Saturday March 16th - Themed Event semi-finals will start
Sunday March 31st - Themed Event final will start
Sunday April 14th - the tournament closes

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournament Diary and News . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:25 am

Invitations have been sent out to all those players who participated in Seasons 2 and 3 of the FOG2DL, except for those players who are excluded from this season because they failed to complete their matches in Season 3. Invitations have also been sent to around 75 new players who are either playing in the automated event or have recently appeared in the multi-player lobby of the game.

If you have played in the FOG2DL before and have not received an invitation please contact me in the first instance.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 am

Players who have entered Season 4 so far

Updated
Aeneas Stator
ahuyton
Barrold713
blobka
Bluefin
bomber23
Brenmusik
Breogan
cromlechi
Cunningcairn
desertedfox
deve
devoncop
dkalenda
Doyley50
DzonVejn
edb1815
gamercb
garymann
GDod
Geffalrus
General Shapur
ggarynorman
greekiraklis
harveylh
Hendricus
herm
Herode_2
hidde
iandavidsmith
ianiow
IMC
Jagger2002
jjaquemond
Karvon
KiFi
klayeckles
lydianed
markwatson360
mcpeake
melm
MikeC_81
MikeMUC
mkjhartmann
Morbio
MorkinTheFree
Najanaja
Nijis
NikiforosFokas
Nosy_Rat
nyczar
Okie
oscarius
pantherboy
paulmcneil
phoyle3290
rbodleyscott
rexhurley
Rob123
ruskicanuk
SawyerK
schmolywar
SLancaster
SpeedyCM
stockwellpete
sunnyboy
Tresantes
Triarii
Trogilus
Ulysisgrunt
XLegione
youngr
Zardoz02

(73)

Players shown in bold text are new to the FOG2DL.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:46 am

Recruitment is coming along steadily and we are nearly up to 50 players now. My target for this season is 60 so that the gradual decline in numbers is halted. I have sent out 40 reminder invitations this morning, mainly to players who have entered the tournament in the previous two seasons. I will also put an advert in the main forum today. Please continue to ask people to play so we fill up as many places as possible.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:11 am

Recruitment seems to be almost complete now as new sign-ups are down to a trickle. I have one player who has entered five sections in error and I am waiting too find out which section he is going to drop. So that will be one vacancy to fill and there are still two vacancies in Early Middle Ages. Once those are filled we will only have reserve list places available right across the tournament. In the unlikely event that we get six reserves for a particular section before next weekend then I would open another division.

We have 53 players signed up so far and I received a PM from another new player yesterday and I hope he will join the tournament. It still means that we have 4 or 5 fewer players than last time. Quite a few of our regulars have decided not to enter this season while others seem to be entering fewer sections than usual. This almost certainly means that Classical Antiquity and Early Middle Ages will have one less division this time. The other three sections have maintained their numbers.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 am

We have had a late flurry of applications over the weekend and it does give us a chance of adding an extra division or two across the tournament. What I have done is to say that where we have either 20 or 30 sign-ups there will definitely be 2 or 3 divisions so that all those players definitely know they will be playing. For players applying after the 20 or 30 thresholds have been established, I am saying that initially they will be signing up as a reserve unless we are able to reach 26 or 36 players respectively. If we manage to do this then I will open up an extra division so that they can all play and I will then keep recruitment open until we reach the required 30 or 40 players. In these circumstances it is not a problem if recruitment stays open beyond the start of the tournament because players will have sufficient opponents already available to start their matches.

Classical Antiquity now has 34 applicants so we only need two more players to sign up for there to be a fourth division. I am already speaking to two new players about this section so I am very hopeful that we will be able to run a fourth division again in what is usually our best supported section. I will also be PM'ing all players who have entered only one section so far to see if I can twist one or two arms into joining Classical Antiquity this time.

Late Antiquity has 34 applicants now, which is very good for a section that had 30 players last time. So we need 3 more applicants here before we can launch a fourth division.

Early Middle Ages has 22 applicants now, which is down from the 30 players we had last time. This section is handicapped by the relatively limited number of army choices available at the moment and really does need a new DLC before it can really thrive.

Biblical, the new section, has 23 applicants so far, which is the same size as the From Maurya to Alaric section it is replacing. Again this section will really benefit from having a second DLC covering the earliest armies in history.

The Themed Event has 18 applicants so there is enough for one pool of 16 players, the same as we had last time. I think it is unlikely that we will reach 24 players to enable us to run two pools of 12.

What all this means is that I am going to keep recruitment open for 3 or 4 more days before making a final decision on the number of divisions. I appreciate that this is a little bit longer than usual but we could still end up with a tournament the same size as last time. I will then post the divisions and army allocations probably on Friday or Saturday so that players will have about a week to get in a bit of practice before we start on February 1st.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:09 pm

We definitely have enough players to open up a fourth division in Classical Antiquity now. And Late Antiquity is looking quite promising for a fourth division too. :D

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 am

We have now reached our target of 60 players for this season! :D So that means we are a little bit bigger than what we had for Season 3 with 62 players registered so far. We also have thirteen new players registered which I think is the most that we have ever had at the start of a new season. Classical Antiquity is now full after the extra places were taken very quickly and I have now been able to open up a fourth division for Late Antiquity. At the time of writing this there are still three places available in this section.

Today I will work out the divisions for Classical Antiquity and post them up and I will send reminders by PM to all those players who are yet to submit their army selections. The deadline for doing this is the end of this Thursday (24th January).

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Reserve list for Season 4 . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 am

Just to explain to players who have entered the FOG2DL for the first time . . . the reserve lists contain players who missed the cut in the various sections of the tournament plus any player first applying to join the tournament after the deadlines have passed. Players from the reserve list may be invited to play for a number of reasons mainly to do with player withdrawals or players playing too slowly to pass the two Time Control checks we have at the 3 week stage and the 5 week stage (halfway point). The A/B and C/D at the beginning of each entry indicates which divisions the reserves are best suited to play in. For example, we would not put a completely new player into an "A" or "B" division.

Classical Antiquity
A/B - DzonVejn, Triarii, vacancy
C/D - Aeneas Stator, Okie, vacancy

Late Antiquity
A/B - DzonVejn, vacancy, vacancy
C/D - Aeneas Stator, mcpeake, bomber23, General Shapur

Early Middle Ages
A - vacancy, vacancy
B/C - Hendricus, Okie, General Shapur

Biblical
A - vacancy, vacancy
B/C - vacancy, vacancy

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Army allocations for Classical Antiquity . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 pm

This is the line-up for Classical Antiquity in Season 4. Only 4 players who played in Division A in Season 3 have returned this season, so this new Division A is comprised of players mostly from Divisions A and B from Season 3. Consequently everyone else in the other divisions has had to shift up as well. Division D is comprised solely of new players apart from the player relegated from Division C last time.

Division A
Cunningcairn 4.97
dkalenda 6.87
harveylh 6.76
hidde 9.50
klayeckles 7.03
nyczar 5.40
pantherboy 10.30
rexhurley 3.82
ruskicanuk 9.47
Ulysisgrunt 4.17

Division B
devoncop 4.44
ggarynorman 2.91
Hendricus 3.63
IMC 5.56
Morbio 4.15
oscarius 4.06
paulmcneil 4.46
SpeedyCM 4.91
Trogilus 3.41
XLegione 5.15

Division C
Barrold713 3.18
cromlechi 3.33
deve n/r
greekiraklis n/r
herm 3.56
Najanaja n/r
SLancaster 2.67
Tiglath n/r
Tresantes 1.67
Zardoz02 3.56

Division D
Bluefin 2.72
Geffalrus n/r
General Shapur n/r
Karvon n/r
KiFi n/r
MorkinTheFree n/r
phoyle3290 n/r
SawyerK n/r
sunnyboy n/r
Yaitz331 n/r

The tournament opens on Friday, February 1st.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:53 pm

We are up to 25 players now for the Biblical section. If we get one more player then I will open up a third division. Even if we start with 27 or 28 that is OK as we can add further players in the first couple of weeks of the season. There are always players seeking to join after the competition has started.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 am

I have closed recruitment to the Themed Event now as we clearly are not going to reach the next milestone of 24 players. So we we will have just one pool of 16 as usual with 4 qualifying groups of 4 players in each playing 3 single battles. The draw for the groups will take place live on the forum on Friday morning 10am UK time.

Early Middle Ages and Biblical will remain open until the end of Thursday to see if we can get enough players to open an extra division. If we do reach the required 26 players in either section then recruitment will stay open until we reach 30 players.

I will be posting the divisions for Late Antiquity later on this morning.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Army allocations for Late Antiquity . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:07 am

Division A
Breogan 4.33
Cunningcairn 4.97
dkalenda 6.87
harveylh 6.76
MikeC_81 9.33
Nijis 6.20
NikiforosFokas 5.32
nyczar 5.40
pantherboy 10.30
ruskicanuk 9.47

Division B
Bluefin 2.72
devoncop 4.44
IMC 5.56
Morbio 4.15
oscarius 4.06
rexhurley 3.82
SpeedyCM 4.91
Trogilus 3.41
XLegione 5.15
youngr 4.22

Division C
cromlechi 3.33
edb1815 3.61
gamercb 2.67
ggarynorman 2.91
greekiraklis n/r
herm 3.56
jjaquemond 3.17
MikeMUC 2.57
Ulysisgrunt 4.17
Zardoz02 3.56

Division D
Barrold713 3.18
blobka n/r
Brenmusik 1.26
Doyley50 2.44
Herode_2 1.94
MorkinTheFree n/r
Rob123 n/r
SLancaster 2.67
sunnyboy n/r
Tiglath n/r

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:46 pm

We have reached 26 players in Biblical so I have opened up a third division as promised. There are a further four vacancies available.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:39 am

We have received interest from a player regarding the Early Middle Ages section but it is really on an "half-in, half-out" basis. I have sent a PM asking for a definite commitment to play. Until that is received I cannot open a third division in that section. I will review the situation at the end of the day.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Divisions for Classical Antiquity . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:56 am

I have now added the current player rating score to this division list. For the benefit of new players, the significance of the player rating score is that it determines in which order each player has his army allocated. If we look at Division A, for example, we can see that the lowest rated player is rexhurley with a score of 3.82, so he will be allocated his army first and so will get his first choice army. That army, or the nation it came from, cannot then be used by any other player in that division. We do this to ensure an interesting spread of army selections. The next lowest rated player is Ulysisgrunt and he will get his first choice army only if it has not already been allocated. If it has, then we move to his second choice. And this procedure is repeated through the division until we come to the top rated player who is pantherboy. By this time, nine armies (and nations) have been allocated so pantherboy will probably be allocated his third, or even his fourth army selection.

You can also see in the lists above that a number of players have "n/r" after their name. This means they have no current rating. This is usually because they are a new player, or it may be that they are returning to the competition after a long break. Najanaja and Tiglath are two such players this season.

The player ratings can be found here . . . viewtopic.php?f=501&t=80847

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Divisions for Late Antiquity . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 am

I have now added the current player rating score to this division list. For the benefit of new players, the significance of the player rating score is that it determines in which order each player has his army allocated. If we look at Division A, for example, we can see that the lowest rated player is Breogan with a score of 4.33, so he will be allocated his army first and so will get his first choice army. That army, or the nation it came from, cannot then be used by any other player in that division. We do this to ensure an interesting spread of army selections. The next lowest rated player is Cunningcairn and he will get his first choice army only if it has not already been allocated. If it has, then we move to his second choice. And this procedure is repeated through the division until we come to the top rated player who is pantherboy. By this time, nine armies (and nations) have been allocated so pantherboy will probably be allocated his third, or even his fourth army selection.

You can also see in the lists above that a number of players have "n/r" after their name. This means they have no current rating. This is usually because they are a new player, or it may be that they are returning to the competition after a long break.

The player ratings can be found here . . . viewtopic.php?f=501&t=80847

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 pm

A different player has signed up for Early Middle Ages this evening so now we definitely will have three divisions in this section as well.

Zardoz02
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Zardoz02 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 am

LOL so the 'Z' thing doesn't matter any more. So much for 'gaming' my selections...

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:30 am

Zardoz02 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 am
LOL so the 'Z' thing doesn't matter any more. So much for 'gaming' my selections...
:lol: It is worse than that because I am afraid that I am going to have to ask you to make a fifth selection as all your four choices were taken! You were seeded number 1 in Division C so you were the last player to have their army allocated. You will need to choose an army from a nation that has not already been selected. I will post up the full army selections shortly.

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”