Resolution

“Drums of War” - is a turn-based tactical strategy game boasting well developed combat system and interactive environment, providing wide opportunities for tactics.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Drums of War Moderators

Post Reply
Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: UK

Resolution

Post by Muddy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:29 pm

It looks to be in very low resolution. Do you have to play this in a window to avoid the blockiness on large monitors?

Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Resolution

Post by Vladimir1979 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Muddy wrote:It looks to be in very low resolution. Do you have to play this in a window to avoid the blockiness on large monitors?
Native resolution - 1024x768. You can play in fullscreen mode and windowed mode. Mode change in game --- button "Options".

jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Resolution

Post by jnpoint » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Vladimir1979 wrote:
Muddy wrote:It looks to be in very low resolution. Do you have to play this in a window to avoid the blockiness on large monitors?
Native resolution - 1024x768. You can play in fullscreen mode and windowed mode. Mode change in game --- button "Options".
So this works with 1920X1080 and win7 64-bit? or does it only works with vista and XP?

Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine
Posts: 798
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Resolution

Post by Tamas » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:30 pm

jnpoint wrote:
Vladimir1979 wrote:
Muddy wrote:It looks to be in very low resolution. Do you have to play this in a window to avoid the blockiness on large monitors?
Native resolution - 1024x768. You can play in fullscreen mode and windowed mode. Mode change in game --- button "Options".
So this works with 1920X1080 and win7 64-bit? or does it only works with vista and XP?
It works with Win7 64-bit.

Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: Resolution

Post by Muddy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:32 pm

I really like this sort of game but don't like playing in a window or having pixelated graphics, so I just don't know. My monitor is 1920X1080.

jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Resolution

Post by jnpoint » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 pm

I tried a demo from some months ago, but is the resolution the same in the final version, as the demo? and can you zoom in and out? and change the camera angle?

ichirou989
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:16 am

Re: Resolution

Post by ichirou989 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 am

From what I've been reading, the game is only in 1024x768. So you can play it in a window, or play it fullscreen and have distorted graphics I suppose. With this resolution, maybe it would have been better to release this for tablets instead?

jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Resolution

Post by jnpoint » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 am

From what I have read here and in the forum in Matrix games, it's not a game for me. Sad, the idea was good, but the graphics just isn't good enough.

Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: Resolution

Post by Muddy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:59 am

You can't have a new game with such a low resolution, in these days of widescreen 24" monitors, you will get shot. :)

It's a shame because the graphics themselves look lush.

spleendamage
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: Resolution

Post by spleendamage » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:23 pm

I agree that it's unfortunate.
I play at 2560x1600 and in full screen the game looks very unimpressive graphically.

Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Resolution

Post by Vladimir1979 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Hello
The resolution is low because that is the size of the battlefield and I have made it for smaller screens. The whole battle happens on one screen and does not scroll and if I would make the resolution for big screens the small ones would have the same problem.

Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: Resolution

Post by Muddy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:57 am

Vladimir1979 wrote:Hello
The resolution is low because that is the size of the battlefield and I have made it for smaller screens. The whole battle happens on one screen and does not scroll and if I would make the resolution for big screens the small ones would have the same problem.
I understand. I have a small low rez monitor that I could hook that up as a second monitor, that should do the trick. :)

ichirou989
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:16 am

Re: Resolution

Post by ichirou989 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:20 am

Well, if the game is similar to the demo I played last year, then while the screen res is small, the game play seemed good. I do remember though that if you went full screen in the game that it did reduce the quality of the graphics on at 1920x1080 monitor, so I just played it in a window which was fine. I do feel bad that people are reacting so harshly over the display size and basing their decision to purchase on that. It's not that horrible to play it in a window, and if it bothers you to see your desktop, then just load up some fantasy background like for a screensaver and play the game on top of that picture. Still, I can appreciate the arguments regarding widescreen, since at least in North America it has become a standard since 5 or 6 years ago. Then again, many of us now have tablets and play games on them, and they really aren't too much different in physical size to the screen size of this game.

Of course maybe I'm more forgiving of this sort of thing since I've been playing PC games since the VGA graphics days on an Apple IIe. So while I do love state of the art graphics, pop, and sizzle, I can still allow myself to go retro if the subject interests me. Perhaps the best thing at this point might be to get a new demo released for this version of the game so people can try it out and see for themselves if they can overlook playing in a window and see how the actual game plays and if they like it.

Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Resolution

Post by Vladimir1979 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Hello
I am glad that you liked the game.

jkbrookfield
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Re: Resolution

Post by jkbrookfield » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:30 pm

This is now the second game in a row I've bought from Slitherine with these limited video resolution options.
The first was Piercing Fortress Europa. I am very disappointed. Battle for Westnoth is a much better game with hundreds of campaigns.
It also uses my large screen monitor's graphics capability with huge scrolling battle maps. ALSO...It's FREE!!!!!!!
What a waste of money! I am now uninstalling Drums of War. I used to just buy anything that Slitherine published when it was released.
I won't make that mistake again without a lot more information first.

Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Resolution

Post by Vladimir1979 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:36 am

jkbrookfield wrote:This is now the second game in a row I've bought from Slitherine with these limited video resolution options.
The first was Piercing Fortress Europa. I am very disappointed. Battle for Westnoth is a much better game with hundreds of campaigns.
It also uses my large screen monitor's graphics capability with huge scrolling battle maps. ALSO...It's FREE!!!!!!!
What a waste of money! I am now uninstalling Drums of War. I used to just buy anything that Slitherine published when it was released.
I won't make that mistake again without a lot more information first.
Perhaps reading reviews players, you give the game a chance. Reviews can be read here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.as ... 28&mpage=2

Post Reply

Return to “Drums of War”