Beginner's Guide Video Series

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Beginner's Guide Video Series

Post by MarkShot » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:49 am

I took a pair of Indian archers into a Macedonian army in two fights.

Now, during the first fight, I thought they were great due to their numbers and that they bring down a deluge of arrows.

But in the second fight, I discovered that they don't know how to evade ... idiots ... like it takes professional military training to learn how to run away!

---

My question is there a correct way to use Indian archers?

Thanks.

springel
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by springel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:22 pm

I remember from other wargames that Indian Archers had large swords to fight in melee and were not meant to act like skirmishers but to fight in formation.

Geffalrus
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Geffalrus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:43 pm

MarkShot wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:49 am
I took a pair of Indian archers into a Macedonian army in two fights.

Now, during the first fight, I thought they were great due to their numbers and that they bring down a deluge of arrows.

But in the second fight, I discovered that they don't know how to evade ... idiots ... like it takes professional military training to learn how to run away!

---

My question is there a correct way to use Indian archers?

Thanks.
Not sure if anyone answered this for you outside the forum, but Indian Archers fight in a formation and don't evade because they're a form of medium infantry (like Thureos/Italian Foot/etc), not light infantry. They deal more damage at range than your 30 point skirmish archer - AND - they can flank infantry to cause an auto-cohesion drop. They will, however, get melted in melee when facing dedicated melee units. Not only do they lack POA, but they also take an additional -1 to cohesion rolls when engaged in melee with most units (I believe.....).

So in summary, compared to light archers, they do more damage and have some flanking utility vs. heavy/medium infantry. However, they are less mobile and just about as vulnerable in melee to solid melee infantry and cavalry units. If you can protect them with heavy units and/or terrain, they can be devastating. A couple stationary shooting enemy skirmishers can drive them from the field. They're situationally useful, provided you keep them safe.

The goal of any competent enemy will be engaging them in melee ASAP. If they can, you'll be in trouble.

vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by vakarr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 am

Indian archers come in two forms, the light infantry and the massed archers. The light archers can skirmish but they can't do a lot of things. Massed archers shoot at long range with the equivalent effect of light archers at short range, so unlike light archers their fire can be quite effective even at a range of four squares. Having massed archers gives you the initiative as your opponent must try to come to grips with them as soon as possible or be shot to bits. It means that if there are any good defensive features on the battlefield such as a stream or a hill your opponent won't get any value from occupying them. Massed archers can be moved up to that feature two squares away and destroy anything on it without charging it - which other troops would have to do, possibly at a significant disadvantage. This means your opponent must act aggressively to win and will not gain the full value from that hill or stream. You can add artillery fire to make the archery even more effective, as the artillery can shoot over the archers and cause an additional automatic -1 on cohesion tests from shooting. Archers love hills covered in rough terrain. The ideal situation is a hill with steep flanks and rough terrain on top, unless you want to put your archers in ranks. On a hill with rough or open terrain, you could put archers on different levels and combine their shooting at whatever approaches, to devastating effect - they can shoot over one another in that situation.

Massed archers are vulnerable to almost any average or better infantry but they do have some staying power due to their numbers and as a previous post suggested, can still charge an enemy in the flank and cause a cohesion drop, unlike light archers, which can only do that in special circumstances (other light infantry, or in difficult terrain etc). They are quite good at holding difficult terrain. Remember that although they don't possess any armour they can get some cover in woods and built up areas. In an Indian army you also get Indian "close fighters" who have swords and can use them quite well despite only being medium infantry.

GeneralKostas
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by GeneralKostas » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:48 pm

vakarr wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 am
Indian archers come in two forms, the light infantry and the massed archers. The light archers can skirmish but they can't do a lot of things. Massed archers shoot at long range with the equivalent effect of light archers at short range, so unlike light archers their fire can be quite effective even at a range of four squares. Having massed archers gives you the initiative as your opponent must try to come to grips with them as soon as possible or be shot to bits. It means that if there are any good defensive features on the battlefield such as a stream or a hill your opponent won't get any value from occupying them. Massed archers can be moved up to that feature two squares away and destroy anything on it without charging it - which other troops would have to do, possibly at a significant disadvantage. This means your opponent must act aggressively to win and will not gain the full value from that hill or stream. You can add artillery fire to make the archery even more effective, as the artillery can shoot over the archers and cause an additional automatic -1 on cohesion tests from shooting. Archers love hills covered in rough terrain. The ideal situation is a hill with steep flanks and rough terrain on top, unless you want to put your archers in ranks. On a hill with rough or open terrain, you could put archers on different levels and combine their shooting at whatever approaches, to devastating effect - they can shoot over one another in that situation.

Massed archers are vulnerable to almost any average or better infantry but they do have some staying power due to their numbers and as a previous post suggested, can still charge an enemy in the flank and cause a cohesion drop, unlike light archers, which can only do that in special circumstances (other light infantry, or in difficult terrain etc). They are quite good at holding difficult terrain. Remember that although they don't possess any armour they can get some cover in woods and built up areas. In an Indian army you also get Indian "close fighters" who have swords and can use them quite well despite only being medium infantry.
Great post!!! It is the difference between bowmen and light foot (skirmishers). Bowmen are massed archers with 480 unit strength equal with an medium foot unit. Light archers have 240 unit strength.
indian archers.png
indian archers.png (71.47 KiB) Viewed 39 times
indian forest tribesmen.png
indian forest tribesmen.png (74.97 KiB) Viewed 39 times

Return to “Field of Glory II”