Spanish Civil War Mod (v0.15)

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

LNDavoust
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Spanish Civil War Mod (v0.15)

Post by LNDavoust » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Yep, maybe the grey texture is slightly blue-ish and the St Andrew Cross (the black cross in the rudder) is not as clear as it should be (it's clearer in the He 51) but i have to confess i'm pretty satisfied with my Bf 109 B :)

Thanks, Terminator! 8)

JB72
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JB72 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:53 am

Really nice textures !!!
Its possible to use them also as new skins for the planes and use also the old ones ? Maybee in an special sub folder in the texture folder ?
Than I like to work also on some german "Legion Condor" textures - my grandfather were there. But I dont find any plane textures in the game data folders. Where do you get that ?

LNDavoust
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by LNDavoust » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:23 pm

JB72 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:53 am
Really nice textures !!!
Its possible to use them also as new skins for the planes and use also the old ones ? Maybee in an special sub folder in the texture folder ?
Than I like to work also on some german "Legion Condor" textures - my grandfather were there. But I dont find any plane textures in the game data folders. Where do you get that ?
Thanks JB72 :)

As far as I know (i'm a complete noob), you have two options to generate new units with new graphical appearences for your mod:

1) You can replace one pre-existing unit from the vanilla game. In that case, you rename the unit (in the english_mod.txt file) and create a tga file with the new texture for the Units/Textures folfer. The new unit will reuse the 3d model of the original unit but "painted" with the new texture. Keep in mind that in this case, you are losing the original unit for your mod. For example, for the nationalist He 51 i used the chinese gloster gladiator unit as a base, and I won't be able to use that particular gloster for my mod (not a big lose in this case, since i don't forsee chinese planes over Spain in the mod :) ).

2) Or, if you have a 3d model for the unit you want to create, you will have to put the file the Units folder in a version the program can understand, and also a texture file as indicated above. In this case you don't overwrite any vanilla unit (losing it in the process) but the tricky part it's to find the 3d file/convert it . For the bf109, anyway, you are quite lucky since in the Battle of Britain Mod the devs left us the file (that's the one i used).

So basically that's it. I have no idea about the use of subfolders, so maybe you can illuminate me about that particular point :)

JB72
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JB72 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:43 pm

So basically that's it. I have no idea about the use of subfolders, so maybe you can illuminate me about that particular point
I dont known anything about that - but would be nice to use both units - the original and your mod textured unit. Perhaps the developers can help here with this question ? It should be possible I think.

JB72
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JB72 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:06 am

The developers do not answer ?

LNDavoust
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by LNDavoust » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:23 pm

I don't know how much time have you been in the forum, JB, but the devs don't usually answer modding questions directly, i'm afraid :)

And now, something completely different.
-
Like in a real war, while creating a mod, sometimes you win, and others you lose; and today i didn't win :( So came with me to know my sad story.

I spent my "modding hours" yesterday trying to fix the uniform of my infantry units. The variety of colours in uniforms in the Spanish Civ War is astonishing in both sides considering the evolution during the war, the presence of a lot of irregular militiamen and because of the several factions inside each side.

https://historiayguerra.net/2015/05/15/ ... -nacional/
https://historiayguerra.net/2015/05/15/ ... publicano/

At the end of the day I choose to pick a single colour for each side, imitating what OoB does with the big players (black to the germans, grey to the italians, green to the yankees, brown to the soviets...). Although not very realistic, it's a simple and smart solution that i like. It also respects my general idea that TSP should be as near as a vanilla DLC as possible.

So i decided to use clear green for the nationalists and brown for the republicans. Let's talk about the first ones.

Among the vanilla units, the dutch infantry has a similar appearance. It is also a good candidate as I don't mind losing the vanilla unit for my mod since i dont think a dutch intervention is very likely in the mod :) But I tried to change a couple of things. The first one is the hat, that i dislike. The second is the green itself, that i would prefer to be a bit more vivid.

But after playing with the texture during i couple of hours, i have to admit i only could modify the color of the hat (to an almost phosporescent state that, while impressive, it's not the effect i was looking for), while the uniform itself remained unchanged (no idea why). I had no more luck trying to modify the hat. So for the moment i think that the vanilla dutch uniform should be enough :/

Zekedia222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Zekedia222 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:10 pm

No one ever expects the ̶s̶p̶a̶n̶i̶s̶h̶ DUTCH inquisition!!!

Winchester: Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
A great quote from one of my favorite TV shows, M*A*S*H

Zekedia222

Post by Zekedia222 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:20 am

If you wanted some variety in the Dutch unit model, you could replace one of the Dutch infantry models with a Gurkha model. I can elaborate on how do so, but it is pretty simple.
Winchester: Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
A great quote from one of my favorite TV shows, M*A*S*H

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”