A look at the new features of Order of Battle: Kriegsmarine

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

plaudern
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: A look at the new features of Order of Battle: Kriegsmarine

Post by plaudern » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:23 pm

kverdon wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:59 am
I tend to agree with the idea of the concept of a stable firing solution. Where it falls apart is the concept that Closing the range does not greatly simplify the firing solution. Closing from 20,000 yards to 10000 yrs greatly simplifies things. It also totally ignores firing ships vrs target speed, which I thing would have been a better way to go. There is a reason most naval miniature rules place higher emphasis on firing /target ship speed than changing of range. also greatly disagree with the fire Primary vrs Secondary vrs AA mechanic. These guns all usually had their own FC directors and could simultaneously track the same or separate targets.
Hard to argue with anything written here, so I won’t. :D
I’ll note that one advantage Dreadnoughts had over pre-dreadnoughts was less confusion for the FCs.
The “I can fire at the Battleship OR the Torpedo bomber” thing is nuts And makes me cringe every time I have have to do Naval engagements. It is also stupidly easy to bait the AI with a recon place for them to shoot at instead of your capital ships.

I have the book your referenced in my library and on my short reading list.
I feel your pain, however, I think one must make some allowance for the fact that this is a “beer and pretzels” game afterall. Yea, the AIs target choice algorithms do seem to over emphasize attacking recon planes when there are more immediate threats present.

Regarding, the reference, it is very informative, but I am not kidding regarding the dry nature of the writing (basically a thesis rewritten as a book). I don’t recommend it when you are sleepy and it is best taken in small doses.

plaudern

Post by plaudern » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:33 pm

prestidigitation wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:08 pm
. . .
As far as the stuff about individual gun targeting, not appropriate for a game at this scale.
Rhetorical comment:
Exactly what scale is this game?

The game employs what Is sometime referred to as a “telescopic scale”, (mechanics at a small scale/tactical, but scenarios written at an operational or strategic scale); I.e. tactical scale used to “simulate” operational scale subjects.

Admittedly this comment applies better to the land aspects of the game compared to naval, but that only makes the rhetorical question more apropos, where the scale is more mysterious.

BTW, I do not necessarily consider this to be a defect for a fun beer and pretzels game.

StuccoFresco
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by StuccoFresco » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:14 am

There is no set scale: some huge scenarios may use a single unit to represent an entire division, while others may be down to battalion or regiment equivalent.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 am

I've created scenarios down to platoon scale. Works fine.
I think map scale is the only one that may suffer a bit as all movement and artillery ranges won't adjust to a different scale.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”