Yours favorite movies about WWII

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Yours favorite movies about WWII

Post by goose_2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:33 am

goose_2 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm
KarisFraMauro wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:46 am
Some movies, like those by David Lean, bear both repeated watching and repeated mentioning :) There's a British movie reviewer I follow a lot named Mark Kermode, I think he's the one I heard about The Burmese Harp from. Come and See I heard about in a movie discussion on the website for The Guardian newspaper.

I like radio dramas a lot and tried one about Stalingrad on the BBC website but it wasn't very good. I think it was based on the writings of a Soviet war correspondent, but the entire first hour (out of four) was well-fed people in Moscow agonizing about their relationships.
I find it truly sad that no one has seemed to capture a decent storyline for Stalingrad. I rewatched Enemy at the Gates recently and was disappointed to find out it was very inaccurate, and the footage I have seen of other movies showing Soviets charging while on fire seemed so ridiculous that I could not continue watching. Why do you think there is not a decent movie on the biggest turning point of the war?
I stand corrected that 1993 Stalingrad movie was bleak and captured the essence of Stalingrad quite well. Very well done, thanks for the recommendation hurly I thoroughly enjoyed, yet did not as it was bleak. As it should be.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

captainjack
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by captainjack » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:40 am

I watched The Eagle has landed last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

KarisFraMauro
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by KarisFraMauro » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:23 am

Yeah I've noticed that one in pretty heavy rotation on the movie channels recently. Haven't gotten around to watching it myself yet. It's not a WWII film but there's a new one about WWI called "A Russian Youth" out. The only review I've seen for it was generally positive, albeit with reservations.

faos333
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by faos333 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:53 pm

DAS BOOT! mine number one

PanzerCro
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by PanzerCro » Mon May 11, 2020 11:53 am

Sahara with James Belushi:)

KarisFraMauro
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by KarisFraMauro » Fri May 22, 2020 7:05 am

Huh never heard of that one. Apparently it's a made for tv movie, but then again Das Boot was originally a tv series itself.

Anyway I forget the title but a couple years back there was a movie about German POWs being forced to clear mines at the end of WWII. Let's see if google can come to the rescue... Ah yes. "Land of Mine" I haven't actually watched it, but these days I have plenty of free time. Let's hope there's a version with english subtitles since it's a Danish movie.

heinzrondorf
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by heinzrondorf » Fri May 22, 2020 9:16 am

I tried to make a top five since it would look nice but there are only four WW2 films I keep coming back to all the time:

Where Eagles Dare (1968) - unrealistic but incredibly tense and entertaining

Battle of Britain (1969) - epic with a lot of attention to detail

Kelly's Heroes (1970) - goofy but fun

A Bridge Too Far (1977) - similar to Battle of Britain above.

There are many other good movies as well such as Das Boot, Midway, The Longest Day, The Guns of Navarone, Saving Private Ryan etc but the above are my favourites.

Erasermarek
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Erasermarek » Fri May 22, 2020 10:21 am

Its

Inglourious Basterds ( 2009 )

The Pianist ( 2002 )

Dunkirk ( 2017 )

Fury ( 2014 )

Der Untergang ( 2004 )

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

The Thin Red Line ( 1998 )

Das Boot ( 1981 )

The Great Escape ( 1963 )

1917 ( 2019 )

The Dirty Dozen ( 1967 )

Stalingrad (1993 ) - German movie

A Bridge Too Far ( 1977 )

Where Eagles Dare ( 1968 )

The Hill ( 1965 )

Idi i smotri ( 1985 ) Soviet movie

Battle of the Bulge ( 1965 )

The Bridge at Remagen ( 1969 )

Kelly's Heroes ( 1970 )

The Eagle Has Landed (1976)

9. april ( 2015 ) - Denmark movie

Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben ( 1959 ) - best movie about Stalingrad

Is Paris Burning? ( 1966)

Bataille du rail ( 1946 !!! ) The Battle of the Rails

Best movie: Steiner - Das Eiserne Kreuz (Cross of Iron) 1977

KarisFraMauro
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by KarisFraMauro » Sat May 23, 2020 5:58 am

Speaking of The Battle of Britain, I was listening to a BBC classical music program that played the soundtrack. They've also got a podcast about the development of the spitfire, not sure if I'll give it a listen or not. I'm a bit irked about a poll (can't find the source but I think it was in The Guardian newspaper) that asked people which ally contributed most to the defeat of Germany in WWII, and something like 47 percent thought it was Britain. Followed by about 30 percent choosing the US, and 20 percent France? Sigh...

Erasermarek
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Erasermarek » Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 am

KarisFraMauro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:58 am
Speaking of The Battle of Britain, I was listening to a BBC classical music program that played the soundtrack. They've also got a podcast about the development of the spitfire, not sure if I'll give it a listen or not. I'm a bit irked about a poll (can't find the source but I think it was in The Guardian newspaper) that asked people which ally contributed most to the defeat of Germany in WWII, and something like 47 percent thought it was Britain. Followed by about 30 percent choosing the US, and 20 percent France? Sigh...
France was defeated, Britain on its knees ... then came in 1941 the Soviets and the USA (Awakening of the Giants)

KarisFraMauro
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by KarisFraMauro » Mon May 25, 2020 1:42 pm

Yeah I'm not so petty as to disparage anyone who contributed (apparently my own country of Canada had a sizeable navy at the time) but it really seems unfortunate how people disregard the Soviet role. It's true their record is more, ahem, "complicated" than that of the other allies but that hardly negates it. Back on the subject of movies, I was talking with some people I know about how great the Chernobyl series was on HBO, and wouldn't it be great if the people who made that did a film on the Eastern front.

Horseman
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Horseman » Mon May 25, 2020 2:13 pm

KarisFraMauro wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:42 pm
Yeah I'm not so petty as to disparage anyone who contributed (apparently my own country of Canada had a sizeable navy at the time) but it really seems unfortunate how people disregard the Soviet role. It's true their record is more, ahem, "complicated" than that of the other allies but that hardly negates it. Back on the subject of movies, I was talking with some people I know about how great the Chernobyl series was on HBO, and wouldn't it be great if the people who made that did a film on the Eastern front.
People disregard the Soviets role because of the cold war. Western propaganda really downplayed their role in the war.

As to favourite war films - I agree with a lot that's already been said.

Saving private Ryan
Das Boot
A bridge to far
Bridge over the river kwai

Honorable mention has to go to Operation petticoat.

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by kondi754 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:26 pm

KarisFraMauro wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:42 pm
You may not know, but Chernobyl by HBO is hated in Russia and the Kremlin's propaganda attacks him at every turn, that it is VERY incompatible with history and this TV series is another attack of the hated Western propaganda :wink:

kondi754

Post by kondi754 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm

Horseman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:13 pm

People disregard the Soviets role because of the cold war. Western propaganda really downplayed their role in the war.
Hi Sasha (or Ivan) :D
As we can see, many years have passed since the fall of communism but in Russia nothing has changed :wink:

Horseman

Post by Horseman » Mon May 25, 2020 4:38 pm

kondi754 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm
Horseman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi Sasha (or Ivan) :D
As we can see, many years have passed since the fall of communism but in Russia nothing has changed :wink:
Huh? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here?

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood » Mon May 25, 2020 5:06 pm

please keep replies and topic on track, or someone will edit or remove posts, consider this friendly advice everyone

Yrfin
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Yrfin » Mon May 25, 2020 7:02 pm

zakblood wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:06 pm
please keep replies and topic on track, or someone will edit or remove posts, consider this friendly advice everyone
Wanna close my topic again ?
Why ?! Why what !? Why not...

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood » Mon May 25, 2020 7:20 pm

no, just keep the topic on track and not let in wander off in all directions or viewpoints, as per rules

terminator
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by terminator » Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 pm

MV5BMjQ1NjM3MTUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc5MTY5OTE@.jpg
MV5BMjQ1NjM3MTUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc5MTY5OTE@.jpg (393.41 KiB) Viewed 4 times

Return to “Panzer Corps”