Bru's Scenarios

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Bru's Scenarios

Post by Erik2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 am

I also received the popups om turn-1 and got the 3 Wehrmacht units.

The first I played and only sent units down the western road (and a couple into the forest around the castle from the back).
The 'blue' US tanks changed to standard US and moved out of their guarding positions when the SS troops on the right side of the river got close.
So this trigger works. But I'd like these tanks to be available for the player at least when the US reinforcements arrive. No use having them still on guard duty then.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Finis.
- Bru

westmike
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by westmike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:04 am

This has been on ongoing problem with slitherine for many years. There games are convoluted and buggy as shit. Custom game and scenarios work for some and not for others. every single game I have purchased from them I have had problems getting anything custom to work. I have tried 40 times to load custom scenario's, following everyone's instructions. I have no custom button and nothing every shows up that I can load. on top of that the game does not sync into the proper resolution and I can only access half the screen. Not worth the aggravation.

I hope if panzer corps. 2 ever gets releases some of these head aches are cleared up.

westmike

Post by westmike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:07 am

test (double post?)

bru888

Post by bru888 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 pm

Heh, thanks for your "support," I guess. This part, I believe, relates to what happened earlier in this thread: "Custom game and scenarios work for some and not for others." I love OOB - I have from the start - but I have had to endure much frustration with it in my efforts to design scenarios for others.

The editors are buggy, no doubt. I used to have problems with them frequently crashing until I moved the program to another laptop. Same system: Windows 10, so it had to be the hardware. My only theory is that the old laptop had heat problems in conjunction with this game, but this game only, no other. Why is that?

Then, as I and others have discovered, it's quite easy to corrupt the scenario file with such inadvertent nonsense as placing a wall on the map, then another decoration over it (the wall only partially disappears), then trying to remove the decoration by right-clicking. I literally had to take screen prints of the map of my last scenario and recreate it hex by hex in a new scenario file because although the old one could be opened in the editor, the game would not start it.

And now the latest wrinkle. Two kind test players posted their replays and in both, a major faction that is deployed in the beginning is missing. View the replays for yourself and see what I mean. Castle Itter is about the unlikely alliance of Wehrmacht and U.S. troops to save French prisoners from the Waffen SS, but the Wehrmacht doesn't appear? I labor for months on a scenario that works fine for me but I cannot share properly? Why is that?

That was the last straw for me. The remarkable thing about OOB, however, is that it is good enough to hold my attention even still. But if it remains buggy, I want to be able to deal with it for myself, either working around issues, tolerating them, or giving up the projects. I don't want the additional burden of trying to figure out why something will work for me and not for others because I have posted my work here in the forum.
- Bru

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 pm

FYI: I have no real internet connection at home since beginning of november due to some "differences" with my provider (don't ask), so I'll have to keep it rather brief. Sorry.

Bruce, your scen plays just fine, don't worry. It's just the replay function that's broken. In my opinion it never worked really reliably.

Played the v1.1 of your scen in middle difficulty. I think this may be the most difficult mission you've created so far. On my first approach I've split my forces to go both roads and... failed to arrive at the castle on time (-> defeat)
On my second attempt I've consolidated my forces and scored a minor win as I failed to rescue all of the prisoners. The third attempt did the trick then - at some point even the French unit inside the castle got activated and helped with "clearing" the remaining enemy units.
And I don't think I've lost more than one of my units in any of the attempts.

Minor bug: While attacking the Waffen-SS, I've pushed some of the enemy units onto the "exit" hexes in the east. This prevented those units to be counted into the sec. objective as they have not been destroyed but left/exited the map.

Thanks - as always - for a good mission (and some history lesson)! :D

Screenshot 28.jpg
Screenshot 28.jpg (838.39 KiB) Viewed 246 times

bru888

Post by bru888 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:18 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 pm
Bruce, your scen plays just fine, don't worry. It's just the replay function that's broken. In my opinion it never worked really reliably.
I am about to feel the Wrath of Khan. :evil:

(Not at you, Gabe. Thanks for your input, which is very encouraging about the challenge and gameplay balance aspects.)

You mean to tell me that the replay function itself is faulty? That in the prior two instances reported herein, it chose to eliminate the view of the same key faction?

Wrath. WRATH. :evil: :evil:

Wrath in another way. Every time I think I have made up my mind about how to approach this game personally, I'm wrong. Now I am encouraged again about developing single-player scenarios. I do have other ideas, you know, and I would love to share them . . .

. . . if they work reliably out there.
- Bru

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:09 pm

bru888 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:18 pm
You mean to tell me that the replay function itself is faulty? That in the prior two instances reported herein, it chose to eliminate the view of the same key faction?
Yep. I've tried it with conboy's and my own replay. Both corrupted.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:09 pm
bru888 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:18 pm
Yep. I've tried it with conboy's and my own replay. Both corrupted.
For cryin' out loud. Permit me one of these: :roll:
- Bru

conboy
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by conboy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Bru said:
Now I am encouraged again about developing single-player scenarios. I do have other ideas, you know, and I would love to share them . . .

. . . if they work reliably out there.
Bru, I am mighty glad to hear that!

That replay thingy is weird -- I use it to check my scenarios but sometimes you get infantry tossing grenades 6 hexes and tanks shooting at each other from several hexes away. But I never had a faction not show up on replay.

Bru, I just checked my first playthrough replay to see if it had the problems yours has, to see if maybe your computer was causing the issue. My replay did NOT have the Heer/Wehrmacht Germans, just as your replay did not. But they were present and useful during the game. Also, I did NOT get the below screenshot in the game playthrough and the tanks were not released to me to use (but the replay shows the screenshot and the tanks as available -- not so in the actual playthrough!) I always run through my units with the arrow to ensure I did not leave any units unmoved, and the sentry tanks were always dormant in my playthrough. So there is some serious mischief going on with the replay, not your scenario. I think the only thing that went awry (for me) was not getting the two tanks released -- but I think you said you identified why and fixed it.

Again, I thought the scenario was very good - just quite difficult on the first playthrough, which is about all I will play a 1vAI scenario. Especially hard since Gabe says he got whipped the first time on Level 3 using the same strategy I got a minor victory on. That may or may not be a meaningful data point, along with the rest of this post.

conboy

Got this in the replay but not the original playthrough!
Screenshot 12.jpg
Screenshot 12.jpg (482.87 KiB) Viewed 169 times

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:42 pm

conboy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:28 pm
. . . My replay did NOT have the Heer/Wehrmacht Germans, just as your replay did not. But they were present and useful during the game . . .
Now that I have gotten over my apoplexy, it is interesting to note that the replay is not like a video recording. It seems to take the initial set up and reproduce moves and combat in its own little petri dish. It is not necessarily an exact record of what actually occurred during gameplay.

Creating a replay by regenerating the scenario using recorded setup, movements, and combat results is fine if everything is indeed being recorded properly. If for some reason something is not recorded properly (such as units of a faction not being on the map to begin with, deployed only after scenario start, as is the case here), then the regeneration will probably produce different results.

What makes me say this is that, if you run your replay, pause it, take it over, and then reveal the entire map, the Wehrmacht Germans are definitely not there. It's as if the replay recreates the scenario setup and gameplay with that faction not included, wheras your other factions are there and being recorded in an alternate reality. That is, the replay creates a different version of events without the Wehrmacht German faction.

Something like this is hard to document and reproduce. The developer will need to notice this himself and correct it as necessary.

The important thing is, Castle Itter is not broken. It does work. That's really, really good to know, given the amount of time I spent designing it.
- Bru

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 pm

Those units are the only ones introduced to the scenario by being deployed from the reserve? Looking at your scripts, it would appear so?

My guess would be that the replays don't know how to represent that action (It's fairly uncommon, I can see how it might not have been picked up in testing thusfar).

But, that does mean that it's quite possibly reproducable and fixable :)

Curious Q, why use Deploy for these guys and not Spawn like you do for the others?

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Shards wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Curious Q, why use Deploy for these guys and not Spawn like you do for the others?
Good Q. I had to scratch my head while trying to remember . . .

Originally, I had everybody (Wehrmacht and U.S.) being deployed according to script on Turns 1 and 2 but then I realized that the player may see the U.S. forces in reserve in Turn 1and possibly try to deploy them prematurely (according to the script, Germans and Americans are supposed to meet in the vicinity of Mayrhofn in Turn 2).

Thus I took the U.S. forces out of reserve and made them spawns instead. I left the German module as it was. But deploying the Wehrmacht on Turn 1 does work, as my good buddies have attested (I am grateful, guys) and seen here, once again:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (440.23 KiB) Viewed 124 times

So it's an issue with the replay which caused this kerfuffle, as you see. If you think it is "quite possibly reproducable and fixable," I will leave it up to you to approach the power that be if you so choose. You have the documentary materials right in this thread: replays uploaded by conboy and Erik and the scenario linked to in the first post.

Thanks for your interest in this matter.
- Bru

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:03 am

I use deploy instead of spawn for AI units that I want to assign commanders to.
Also if you want to randomize units I find it better/simpler to use deploy.

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks for the info both!

My guess is that the replay system is reacting to game events blindly and requires the base state of the scenario to be in place in order to create an authentic facsimile.

Given the bug reports, I'll guess that the Force pool that units are placed into in the editor isn't being included in the base scenario (so the replay system doesn't "see" those units and so can't add them to the battle). I'll raise these posts as a bug for the team to look at in due course.

Thanks!

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:50 pm

There we go, 3 of these in the output_log at the start of the replay!

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ActionsNamespace.MoveUnitAction.Perform (.GameState gameState, Boolean checkVisibility, .Alliance visibilityAlliance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ActionsNamespace.Action.PerformWithVisibilityCheck (.Alliance alliance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ActionManager.PlaybackNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ActionManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Also, to get this, I completed Castle Itter (on level 2, so not a particularly fair test!).

Bru, this is really a very very good scenario! Full of flavour and constant action.

My only suggestion for tweaks would be to add supply to the North Eastern most town, it felt odd to have the Germans in there be cut off from supply when on a map edge AND in a town. Also, maybe tone down the aggression on the Austrian resistance? They CHARGED out of the castle and got themselves utterly murdered by the nearby SS once I'd stopped the attack :D

The NE area was great fun as the SS continually cut me off from supply, leading to a big cat and mouse to try and get supply through to my 21 supply worth of troops up there!

(Also, I nearly lost this battle by stumbling into an ambush with a command tank, going from 7HP to 2HP, and then taking another 1HP from the subsequent turn attack! Very Nervous at that point!)

bru888

Post by bru888 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Heh, you know why I missed that town when I was handing out supply tablets? Because it was covered up by the inset map! :)

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (57.26 KiB) Viewed 59 times

I fixed it, thanks. Regarding those impetuous youths of the Austrian Resistance, I'm afraid I was their instigator:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (226.57 KiB) Viewed 59 times

I dialed these back to 2 and 50 respectively. I am trying to get them to attack the SS that manage to get inside the castle walls, but only that, not to roam.

Version 1.3 has been uploaded.

Well. This has gone from a disaster to a mild success. Thanks for the kind words.

Darn it, there I go again. Again! Getting all inspired and reinvigorated, that is. :wink:
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”