BHGS CHALLENGE AAR No 1 - CAN THE NUMIDIANS CUT IT? (Photos)

Forum for anyone to post reports of their battles and pictures, otherwise known as After Action Reports.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

BHGS CHALLENGE AAR No 1 - CAN THE NUMIDIANS CUT IT? (Photos)

Post by neilhammond » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Game 1

A fresh set of rules has got everyone dusting down their old armies and trying them out. And I’m no different. For the BHGS Challenge I considered Pyrrhic, Roman, and Numidian/Moorish. Several posts rated the Numidan list as the worst list in the Rise of Rome book. That appealed to me as a “challenge” so I decided to give the Numidians/Moors a go. After drawing up a list the week before the event, and one practice game, I was ready (or not…)

Looking at the list it was clear the Imitation Legionaries (AKA “FAKES”) were a ‘must’, as were elephants. Looking at the options the Spanish MF employed by King Bogud in 47 BC seemed to be most useful.

So the army was:

1 x IC King Bogud of Mauretania
3 x TCs
4 x 4 LH Unprotected Average Undrilled Javelins Light spear
1 x 6 LH Unprotected Average Undrilled Javelins Light spear
2 x 8 Javelin LF Unprotected Average Undrilled Javelins Light spear
2 x 6 Slingers LF Unprotected Average Undrilled Sling
4 x 6 FAKES HF Protected Average Drilled Impact foot sword
1 x 8 Spanish foot MF Protected Average Undrilled Impact foot Swordmen
2 x 2 Elephants

16 BGs with an initiative of 3.

The battle plan was to create two groups of skirmishers, one on each wing. The FAKES and Elephants would be positioned centrally, on the rear table edge, and march where they would be most useful. Although the FAKES and Spanish weren’t particularly star troops, 32 impact foot bases and 4 elephants meant that the opponent couldn’t ignore them and concentrate on driving the skirmishers off the table.

Game 1 vs Jerome Bodelle’s Selucids.
Operating “in haphazard groups” (Sallust) they would harass the enemy with a rain of javelins, outflanking and surrounding them, but scattering to avoid enemy charges.

Jerome was the no.1 seed, so clearly game 1 wasn’t going to be a piece of cake. I controlled the terrain so went for steppe with a lot of broken ground, which my LH and elephants could operate in.

Jerome had:

2 x 6 MF thureophoroi types
1 x 6 LF javelins
3 x 12 pikes (1 being superior)
1 x 4 cataphracts
1 x 4 elite companion lancer cavalry
1 x 4 LH javelins
1 x 2 scythed chariots

Onto the game:

Jermone planned to delay on his right, whilst attacking in the centre and left. I wanted to delay on my right and centre, and attacked against Jerome’s weak left.

On my right my outnumbered Spanish were screened by my javelinmen,

But they didn’t delay the Selucid thureophoroi for long and they were soon pressing my Spanish hard

The Spanish were dispersed, leaving my right wing open. I then used one unit of LF javelinmen to try and slow down the thureophoroi whilst the rest did a runner for a safer sector of the table. This caused a massive traffic jam as my LF tried to avoid the thureophoroi swinging in from the flank and the pikes advancing in the centre. A few BGs managed to squeeze out of the trap, a few didn’t. I was 2 BG’s down.

On the other side of the table things were going better. The scythed chariots charged the elephants, which surprised me. Jerome had an internet based QRS (from yahoo?) which showed incorrect factors for scythed chariots against elephants. Jerome accepted the situation with good grace and the elephants turned the chariots into match wood. The elephants then turned on the cavalry:

The Companions went down, and 2 BGs of LH slipped around the flank to take out the Selucid LH and the baggage. 2 BGs to me and the camp….

But in the centre…

The FAKES didn’t survive much past first contact with the pikes. I failed to disrupt any pike BGs and consequently I was on a double negative POA for melee. I rapidly lost three BGs of FAKES, to make a total loss of 5 BGs.

Everything was descending on my camp.

But time was called and the game ended. A loss: 6 points to me, 10 to Jerome. Jerome used his units well, frequently using the 2 MU restricted area to limit the options of my more mobile troops.

Game 2 can be found at: viewtopic.php?p=50943#50943
Last edited by neilhammond on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seldon
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Seldon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:21 pm

fun report, I loved the pictures !!

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:53 pm

This is a great report. What I can't seem to understand is how you remember to snap the photos during a game. I have decided to do it several times, and failed entirely each time.

Marc

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Fantastic. Even better than the madaxeman (or at least equal)

neilhammond

Post by neilhammond » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:45 pm

babyshark wrote:This is a great report. What I can't seem to understand is how you remember to snap the photos during a game. I have decided to do it several times, and failed entirely each time.

Marc
Ahh, confession time. You'll see on the next game report that's exactly what happened to me during game 2

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by madaxeman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:58 pm

carlos wrote:Fantastic. Even I than the madaxeman (or at least equal)
I actually agree.I think i need to try harder!

Tim :oops:
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

KingHassan
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by KingHassan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:53 am

Thanks for detaied pictures.
They really were worth 9000 words.

RayDuggins
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by RayDuggins » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:42 am

Neil

great report. Can't wait to see the photos of our battle.

Ray

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:17 pm

madaxeman wrote:I actually agree.I think i need to try harder!

Tim :oops:
It's the arrows and captions that do the trick for me. Because you separate the text and the images, sometimes it's hard to tell what the text refers to.

Seldon
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Seldon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:22 pm

Things I really like about madaxeman reports are the comments by the troops :D and the parenthesis quotes explaining concepts of the rules as they explain certaing actions in the game.

seldon

Maxshadow
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Maxshadow » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:05 am

Thanks Neil. I realy enjoyed that.

Return to “Field of Glory AAR's”