1st Divisions landing craft reach the shores of England

On the south coast a RN Destroyer squadron and the HMS Galatea come under air bombardment, the latter then also being engaged by the Koln.
The 3rd Divisions landing craft sail towards the British coast whilst the Kreigsmarine form a picket line to stop the RN breaking through to engage the vulnerable transports

The Royal Navy springs into action, in the east a Schnellboote Flotilla came under deadly fire from what we believe to be Cruiser guns

Near Dover the British army attempts to block a landing zone with Cruiser tanks

In the south 1 Destroyer Flotilla is sunk by Battleship fire and another badly damaged. On the right of the picket line another Destroyer Flotilla puts up a brave fight, engaged by the HMS Galatea and 2 British Destroyer squadrons they take heavy damage but somehow still remain afloat!
The HMS Rodney and Nelson appear to have pulled back and a British Sub group is sighted in the path of my invasion force

Over the British mainland AA fire is mostly ineffective and a second Hurricane wing engaged one of my fighter wings coming off worse
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 16th 1940 (2)
With air support the Kriegmarine have managed to sink the HMS Newcastle and a Destroyer Squadron, steaming north we have located the Heavy Cruiser HMS York, tomorrow we intend to engage and sink her allowing the 2nd Division to move in for landing.

Lead elements of the 1st Division made landfall, tomorrow they will expand the beachhead and land the rest of the Division.

Another RAF Spitfire wing has been destroyed over the channel and the British fleet is further reduced with the sinking of the Galatea and two Destroyer squadrons.

The British subs were sent to the bottom of the sea, permanently. Meanwhile our U-Boat Flotilla's located the two RN Battleships, I have placed highest priority on their sinking to allow the 3rd Division to make their assault.

Over England two more Hurricane wings were destroyed

The RAF Bombers were sent after one of my U-Boat Flotilla's causing light damage, whilst I morn for the lost sailors I am glad they did not attempt to intervene over the beaches targeting my vulnerable landing craft

Gun fire form HMS Nelson sinks a Destroyer Flotilla further reinforcing my desire to see her sunk
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 17th 1940 (3)
Today for the first time in operation Sea Lion we have clear skies!

HMS York was sunk, she was bombed, torpedoed then finally hit by the guns of the Prinz Eugen. The 2nd Division now moves into landing positions.
In the air two Fighter wings engage the RAF bombers, the rest of my Luftflotte Fighters return to France for refuelling.

The 1st Division (with supporting fire from the Bismark and the Konigsberg) clear out the defenders of Dover and the remaining Regiments of the Division now stand on English soil

The 23rd Bomber wing score critical hits on the HMS Nelson (9 steps!) allowing a U-Boat Flotilla to torpedo her multiple times and sinking her.
The HMS Rodney fared slightly better but fire form the Koln leaves her critically close to sinking.
With one of the RN Destroyer Squadrons destroyed and another left in bad shape the 3rd Division has been ordered to begin their landings
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 18th 1940 (4)
The 2nd Division has commenced initial landings

The 1st Division managed to capture Dover and Bexill-on-sea destroying a British Infantry Regiment in the process, a Fallschirmjager Regiment has also landed to add to the Divisions Infantry for the assault on London

A Panzer Regiment spearheads the 3rd Divisions landings, tomorrow further forces will make it ashore
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 19th 1940 (5)
Ipswich is taken by the 2nd Division destroying the defending Infantry Regiment.

A free Polish Infantry Regiment held Brighton, they have been destroyed and the city taken.
The 1st Division also managed to over run Rochester, destroying the British Engineers entrenched there.
With the South East now secure the advance on London has begun

The 3rd Division is now mostly on English soil, only a lone Artillery Regiment remains at sea

On the East coast a British Armoured train blocks our advance firing on the 2nd Divisions Artillery. The Fallschirmjager Regiment comes under flak fire losing some planes and men, I intend for them to deploy soon to support my ground troops on the northern assault on London
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 20th 1940 (6)
The Armoured train and Flak Regiment near Ipswich were destroyed. The 2nd Division will assault Maldon tomorrow and then onto London. The Fallschirmjager Regiment has landed ready to support the attack.

The 1st Division has advanced to the outskirts of London destroying an Infantry Regiment holding Reigate

Southampton and Portsmouth fell to the 3rd Division as well as an airfield, both Infantry Regiments holding this zone have been annihilated. With the landing of the Sturmpanzer Regiment all forces are on the ground
Last edited by Horseman on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 21st 1940 (7)
It went cloudy again today and it looks to remain that way for a time.

Maldon falls with little trouble

Reigate is taken and the Assault on London begins with aerial bombardment.
Meanwhile the 1st Divisions 34th Elite Panzer IIIs link up with the 3rd Divisions 1st Panzer IIIs and with air support heavily damage a British Matilda II Regiment.....those tanks are tough!

The 3rd Division drive on Bristol which appears to be reasonably protected

With previously undetected artillery support the British heavy infantry counter attacked out of Bristol driving back the 48th Panzer Elite Panzer IV Regiment

The British Infantry in southern London launched their own attack but my Grenadiers held firm
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 22nd 1940 (8.)
The assault on North London began today and a British Artillery Regiment has been destroyed

The 1st Division has occupied southern London and slightly further west the Matilda II Regiment has been destroyed

The Siege of Bristol has begun with the destruction of the British Heavy Infantry

Anti-tank guns launch a counter attack badly damaging the 13th Gebiragjager Regiment

another counter attack in north London leads to the British Infantry attempting to withdraw
Last edited by Horseman on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodybag

Post by Bodybag »

Its still Gebirgsjager, not "Gebiragjager".

"Gebirg" means mountain, "jager" means hunter or troops.

Get it?

Cheers,
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

Bodybag wrote:Its still Gebirgsjager, not "Gebiragjager".

"Gebirg" means mountain, "jager" means hunter or troops.

Get it?

Cheers,
I'm blaming that one on it being very late at night!!!!
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 23rd 1940 (9)
The weather remains clear and dry today but there is rain forecast for tomorrow, typical English weather so I am told.

The British Forces remaining in London have been destroyed (2 Infantry Regiments and 1 Dingo scout car Regiment) and northern London is occupied by the 2nd Division. I have decided that they will move on Oxford from the East

The 1st Division has occupied southern London leaving only a small portion of the City not under German control. Unfortunately It would appear that the British managed to evacuate their parliament and Royal Family before we were able to encircle London.
They also managed to capture Reading destroying the British Infantry protecting it. They will advance on Oxford from the south.

The 3rd Division managed to reduce the defenders around Bristol but the City still holds firm
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 24th 1940 (10)
Looks like the weather forecasters got it wrong, today was clear and dry with no sign of rain.

The 1st and 2nd Divisions have begun their offensive against Oxford by knocking out a British Artillery Regiment and forcing some anti-tank guns to withdraw.

Bristol fell today and the 3rd Division drive on Lyme Regis
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

I think it's time to blow the Bugle and call in the Calvary.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

Razz1 wrote:I think it's time to blow the Bugle and call in the Calvary.
Who me or the British?
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 25th 1940 (11)
The skies remain clear today though tomorrow is forecast to be cloudy and overcast.

The Matilda I Regiment along with the Air defence are destroyed around Oxford. I am confidant the city will fall tomorrow.

Gloucester was undefended and is now occupied by my Gebirgsjager Regiment.

Lyme Regis is also captured, British resistance has been crushed across the UK.

September 26th 1940 (12)
Cloudy with rain forecast tomorrow – Not that it should matter, the campaign will be over by then
The last of the British defenders are over run and Oxford is occuppied
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

September 27th 1940
I have the honour once more of honouring several of the Regiments under my command

5 more young men have come to my attention, they have performed with distinction and shall be rewarded
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

And on to the big one.....initial recon indicates that I might really need those bridge engineers to get over the river blocking all avenues of advance at the beginning......though i'm thinking a combination of artillery and air assaults might be enough as it was in the low lands.....I really enjoy this part of the game, mulling over what I want!!!!!

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”