Edited equipment file takes effect in the campaing?

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Edited equipment file takes effect in the campaing?

Post by Uhu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Sorry to ask, but I still don't want to uprage to 1.05 only to test this.
So I ask you: please write me, if with the new version, the edited equipment file will take effect at an already played campaign, or still if you begin a new one?

As for designer's view, it would be much better, if it would take effect in the campaign, like the campaign.pzdat, or the scenario files.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:34 pm

There are no differences between 1.04 and 1.05 in this respect.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:42 pm

I'm sad to hear that. :(

Rudankort wrote:There are no differences between 1.04 and 1.05 in this respect.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Reloading equipment file in the middle of a scenario would be total mess. But between scenarios in a campaign this probably could be done. Would it be enough for your needs?

Note also that it will not be a complete reload of equipment table. I cannot really do that because the core, which migrates from scenario to scenario, is dependent on the equipment file. So, if some unit does not exist in the new equipment table, I have no idea what to do with the units using this type. But I could add new units, or modify existing ones, based on the new eqp file data.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Sure, it would be a great help! The need is only between scenarios - you are right: in the scenario it would bring a mess.

So, as I understand, the changes in the equipment file would not affect the core units?
For example: inf get the value of soft attack 15, than this will be not changed. But when I disband them and buy a new one, it will have 15. Or if one of the unit type will be deleted, but I have one or more of them in my core, than they will not gone. But when a new unit type in the equipment file would be created, that one could be buyable at the next deployment phase.

Pleeeeeeas, give it to me! NOW!! :D (My Precious! :) )

Rudankort wrote:Reloading equipment file in the middle of a scenario would be total mess. But between scenarios in a campaign this probably could be done. Would it be enough for your needs?

Note also that it will not be a complete reload of equipment table. I cannot really do that because the core, which migrates from scenario to scenario, is dependent on the equipment file. So, if some unit does not exist in the new equipment table, I have no idea what to do with the units using this type. But I could add new units, or modify existing ones, based on the new eqp file data.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Or should I send the new equipment file to you? :oops:
(How? On which mail adress?)

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Try to replace your game EXE with this version:
http://www.rudankort.me/PanzerCorps105b.zip

You should see version 1.05b on the main screen after update. It should reload the equipment table between scenarios in a campaign. Let me know if it works for you or not. Don't forget to backup the file before replacing it.

(But you better update to stock 1.05 before you do that.)

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Rudankort wrote:Try to replace your game EXE with this version:

You should see version 1.05b on the main screen after update. It should reload the equipment table between scenarios in a campaign. Let me know if it works for you or not. Don't forget to backup the file before replacing it.

Did a short test. Menu shows 1.05b indeed, and after continuing a custom campaign saved yesterday, but with a changed equipment file done right now it seems to works fine. Personally I find this very helpful, esp. for testing, when you do changes often. So I think it a good addition :)

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Ah, many-many thanks! It seems to work!
Now, I have not to begin everytime from the beginnig if I have to modify something in the equipment.
(Althrough the re-playing is good for testing but not so many times... :) )

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Does it also include the pzloc fix?

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:47 pm

nikivdd wrote:Does it also include the pzloc fix?
Yep.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Rudankort wrote:
nikivdd wrote:Does it also include the pzloc fix?
Yep.
Thanks for the quick reply ;)

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:16 pm

A question to all guys who ask for this change: cannot you just test unit balance by loading individual scenarios of your custom campaigns in single scenario mode? Should give about the same effect as reloading equipment between the scens in a campaign?

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Rudankort wrote:A question to all guys who ask for this change: cannot you just test unit balance by loading individual scenarios of your custom campaigns in single scenario mode? Should give about the same effect as reloading equipment between the scens in a campaign?
Hadn't thought of this yet, but it's probably a good idea, yes.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:43 pm

2 things make me not do that approach: 1. I am trying to account for a particular core composition, including its experience at that point in the campaign, and 2. I usually also want to check that the deployment hexes are working as they should. The first of these is the most important, though.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:03 pm

El_Condoro wrote:2 things make me not do that approach: 1. I am trying to account for a particular core composition, including its experience at that point in the campaign, and 2. I usually also want to check that the deployment hexes are working as they should. The first of these is the most important, though.
Well in this topic we are talking about equipment files specifically, so second point is irrelevant. You don't need eqp file reloaded to test them.

As for the first point - of course it is important to balance the scenario with actual core in mind, but this balancing must not be done by changing unit stats. This is a dead end, there can be many scenarios using the same units, and by balancing one you break the others. Scenario balancing is done by tweaking actual units involved, their placement and experience, initial and per-turn prestige etc. So, I don't see any real benefits for testing unit stats in campaign mode, as opposed to single scenario mode.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:47 pm

One queation, what showed up in my mind: what will happen, if I modify a unit, which is also in the player's core?
Will it happen, that the other units will have the new values and the one(s) in player's core will have till the old values?

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:04 am

Uhu wrote:One queation, what showed up in my mind: what will happen, if I modify a unit, which is also in the player's core?
Will it happen, that the other units will have the new values and the one(s) in player's core will have till the old values?
No. Equipment table is the only place where unit stats are stored. If it is reloaded, all units will have updated stats.

Uhu, could you please answer the question I posted above? Just in case, repeat it here:
A question to all guys who ask for this change: cannot you just test unit balance by loading individual scenarios of your custom campaigns in single scenario mode? Should give about the same effect as reloading equipment between the scens in a campaign?

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:00 am

Sorry, I overlooked your question.
My experiences are the following. There are several causes, why this change was really important for me. It has nothing to do with scn balancing, therefore it wouldn't help to test it as a single player scn.
- It has to do with campaing balancing.
- Changes are not only for campaign balance, but for making the unitsd more historical (availability dates, or if there was too few from a unit than make it unavailable and give it to the player only as extra unit, giving switch mode for a few units, etc.).
- I cannot have everything in my mind. Meanwhile when I working, new ideas comes up, or encounter units, which I forgot to change. I think, this aspect is the most important.
- An additional one at me. While I'm making the Italian Campaign 2.0, I also play it. And I was embittered to begin again and again my campaign career - with scenarios which were done - only because I had to make a few changes in the equipment list, what I forgot. :)
- As the campaign file and the scenario files are allowed to be changed in the campaign (and anything else as I know), it is logical, that you can change the equipment file too.

Rudankort wrote:
Uhu wrote:
Uhu, could you please answer the question I posted above? Just in case, repeat it here:

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”