Favourite Panzer Corps expansion?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

econ21
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Favourite Panzer Corps expansion?

Post by econ21 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:00 pm

I'm thinking of buying a Panzer Corps expansion and wonder what people would recommend? I liked the base game, but it really took off for me with the Grand Campaign DLCs, all of which I have. The German grand campaign was very immersive, in giving you more variety of battles and my time to get attached to your Corps. The 1942 East DLC was probably my favourite, especially the Stalingrad battles - they felt epic and provided a compelling narrative from storming the city to surviving in its ruins.

Liking the German grand campaign tilts me towards buying US Corps, as this seems to be doing the same kind of thing for the Americans. But I'm also curious about Africa Korps, as the desert battles were fun in the original Panzer General, and the other expansions (Allied, Soviet and Sea Lion).

What did people enjoy most and why? Thanks for any advice!

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Favourite Panzer Corps expansion?

Post by goose_2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:14 pm

I love it all and have bought it all piece meal ever since I joined, and am too completely addicted to the Grand Campaign.

I would highly recommend Afrika Korps.

I am playing a Blindthrough in the West DLC and it is reminding me, in a good way, of the fun and excitement of playing Afrika Korps.

Very dynamic and strategic playing style that I enjoyed very much.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 pm

mostly played German GC, because it is longest, but also like the US Corps, and Africa Korps.. Soviet Corps is my least played..

rubyjuno
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by rubyjuno » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 am

I would also recommend Afrika Corps. The challenges are more varied than the others I have played and there are some clever scenarios.

maxreturn
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by maxreturn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:30 am

AK is my favoite as well. I just finished it with Guderian and Rommel and am now doing Manstein (although I'm struggling a bit - but that's what makes it a challenge). I like the variety of battles and it is short enough that you can try some different strategies and core makeups and see how they work out.

PS - does anyone have an AAR on AK playing Manstein?

captainjack
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by captainjack » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:36 am

Definitely Afrika Korps for me. Variety of scenarios and objectives and a few nice twists make it interesting. It also remains playable whether you prefer armour or air, and if you use any balance of Italian and German units.

Soviet Corps suffers from having little scope for force variations - about the only time there is a real choice is whether to have all IS2 or to keep a few IS1 so you have something to use when the IS2 spend every second or third turn reloading.
US corps suffers a bit from this in SP155 artillery and rangers, but the choice of tanks vs tank destroyer, strong airforce, tac or strategic bombers etc is still there.

IttoOgami
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by IttoOgami » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:01 pm

For me it is also Afrika Korps.
First thing, Gazala is way ahead my favorite map in the PK games. You can try so many different tactics, and win with all of them.
I think also, of all campaigns the scripted events work best here.
Then I prefer large but not too crowded maps. Most AK Scenarios are set between 1941 to 1943 which is my favorite timetable regarding the equipment. Germany still has the upper hand is in the equipment but the units are not so overpowered as Tiger/Tiger II and so on. Unless the 1944/1945 you can lose good units and still win in AK.

Second place for me is U.S.Corps. The only downer is that you have to play with the same equipment for such a long time, but it has very good maps.
Third is a tie between Allied Corps and Sealion. Sealion has also very good maps but I don't like mainly fictional campaigns for WW II games.

Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Panzerpimp » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Afrika Korps. It's hardcore. Other campigns are also good, but AK is the most interesting/challenging.
Make love, not war.

huckc
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by huckc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:02 pm

In no particular order:

Afrika Korps
  • North Africa, enough said.
  • Extremely fun scenarios, such as Malta.
  • Extremely challenging.
  • Heavily scripted
Grand Campaign East
  • Lots of content and battles I've never learned about before
  • Interesting finale, a nice thank you.
Grand Campaign West
  • Lots of content
  • Fun to fight against your own side once in a while
  • The what-if scenarios at the end are well done and make sense
US Corps
  • I'm American so the home-team bias in effect and being able to connect with my brave ancestors.
  • High ammo units making your life a lot easier.
  • Fun strategic bombers with high ground defense and fuel. Omnipotent almost.
  • Lots of amphibious landing scenarios which are designed to be fun and tactically interesting.
  • Hellcats, fun and tactically very useful seven movement units.
  • Powerful all-rounder infantry: Rangers.
  • Lots of North Africa stuff, inherently fun due to multiple factors such as clear weather almost always.
  • The biggest carrot in the game IMO, Pershings.

Return to “Panzer Corps”