Whats the fastest way to gain experience for your units?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

antoniocapo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Whats the fastest way to gain experience for your units?

Post by antoniocapo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:15 am

I cant figure out how the experience gain for units works in order to level them faster. I know they get experience from combat up to a level cap. But some of the classes of units gain experience faster and some gain more experience on the first 2 levels (stars). Bombers and artilley experience gain is fast. But heavy tanks are slow experience earners. For example a 3 star Maus SE got stuck on 3 stars the rest of the campaign no matter how much it killed.

The old Panzer General game gave more experience for finishing up a unit than for doing damage to it. I dont think its the same in Panzer Corps.

Also, im not sure if taking losses gives any good experience or less than killing the enemy. I cant find the combat log that states how much experience my unit earned in it last fight either. Or was that in another game/patch?

Read some confusing thread about the experience gain formula but it was too ambiguos and incomplete. I think they said that experience gain was related to how much defense you went up against, but not sure.

Anyone has some tips for fast experience gain?

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: Whats the fastest way to gain experience for your units?

Post by nikivdd » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:26 am

- The first star is always the fastest, then experience gain slows down considerably, especially for the fourth and fifth star. Green reinforcements decreases the experience of a unit.
- Use the units against their favorite targets (for which they are designed for). For example: fighters to attack fighters and bombers, tanks to attack targets in the open, and so on. In their favorite role they can cause the most damage and gain experience quicker. If you can combine that with mass attack (two or more units adjacent to the enemy unit), then you might score even more kills.
- Keep in mind, there are campaigns like the Grand Campaign, that there is a cap on the experience (max exp) that units can reach during every DLC. Once that max exp is reached, you can score as many kills as you want, it will not go beyond that number but kills are still counted towards the heroes.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 am

Best way to get exps. -> always use elite replacements, and let them fight down to strength 5 or 6 before rotating them out (more time spent in the field without risk of signifcant damage)

- BNC
Creator of American Civil War mod for Strategic Command WWI!
Discuss here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504986
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tj4t11z3ttl142w/SCACW.zip/file

antoniocapo

Post by antoniocapo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:31 pm

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Best way to get exps. -> always use elite replacements, and let them fight down to strength 5 or 6 before rotating them out (more time spent in the field without risk of signifcant damage)

- BNC
I was expecting from BNC something like "If you want more experience play my WW1 mod"

ksasaki
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ksasaki » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:53 am

I found that if your delta between defense and attack is greater you gain more experience. ie attacking a 4 or 5 fortified guy in the city will net significantly more experience than a 0 fortification.

antoniocapo

Post by antoniocapo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 am

ksasaki wrote:I found that if your delta between defense and attack is greater you gain more experience. ie attacking a 4 or 5 fortified guy in the city will net significantly more experience than a 0 fortification.
That might explain why my Maus tank wasnt getting much experience. Seems it would pay off to hold on to upgrades until the unit builds up experience. Which might not be a bad idea as it also helps keeping the prestige soft cap down.

I still wonder why the most rapidly advancing in experience units are the Stug 3 and the Strategic Bombers.

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:45 am

From the few occasions I have checked experience before and after an attack, damaging or destroying an expensive unit gets you more experience than damaging or destroying a cheap one.

I'm pretty sure there is some adjustment for your experience and the target's, and there is probably some adjustment for how expensive you are compared with the target. Otherwise a 5* Maus would gain the same experience for blowing up a BT7 as a new 37mm AT gun. This would explain why a lowly Stug (at around a few hundred prestige) gains experience faster than an expensive Maus.

However, that's a lot of "this makes sense" and not much "this is what happens", so I'd be happy to see a more complete answer.

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 am

antoniocapo wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Best way to get exps. -> always use elite replacements, and let them fight down to strength 5 or 6 before rotating them out (more time spent in the field without risk of signifcant damage)

- BNC
I was expecting from BNC something like "If you want more experience play my WW1 mod"
:lol: You will get more GAME experience if you play it - you units in WW2 won't be helped though!

- BNC
Creator of American Civil War mod for Strategic Command WWI!
Discuss here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504986
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tj4t11z3ttl142w/SCACW.zip/file

jaggy
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by jaggy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:46 pm

If your ground unit attacks an enemy ground unit that has not been suppressed (by artillery, air attacks), you will gain more experience, than if you had suppressed and then assaulted it. So if you are feeling lucky, you might want to launch unsupported attack to garner more experience. Don't know whether this works for a plane attacking a ground unit though.

El_Jairo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by El_Jairo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:18 pm

In most games like this you will get a bonus for killing units. So this might help too.
Otherwise I would think that relative strength is also factored in: how much unsurpressed strength you fight against. So using mass attack to make your unit take less retaliation seems to me like the best options if you can't suppress the target with long range fire power.

I'm afraid that my guess is as good as anybody else playing the game. I do think that BNC hint is something to consider, though it will cost some prestige as you need to pay for overstrength and for elite replacement or otherwise you will lose all that hard fought for ewperience again.

MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by MartyWard » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:24 pm

I find that by the end of a DCL all my units that were used with some regularity are at the maximum experience. Unless you have 100 units in your core it shouldn't be hard to have a very experienced core.

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:30 am

I found this link from a few years back.
viewtopic.php?t=26487

No formula, but Rudankort's explanation is pretty clear.

wargovichr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by wargovichr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 am

Play incrementally higher difficulty levels as you get better, more AI prestige, more battles, more kills, more experience.

jaggy

Post by jaggy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 am

If a player wants more experience points in a given scenario (ie. level up), he can resort to farming as in those fantasy role-playing games. The map in a scenario will have major victory hexes (the ones with a gold circle) and minor victory hexes. Before starting a scenario, look for a suitable major victory hex (preferably with no woods, city or entrenchment hex adjacent to it) and ensure that you do not occupy it. If you want you can put an tank unit adjacent to a major victory hex, so that the enemy hex doesn't spam enemy units around it before you are ready. Captured and auxiliary units are useful in capping the VH. Once all the VHs (major & minor) have been captured, all available units should be sent to this one remaining VH. You can then remove your friendly unit cap, and that hex will spam enemy units around it. This is where you can train (level-up) your weakest unit eg. the newest SE unit which probably has the least experience points. If you are careful and ensure that none of your units occupy adjacent hexes at the end of the game turn, that hex will keep spamming various enemy units. Keep in mind, however, that the last VH must be a major VH. Otherwise the scenario will end victoriously but prematurely while you have several potential game turns to go.

antoniocapo

Post by antoniocapo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:08 am

jaggy wrote:If a player wants more experience points in a given scenario (ie. level up), he can resort to farming as in those fantasy role-playing games. The map in a scenario will have major victory hexes (the ones with a gold circle) and minor victory hexes. Before starting a scenario, look for a suitable major victory hex (preferably with no woods, city or entrenchment hex adjacent to it) and ensure that you do not occupy it. If you want you can put an tank unit adjacent to a major victory hex, so that the enemy hex doesn't spam enemy units around it before you are ready. Captured and auxiliary units are useful in capping the VH. Once all the VHs (major & minor) have been captured, all available units should be sent to this one remaining VH. You can then remove your friendly unit cap, and that hex will spam enemy units around it. This is where you can train (level-up) your weakest unit eg. the newest SE unit which probably has the least experience points. If you are careful and ensure that none of your units occupy adjacent hexes at the end of the game turn, that hex will keep spamming various enemy units. Keep in mind, however, that the last VH must be a major VH. Otherwise the scenario will end victoriously but prematurely while you have several potential game turns to go.
And here i came to Panzercorps to get a breather from the leveling grind of Word of Warcrafts and the like :) Nah, joking, I love to level up! I like to farm towns too but sometimes i win just in the last turn and got no time for it.

From Captainjack link:

"by Rudankort » 25 Jul 2011 18:00

Yes, you gain experience for each kill, and the more formidable opponent you face, the more xp you will get for killing him. So your units will gain experience faster if they face enemies with better equipment or higher experience."

Well it appears you have to take some losses to gain faster experience. I was playing avoiding all losses by constantly supressing targets, and thus had lower experience rate. Ok then, time for some banzai charges, BANZAI! :mrgreen:

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:51 am

Antoniocapo has it right.
If I may paraphrase:
You want more experience - kill more units!

Return to “Panzer Corps”