How to install Generic Mod Enabler

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

How to install Generic Mod Enabler

Post by VPaulus »

Download it from here: (look at the attachment in the end of the post)

Install it, but don't run it.

First edit the Icon that GME created in the desktop.
Move the cursor to the icon and press the right mouse button and choose Proprieties.
On the Shortcut tab you'll see an option named Start in:
Edit and change to the local address where you installed Panzer Corps.
Press OK.
(In this case I had Panzer Corps installed in D:\Slitherine\Panzer Corps and GME in D:\GME)

Now you can run the program by double clicking the icon you just edited.
You will see the box below. Just press OK.

After that the main screen will open. Press Tasks and choose the option Generate snapshot of games files.

Minimize the program, open the Windows Explorer and copy to the MODS folder (in your Panzer Corps main folder), the mod you wish to install.
Remember that the files must reproduce exactly the Panzer Corps file structure. Copy all the mods you want.

Maximize the program and you'll notice that under the Available Mods: you'll have the mod(s) you just copied. Now just press Enable Selected Mod.

If you want to disable just press Disable the Selected Mod,and the game will run without any mods.

Tutorial video for how to install a Mod into Panzer Corps game using the Generic Mod Enabler:
https://youtu.be/wQ2yQyNYMms
Attachments
jsgme_setup.zip
(823.09 KiB) Downloaded 14846 times
Last edited by VPaulus on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
naturesheva
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by naturesheva »

Thanks, Pual~! :D

I'll try to use it in my Mod for next version.
AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX »

Great tip VPaulus! Just installed it and its working good so far. Very important is what you noted and that is everything needs to be just like the Panzer Corp program folder. One mod I downloaded didn't have the Briefings folder inside the Data folder (they came separately). Another one, the files weren't even in a Data folder (just a Briefings folder plus a campaign.pzdat and some pzloc/pzscn files), so I created one and put everything inside. Once you organize it exactly like the main folder, everything worked great
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Wow, another nice (and easy) tool to use.

Thanks!
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Just a warning for modders using this utility. Hopefully no-one else will be as stupid as I have been but an anecdotal warning:

The application copies the files from the folder structure into the game folder structure when a mod is enabled. If you are working on scenarios or, like me, a campaign with multiple scenarios and briefings and pzloc files edit the files in the folder where they are copied from and not in the game folders. I made a heap of changes to briefing and other files for my campaign in the normal data\briefing folder. Then I disabled the campaign mod and re-enabled it - all the old, unedited files overwrote the new, edited files. I was not a happy chappy. :(
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

El_Condoro wrote:Just a warning for modders using this utility. Hopefully no-one else will be as stupid as I have been but an anecdotal warning:

The application copies the files from the folder structure into the game folder structure when a mod is enabled. If you are working on scenarios or, like me, a campaign with multiple scenarios and briefings and pzloc files edit the files in the folder where they are copied from and not in the game folders. I made a heap of changes to briefing and other files for my campaign in the normal data\briefing folder. Then I disabled the campaign mod and re-enabled it - all the old, unedited files overwrote the new, edited files. I was not a happy chappy. :(
Sorry to hear that.
:cry:

I’ve done – and still do – something similar to that.
:oops:

I’ll have my mods activated and make changes in the MOD folder and then wonder why my changes aren’t showing up. Lucky for me all I need to do is deactivate and reactivate the mod and the changes are there… But I sure feel your pain
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Yes. I should have warned about that. Mea Culpa.
I too only recently have noticed that feature, and in terms of how GME works, it makes all the sense that it has to be that way.
Drew213
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Drew213 »

Hi i am having issues with getting this to enable the mods i have. I installed it to my panzer folder, the mod enabler w/the folders. I have the mods extracted into the MODS folder. Any help or examples would be great! Thanks!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Remember that the mods must have exactly the same folder structure as the original.

Let us suppose that your mod use an edited "equipment.pzeqp" file.
The edited "equipment.pzeqp" must be in:
Panzer Corps\MODS\the name of the mod\Data

Could you give an example of which mod you want to install?
Drew213

Post by Drew213 »

Yes sir, Got the Long War mod, after looking at it, I reexamined the folder and found i had the wrong data/graphics
jaggy
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by jaggy »

Hi, All

I'm would like to install "Mannocks Campaign Map Pack" using JSGME. After unzipping Mannocks Map Pack, two folders are created "Briefings" and "Data". Do I now create a new sub-folder "Mannocks Campaign Map" (as an example) in JSGME's "MODS" folder? If yes, should I drag-and-drop Mannocks "Data" folder into "MODS/Mannocks Campaign Map"? And should I then drag-and-drop Mannocks "Briefings" into "MODS/Mannocks Campaign Map/Data"?

Do I need to copy all other campaign missions "pzbrf", "pzscn", "campaign.pzdat" & "equipment.pzeqp" from the Panzer Corp folder into the "MODS/Mannocks" folder? Thanks in advance. I'm new to modding and I don't want to mess up the mod installation. Thanks again.
AgentX

Post by AgentX »

jaggy wrote:Hi, All

I'm would like to install "Mannocks Campaign Map Pack" using JSGME. After unzipping Mannocks Map Pack, two folders are created "Briefings" and "Data". Do I now create a new sub-folder "Mannocks Campaign Map" (as an example) in JSGME's "MODS" folder? If yes, should I drag-and-drop Mannocks "Data" folder into "MODS/Mannocks Campaign Map"? And should I then drag-and-drop Mannocks "Briefings" into "MODS/Mannocks Campaign Map/Data"?

Do I need to copy all other campaign missions "pzbrf", "pzscn", "campaign.pzdat" & "equipment.pzeqp" from the Panzer Corp folder into the "MODS/Mannocks" folder? Thanks in advance. I'm new to modding and I don't want to mess up the mod installation. Thanks again.
First part is correct. Create a folder inside the MODS folder and call it whatever you like (Mannock's Mod). Then put the Briefing folder inside the Data folder and put the Data folder in the newly created Mannock's Mod folder. Remember, it needs to be set up exactly like the main Panzer Corps folder (Briefing folder should be inside Data folder). Only difference is that the folder is named after the mod.

Second part of your question, no, you don't need the other folders/files from Panzer Corps. The GME does all that for you. What it does is make a temporary backup of whatever files that the modded campaign changes (like the campaign pzdat file). It then replaces the original files with the modded files as long as you have the mod activated. You may have noticed that there is a folder called !BACKUP in the MODS folder. That's where it puts the backup files. Once you deactivate it, the original files are put back.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
OmegaMan1
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by OmegaMan1 »

The GME program is a wonderful tool. I've been using it to play three separate mods without fear of accidentally losing or overwriting any important files. Thanks for spreading the news about it here on the forums. :)
AgentX

Post by AgentX »

dshaw62197 wrote:The GME program is a wonderful tool. I've been using it to play three separate mods without fear of accidentally losing or overwriting any important files. Thanks for spreading the news about it here on the forums. :)
I, too, have several mods going on and the GME handles them all very well. Only problem I had was with saves. Had to make sure I used the description portion of the Save File so I could tell the campaigns apart and not have the wrong mod loaded. Not the GME's fault, just mine for having so many concurrent campaigns going on. :)
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
OmegaMan1
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by OmegaMan1 »

I, too, have several mods going on and the GME handles them all very well. Only problem I had was with saves. Had to make sure I used the description portion of the Save File so I could tell the campaigns apart and not have the wrong mod loaded. Not the GME's fault, just mine for having so many concurrent campaigns going on.
You are not alone, I had to do the very same thing! Thankfully PzC provides the description field for save game files, or I'd be just as confused. :oops:
grabbysnatch
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by grabbysnatch »

I would like to play the mod campaigns, however I am hopeless with filing systems and backing up and am concerned that I may lose my original game files. Is the mod enabler easy enough even for an idiot like me?

thanks
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

It's pretty simple. The instructions are in this thread, of course. With Red Dawn, I made a self-extracting exe that can be extracted to the MOD folder and then the campaign can easily be activated. In any case, just remember to make a folder structure under MODS (the default name) with the name of the campaign and then the standard PzC folder structure under that:

e.g.

Panzer Corps\ - all the GME files
Panzer Corps\MOD - the default folder for mods
Panzer Corps\MODS\Campaign Name
Panzer Corps\MODS\Campaign Name\Data
Panzer Corps\MODS\Campaign Name\Data\Briefings
etc

Then in the GME click the name of the campaign and enable it. These files are then copied across into the PzC folder structure.

I have made a backup 'mod' with all the standard PzC files so they can be restored easily.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

For Historical Insignia Pack:

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Should this thread be sticky?
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

VPaulus wrote:Should this thread be sticky?
Absolutely
:D

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”