SE Unit cut-off

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

AnalogGamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

SE Unit cut-off

Post by AnalogGamer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Greetings all,

Started playing PC again after a hiatus. Playing the vanilla core game.

In all my previous campaigns, I get my three SE units(always panzers through re-load) in my first three battles.

For the first time in my PC career, I lost an SE unit. Stuck a 5 strength Panzer in London next to a pair of 12 strength troops, without arty back-up. Forgot to move the tank back and forgot to move art up. Took my licks like a man, figuring the decisive would give me another SE.

Wrong.

I saved just before ending the decisive victory turn. Re-loaded multiple times at the Barbarossa screen. No SE of any kind.

So, my question to the community is... Is there a cut-off in the campaign, after which SE units are no longer awarded? If so, which battle is it please?

Should I keep throwing quarters in the slot machine? Go back to the beginning of London '40(shudders)? Just push on without my precious 3rd camo Panzer?

Thanks for your attention...

AnalogGamer

Re: SE Unit cut-off

Post by AnalogGamer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:34 pm

MY bad. Somehow I have the "reform" function turned on. I did an inventory of my units at the Barbarossa start screen... and there it was. Zero strength and waiting to be re-fit.

Pardon me while I go slap my forehead...

captainjack
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by captainjack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:55 pm

I recall one game where an SE unit was destroyed, and I was awarded an SE unit in the next scenario. I was able to reform the destroyed one and ended up with one SE unit over the usual limit. It appears that 0 strength SE units aren't counted when the AI determines whether you can be awarded an extra one. And of course when the SE unit allowance increased, I was already at the limit so it's only a short-term effect.

Also, I wouldn't recommend this as a deliberate strategy as the extra unit didn't compensate for the loss of 3 or 4 stars of experience, and anyway even if you do have a vacant slot, there is only a 30% chance of getting an SE unit, and the AI doesn't care how many you have already been awarded - I have a game in early 1940 and have only just been awarded my second SE unit although the allowance in 39 is two and 3 in 1940.

AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 pm

I'm a gamey bastitch when it comes to my SEs. I save at the decisive, and re-load at the beginning of the next until I get my SE Panzer. None of this Infanterie or Grenadier stuff for me. :) My boys work hard for that unit and they are going to get it.

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:06 pm

I believe the maximum number of SE units is 3

Return to “Panzer Corps”