Little help please

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

pocatellodave
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Little help please

Post by pocatellodave » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:09 am

I took Norway with a decisive victory playing at the second lowest level.The only thing I can't figure out is deploying units and what is with the reserves?I get all the core units at 10,and maybe buy a few extra units.I ended up with a couple of tanks for the lowlands battle.I have 22 units deployed and 18 in reserve.Do you use the reserves?Thanks for any help in advance.

AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:17 am

I think you have 22 slots available for deployment and have a total of 18 Core units (all units show as Reserve until they are deployed). If you have 22 already deployed plus 18 in Reserve, then you have 40 Core units (don't see how you could acquire that many in only 2 scenarios). Each time you deploy a unit, the Reserve number and Units to Deploy should go down by one. Looks like you have 4 more slots to fill, if you have the Prestige. Of course, any SE units you get don't take up a deployment slot, so you can actually field more than 22 (if you have any SE units). You can also carry more units than can be deployed, if you like. Some people carry specialty units that they might not use in every scenario (like a Bridge Engineer). Any unused units will stay in your Reserves for use in future scenarios or can be deployed during a scenario, if a slot opens up due to losing a Core unit in battle.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester

pocatellodave

Post by pocatellodave » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:11 am

I upgraded all my tanks and added prestige to get my corps units up to ten.I played all the Panzer General sims,so it is coming fairly easy for me.The game is a real winner for us arm chair generals,and I'm glad I bought it!I'll be up to snuff in a few more battles.

Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:08 pm

What is your actual question, pocatello?

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Reserves are a somewhat under-represented feature at the moment. The idea was that you could have 40 units and only 20 core slots. Half of your core is geared toward open terrain combat with armor, and half is geared toward entrenched city and rough terrain fighting. Depending on your upcoming scenario, you then build your core as you think you will need.

The reserve system allows you to maintain a large variety of units. More importantly than the standard 'disband to make more room' line of thinking, keeping units in reserve instead is a way to preserve heroes, medals, and experience on units that you are putting off to the side for later use. Bridge engineers, perhaps.

Some experimentation on Kiev and Greece were not exactly welcomed with open arms, and created a lot of confusion and actual bug reports, so this feature exists, but currently does not see a whole lot of use. It is however a tool that custom designers can utilize, and something that might come into play in future content.

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Kerensky wrote:Reserves are a somewhat under-represented feature at the moment. The idea was that you could have 40 units and only 20 core slots. Half of your core is geared toward open terrain combat with armor, and half is geared toward entrenched city and rough terrain fighting. Depending on your upcoming scenario, you then build your core as you think you will need.

The reserve system allows you to maintain a large variety of units. More importantly than the standard 'disband to make more room' line of thinking, keeping units in reserve instead is a way to preserve heroes, medals, and experience on units that you are putting off to the side for later use. Bridge engineers, perhaps.
I actually utilize reserves as much prestige allows of course. I usually have more core units then available slots and do change my core composition depending on scenario. I got four paratrooper units for example i utilize in scenarios with victory hexes way out of the way or in else very hard reachable position (Baku comes to my mind for example) but leave them out if the map is more compact. Same with the amount of fighters. I got quite a few of them for the west front but in the east i usually only take a part of them with me as air superiority there is a lot easier to gain.

MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by MartyWard » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Kerensky wrote:Reserves are a somewhat under-represented feature at the moment. The idea was that you could have 40 units and only 20 core slots. Half of your core is geared toward open terrain combat with armor, and half is geared toward entrenched city and rough terrain fighting. Depending on your upcoming scenario, you then build your core as you think you will need.

Some experimentation on Kiev and Greece were not exactly welcomed with open arms, and created a lot of confusion and actual bug reports, so this feature exists, but currently does not see a whole lot of use. It is however a tool that custom designers can utilize, and something that might come into play in future content.
I use reserves like you describe. I may not deploy my Strat bombers in one scenario or I might hold out some infantry in another. I'll also not deploy all my units at start in scenarios where I am invading so I get a chance to create a beachhead and fight the air/naval war without risking losing a units on transports where every unit is equally vunerable.
I've also used them if I lose a core unit during the scenario, the only draw back being they usually start way in the back because they can only be placed in a deployment hex not next to a city where a new unit could be placed.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:04 pm

And that's why it's there. :)

You don't have to use it and you are not forced to use it...
Except I guess in Kiev and Greece where the scenarios intentionally have smaller core size limits than their proceeding scenarios. :P
As we've seen, this idea is rather unpopular, and I doubt we'll be seeing future content along those lines. Core size will stay the same or increase, not ever decrease.

So people can continue use the reserve system if they so choose, but forcing it's use will be frowned upon.

That really is one of the central themes we have with Panzer Corps: Let the player play the way they want.

pocatellodave

Post by pocatellodave » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for all the help.Molve my question was how the reserves were used.I used the best manner I could to get a reply that I could understand.

MartyWard

Post by MartyWard » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Kerensky wrote:And that's why it's there. :)

You don't have to use it and you are not forced to use it...
Except I guess in Kiev and Greece where the scenarios intentionally have smaller core size limits than their proceeding scenarios. :P
As we've seen, this idea is rather unpopular, and I doubt we'll be seeing future content along those lines. Core size will stay the same or increase, not ever decrease.

So people can continue use the reserve system if they so choose, but forcing it's use will be frowned upon.

That really is one of the central themes we have with Panzer Corps: Let the player play the way they want.
I like the scenarios that limit your use of you entire force. You eliminate a lot of smaller engagements if you always allowed your full core to be used.

monkspider
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by monkspider » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:41 pm

I really like Kiev and Greece too. I actually found them to be a really refreshing change of pace. It is unfortunate that others did not feel the same.

pocatellodave

Post by pocatellodave » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:50 pm

I won Greece but didn't play well.Now it's Russia and after only a couple of moves,I have learned what not to do!!!Thanks for the help everyone.

WhiteRook
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by WhiteRook » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:15 am

I love this feature - don't take it away! :D

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 am

The feature will definitely not be taken away, a lot of people have been putting the reserve system to extensive use in the ongoing DLC campaigns. :)

Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Little help please

Post by Muddy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:30 am

Can you swap a core unit for one in your reserve mid battle? I would imagine disbanding a unit would delete that unit from your core completely.

hs1611
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by hs1611 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 am

You cannot switch units in mid battle. The only way to deploy new units is to have open slots, either by disbanding or by losing core units.

Muddy

Post by Muddy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:43 am

hs1611 wrote:You cannot switch units in mid battle. The only way to deploy new units is to have open slots, either by disbanding or by losing core units.
Cheers. :)

Return to “Panzer Corps”